Question about Imoen and the Thief Stronghold (and few other issues)

Forgot to log in the first time and accidentally posted this thread as a guest, my apologies.

Hey there,

I am a little confused about a certain part: 

So from what I've basically understood: The NPC that you want to give the stronghold to, HAS to be in your party the first time it's being offered, after you finish the pre-requisite quest.

I want Imoen to take control of the Thief Stronghold, but since she is in Spellhold in Chapter 2, and won't be seeing Atkhaktla until Chapter 6... does that mean I basically have to postpone the last part of the Mae'Var's questline (where we go kill him), all the way until after Chapter 6, correct?

Apologies if this is a dumb question. I haven't played modded BG2 for quite a few years now and decided to go back just now, so just wanted to clarify some things for myself. :D

Edited by Avallach
14 hours ago, Avallach said:

I want Imoen to take control of the Thief Stronghold, but since she is in Spellhold in Chapter 2, and won't be seeing Atkhaktla until Chapter 6... does that mean I basically have to postpone the last part of the Mae'Var's questline (where we go kill him), all the way until after Chapter 6, correct?

Can't answer from first hand experience because of having none yet, but having read way too much about related stuff lately, this indeed seems to be how it works. Might even be mentioned in the mod's readme?

You might also be interested in this mod if you don't want to wait until Chapter 6. Just look at the readme for information regarding compatibility. From actual experience, @jastey is very good with documentation.

@Lurker Thanks for the appreciation!

I think Imoen4Ever and NPC Stronghold were made compatible as in, the actual events from the Stronghold mod are delayed until after chapter 6. (But you can gain it in chapter 2/3.)

To the OP's question:

15 hours ago, Avallach said:

does that mean I basically have to postpone the last part of the Mae'Var's questline (where we go kill him), all the way until after Chapter 6, correct?

Yes. From the mod's readme (bold by me):

This is the primary component of the mod. Note that, in order to gain a stronghold for an NPC, you need to have that NPC in your party when you do the quest that leads to the strongholds.

Yes, that does mean you can only get a stronghold for Imoen if you side with the Shadow Thieves and do the quest Renal Bloodscalp gives you in Chapter Six.

You should also have the cleric to whom you wish to give the cleric stronghold (Anomen or Aerie) in your party when you first go to the Temple District and hear Gaal's speech.

2 hours ago, Lurker said:

Can't answer from first hand experience because of having none yet, but having read way too much about related stuff lately, this indeed seems to be how it works. Might even be mentioned in the mod's readme?

You might also be interested in this mod if you don't want to wait until Chapter 6. Just look at the readme for information regarding compatibility. From actual experience, @jastey is very good with documentation.

1 hour ago, jastey said:

@Lurker Thanks for the appreciation!

I think Imoen4Ever and NPC Stronghold were made compatible as in, the actual events from the Stronghold mod are delayed until after chapter 6. (But you can gain it in chapter 2/3.)

To the OP's question:

Yes. From the mod's readme (bold by me):

Gotcha. Thank you so much for answer you two! After thinking about it for a bit, I decided to actually opt for Jan as a guild leader. :D I assume yet again, the same applies to him - have him in the party for the last part of quest, when reporting Mae'Var's death to Renal.

Speaking of the Cleric stronghold, I had Anomen in my party during  Gaal's speech and throughout the Unseeing Eye quest, but I am unable to actually turn the quest in.

Anomen accepts the stronghold and I get 8000 gold as a reward (but no xp), but my journal doesn't update and upon speaking to the priest again, it just keeps looping the same  previous dialogue with the same 8k gold reward. Any idea what might be causing it? :(

The whole cleric stronghold questline still proceeds just fine, I am just unable to finish the "Unseeing Eye" questline itself.

Any idea how to fix that or if there are even any console commands that help me actually finish it?

EDIT: I poked around in NearInfinity and the only variable that I managed to found was "UNSEEINGEYE" which was set to 2, which I assume should already mean it has been finished? I am so confused at this moment 😐

Edited by Avallach
34 minutes ago, jastey said:

Can you quote the looping dialogue line?

Sure, it starts with "Your return was foreseen, though what you would say is unknown. Is this cult to be believed? Speak what you know."

