Allowing weapon to remove combat protection magic?

Is it possible to allow a weapon a percentage chance to remove particular protections from the target? For example, modifying a sword to have a 33% to remove Absolute Immunity from the target? I have tried playing with the removal effects by opcode/resource, settings its probability to 100%, but it does not seem to work. I was thinking because they cannot land a hit in the first place, the removal effect cannot activate? Is there a way to bypass that?

Thank you.

Yes, but you will need to use the latest release of EEex to do so. Big thanks to @Bubb for that recent update. With the recent release of EEex, you will need to set special to 1 for opcodes 248 or 249 (whichever you are using) on the item you want to bypass protections.

I use this in my Wizard Slayer Enhancements (Skills and Abilities mod) to allow a Wizard Slayer to have a Dispel Magic on hit (10% chance) that bypasses PfMW and the like. You can tailor this to either remove anything you specifically want to.

On-hit effects don't trigger if the hit itself is prevented by absolute protections such as Protection from Normal Weapons or Protection from Magical Weapons. In the standard game without modifying the executable, that is.

You can create a melee Breach-like ability (Ascension does this with Balthazar), but that's necessarily not just an effect on top of a normal attack.

There is a non-EEex workaround: add an op232 contingency effect to Absolute Immunity and similar spells, which will trigger “when hit.” This will be triggered by a melee weapon even when the attack does not land (e.g. hit by a longsword +2 while under PfMW). Set the contingency to a sub-100% probability to reduce how often it occurs. 

The trick is to limit the triggered effect based on the weapon or person striking you. In short, fire a spell at the attacker, which fires another spell back at the protected mage, using target mode 9 and filtering for a kit or spellstate or something. This way you could e.g. allow Wizard Slayers to do this but not others. 

It’s tricky and I haven’t yet do e the testing to find the precise parameters required, but it can be done. 

On 2/6/2023 at 6:34 AM, morpheus562 said:

Yes, but you will need to use the latest release of EEex to do so. Big thanks to @Bubb for that recent update. With the recent release of EEex, you will need to set special to 1 for opcodes 248 or 249 (whichever you are using) on the item you want to bypass protections.

Oh, I had not heard of EEex before, I will take a look at the documentation for it. Is it a seperate .exe like NearInfinity?

On 2/6/2023 at 6:57 AM, jmerry said:

On-hit effects don't trigger if the hit itself is prevented by absolute protections such as Protection from Normal Weapons or Protection from Magical Weapons. In the standard game without modifying the executable, that is.

Thats the thing, in my mind while thinking about it technically the weapon is striking the target even though they are protected and thus the on-hit action should activate. Main reason I wanted to look into it was to prevent cheese defence against bosses, so that they had a chance to remove it with their attacks. 

Also, is there a description on what Power Levels do for spells ? I know from reading in another post that Power 0 allows spells to bypass Spell Deflection, is that right?

Edited by Moonboy187
47 minutes ago, Moonboy187 said:

Thats the thing, in my mind while thinking about it technically the weapon is striking the target even though they are protected and thus the on-hit action should activate.

It works that way with Stoneskin, but not with PfMW/Absolute Immunity. With PfMW etc., on-hit effects do not fire but contingencies do. 

Another possibility: just make it so PfMW is not foolproof. Rather than limiting removal to hits by Wizard Slayers or whatever, you could just add a when-hit contingency to PfMW with a 10% chance of firing, do that there’s an chance that any weapon hit will shatter the protection. This would probably serve your purpose and be very easy to implement (which is always a virtue).

EEEx is not simply a WeiDU mod. Unlike pure WeiDU mods, it alters the game's executable. This is done in order to add new functionality for the sake of other mods, and indeed it's the only way to do that. It also comes with disadvantages - notably, that it's not platform-independent. I play on a Mac, and that means that in EEEx's current state, I couldn't use it even if I wanted to.