Question about Shine on Caelar

The warning is intended because the mod alters some part of the original story.

It's therefore recommended that you play the original SoD version without partially plot-altering mods to get the full experience, but you don't have to worry about messing up your playthrough...

The modifications are listed in the readme :

Spoiler

Mod for EET and BGEE/SoD

Caelar Argent is an original SoD NPC.
Her story ends with the SoD part of Baldur's Gate. The interactions and possible solutions for the player with her in the original game are limited.
The mod comes in two parts, one for SoD and a second for ToB (the second part is only available for EET and requires that she survived the first encounter.)

Features:
- Part 1 SoD Alternative (SoD or EET)
Many players have felt that the protagonist is denied the valid option during the negotiations with Caelar to decide in favour of her offers to join efforts against Avernus.
This mod allows the player to overrule the coalition leaders and make an own decision about joining Caelar. The prerequisite is that the player knows enough about the betrayal planned by her advisor and/or tries to avoid the bloody battle over Dragonspear Castle. The option for decision appears in the negotiation at Dead Man's Pass, provided the player has left way for such a decision by previous dialogues and actions.
The more information the protagonist has gained during the game about Caelar and those near her, the more options are available while at her side.
The Shining Lady will not become join-able during SoD and her fate when leaving Avernus remains as in the original game. The remaining plot in SoD is not affected, only during the trial you get an option to use your decision as additional argument.
Do NOT use this mod when playing SoD for the first time. It bypasses the semi-cinematic battles at coalition camp and breaking into Dragonspear Castle. The crusaders retreat peacefully and the Castle is in the hands of the Flaming Fist after you return from Avernus.

- Part 2 Caelar's Rescue (EET only)
This addition (for EET only) will allow you to finally release the Shining Lady from Avernus. The extension starts in ToB when you meet Aun Argent in Saradush. Your Bhaal plane portal allows you to access other parts of Hell and by this provides a means to rescue Caelar and let her join your party.
This way all your former opponents from the various campaigns (Sarevok, Caelar and Irenicus) may be added to your final party.
Instead of seeking redemption as a fallen paladin, Caelar will try to become the champion of a rising new god, although her idea about your role differs quite a bit from Sarevok's view...
Caelar has a quest concerning the souls lost in Avernus which includes the party's return to Dragonspear and various SoD areas.

I don't know if Roxanne still checks the forum or will answer your question...

Edited by JohnBob

Can anyone speak to how this mod is?

I've seen that The Artisan is working on a Caelar mod, but it looks like it's still in development.

A mod that entails saving Caelar really appeals to me, so this mod might be up my alley; I just wanted to hear of any feedback here.

You ahould note that the Corwin mod "Love Conquers All" also has a quest to rescue Caelar in TOB. I never got that far in testing that mod yet but based on the SoA content of LCA, I would confidently expect it to be better written than Roxanne's at the very least.

That having been said, I do like the option in Roxanne's mod to join the Crusade (which I have used for certain runs), so I envisage in future that I would install the first part of her mod and not the second due to overlap with LCA.

Edited by megrimlock

Ahh yes, I had forgotten that a "save Caelar" quest resides in LCA. I'll have to check that out.

I read a little bit more about the Roxanne mod (specifically pertaining to Caelar's motivations after you rescue her) and am hesitant to download. Joining the crusade would definitely be a cool thing to do with it, though.

Thanks for your reply, megrimlock!

Edited by Granger77