Anomen then takes over the conversation and it leads to the dialogue branch that's on the picture below.

Choosing the first one proceeds with Anomen accepting the Stronghold, and me getting 8k gold, but quest does not get marked as finished.

Choosing the second one makes Anomen reject the Stronghold and I get 7k gold along with Ardulia's Fall +1 mace, but the quest again does not get marked as finished.

In both cases when I speak to the priest again, the dialogue will again start from "Your return was foreseen..."leading to the same results and loop as above

Snímek obrazovky 2023-04-20 194516.png

Edited by Avallach

@Avallach that's indeed helpful. From what I see in teh mod files, the following snippet seems to loop for you.

Spoiler

CHAIN IF WEIGHT #-1 ~Global("KishPEFHT","GLOBAL",0)
InParty("Anomen")
!Dead("Anomen")
Global("KishAnomenFighterStronghold","GLOBAL",0)
Global("BeholderPlot","GLOBAL",1)
Dead("UnseeingEye")~ THEN BHOISIG OisigWelcomesVictoriousAnomenBack
@1482 /* ~Your return was foreseen, though what you would say is unknown. Is this cult to be believed? Speak what you know.~ */
== ANOMENJ @1484 /* ~It was a beholder cult, but I have destroyed the beast and dispersed the cult!~ */ DO ~EraseJournalEntry(2025)
EraseJournalEntry(2028)
EraseJournalEntry(2065)
EraseJournalEntry(2069)
EraseJournalEntry(34387)
EraseJournalEntry(34388)
EraseJournalEntry(34391)
EraseJournalEntry(34399)
EraseJournalEntry(34407)
EraseJournalEntry(34413)
EraseJournalEntry(34416)
EraseJournalEntry(34417)
EraseJournalEntry(34418)
EraseJournalEntry(34419)
EraseJournalEntry(34420)
EraseJournalEntry(34422)
EraseJournalEntry(30375)
EraseJournalEntry(34386)
EraseJournalEntry(@99937)
EraseJournalEntry(@99936)
EraseJournalEntry(@99935)
EraseJournalEntry(@99934)
EraseJournalEntry(@99933)
EraseJournalEntry(@99932)
EraseJournalEntry(@99931)
EraseJournalEntry(@99930)
EraseJournalEntry(@99929)
EraseJournalEntry(@99928)
AddJournalEntry(@99925,QUEST_DONE)
SetGlobal("BeholderPlot","GLOBAL",2)
ReputationInc(1)
AddXPObject(Player1,45750)
AddXPObject(Player2,45750)
AddXPObject(Player3,45750)
AddXPObject(Player4,45750)
AddXPObject(Player5,45750)
AddXPObject(Player6,45750)~
== BHOISIG @1485 /* ~A beholder cult in the very heart of Helm's sight? You have done a great service removing it! We will send clergy to remove all taint of its presence.~ */
= @1486 /* ~Now, to what you are due. You are one that walks in faith with Helm's ideals, and you have earned a payment that is beyond mere wealth.~ */
== ANOMENJ @1487 /* ~I'm glad you recognize the value of my service, High Watcher.~ */
== BHOISIG @1488 /* ~You are granted a place in Helm's sight. I know your relationship with the Order of the Radiant Heart, but from this day forward you will be part of the clergy of this temple as well.~ */
= @1489 /* ~You are given quarters here, a personal space to house your belongings.  You are honored.~ */
== ANOMENJ @1490 /* ~If I have the time with my other committments, certainly I will assist in the temple. <CHARNAME>?~ */
END
++ @1491 /* ~Oh, by all means, I wouldn't want to come between you and your god.~ */ EXTERN BHOISIG AnomenAcceptsTemple
++ @1492 /* ~We don't have time for this, I'm afraid, Anomen.~ */ EXTERN BHOISIG AnomenDeclines

CHAIN BHOISIG AnomenDeclines
@1493 /* ~You cannot? This is your duty and your calling. Do you cast aside that duty? Is this your true wish?~ */
== ANOMENJ @1494 /* ~My duty to <CHARNAME> takes precedence; I will not make a third committment here.~ */
== BHOISIG @1495 /* ~Then you are not worthy. You have turned down a gift that some will never receive. So be it.~ */ DO ~GiveItemCreate("BLUN20","Anomen",0,0,0)
GiveGoldForce(7000)
SetGlobal("KishAnomenDeclinedTemple","GLOBAL",1)~
= @1496 /* ~Oh! Speak with Guardian Telwyn as you leave. He may have a task suited to you, though Helm reserves true blessings for those that follow.~ */ EXIT

CHAIN BHOISIG AnomenAcceptsTemple
@1497 /* ~Then know the duties: you must be vigilant, fair and diligent. Protect the weak, the unpopular, the injured, and the young. Do not sacrifice them for others.~ */
= @1498 /* ~You must anticipate attacks and be ready, know your foes, and care mindfully for your weapons so that you can perform your duties properly when called upon.~ */
= @1499 /* ~Never betray trust. This is all-important. All else pales. These are the tenets, now seek Acolyte Byron here for your new duties. Welcome to Helm's sight.~ */ DO ~GiveGoldForce(8000)
AddJournalEntry(@99924,QUEST)
SetGlobal("KishAnomenClericStronghold","GLOBAL",1)
CreateCreature("HELMBYR",[1066.774],4)~
== ANOMENJ @1500 /* ~You will not regret appointing me to this position.~ */
== BHOISIG @1501 /* ~May the Watcher guard you.~ */ EXIT

Problem is: there is a lot of transactions after Anomen's first reply, one of them sets Global("BeholderPlot","GLOBAL",2) to 2 so this dialogue shouldn't loop at all because it checks for Global("BeholderPlot","GLOBAL",1) being 1. There is also a closed journal entry being set:

@99925 = ~Investigate and destroy the Cult of the Eyeless.

We completed Anomen's task for the church and found the source of the cult of this Unseeing Eye.  The cult was run by a blind Beholder, yet the creature was still immensely powerful and we were lucky to be able to destroy it.  The entire cult has been routed as a result of the Beholder's death.~

What is the variable Global("BeholderPlot","GLOBAL") in your game after the dialogue happened? Do you have this journal entry in your journal?

Which version of the mod are you playing, would you post your weidu.log?

@jastey

Sure thing, I am currently using version v8 of the mod from the main site. Enclosing my weidu log as well.

I also checked the variable ("BeholderPlot","GLOBAL") after both dialogue options and it shows number 1 everytime.

And no, that journal entry does not show in my journal at all. The last one there for me, is the one that starts with "I have encountered the so-called guardians of the dungeon bellow.", and that's it.

WeiDU.log

Edited by Avallach

But Anomen does say the line ~It was a beholder cult, but I have destroyed the beast and dispersed the cult!~, right?

If you set ("BeholderPlot","GLOBAL") to 2 that should fix the loop at least, but the unfinished quest entry will stay. Cheatcode is

CLUAConsole:SetGlobal("BeholderPlot","GLOBAL",2)

I really don't know why the transactions do not get performed in your game, though.

8 minutes ago, jastey said:

But Anomen does say the line ~It was a beholder cult, but I have destroyed the beast and dispersed the cult!~, right?

If you set ("BeholderPlot","GLOBAL") to 2 that should fix the loop at least, but the unfinished quest entry will stay. Cheatcode is

CLUAConsole:SetGlobal("BeholderPlot","GLOBAL",2)

I really don't know why the transactions do not get performed in your game, though.

Yes, Anomen does say the line about destroying the cult. But for some reason I don't seem to get any journal entries updates or anything. :(

Oh and I did actually try to set the BeholderPlot to 2 as well, haha.

But the priest then started talking to me as if I rejected the offer of joining the stronghold.

I also forgot to mention that after Gaal's speech, both Oisig and Arvaal actually spawned, but only Oisig initiated the dialogue with me?

Not sure if this info may help, since I thought Arvaal spawns only when you are a good aligned cleric?

I am honestly kinda at a loss too. I am thinking about reloading an earlier save to experiment with different approaches and checking the variables everytime or something..

EDIT: Another way would be probably just uninstalling NPC Strongholds altogether but I fear I might probably break something since it's mid game? 

Edited by Avallach