Can you curse an equipped non-cursed item via script?

I have an idea for a sword/shield combo. Both are non-cursed originally and it's possible to equip either one without repercussion. However, if the character has both equipped at the same time, both items become cursed.

Is such a thing possible to do directly with a .BCS script or other means?

I noticed opcode "Use EFF file as curse (283)" but no idea what this means. A possible workaround is to tie both items to a script where when both are equipped, it simply replaces the equipped items with a cursed version (meaning I will have to create a cursed and non-cursed version of each item). I'm hoping for a simpler solution...

On the EEs, yes. You can check if both items are equipped, and then use TransformItem to swap the old item(s) to the new, cursed item(s). You can also do it on the originals, but you'll need a lot more commands to remove the old item, add the new one, and then equip it.

As for opcode 283 - that's for spell-like curses, which inflict some condition on a creature and can only be removed with Remove Curse. For example, one of the cards in the game you play with Aesgareth inflicts a curse of weakness on you, setting your strength to 6. You can't dispel it; only a Remove Curse can restore your original strength.

21 hours ago, CamDawg said:

On the EEs, yes. You can check if both items are equipped, and then use TransformItem to swap the old item(s) to the new, cursed item(s). You can also do it on the originals, but you'll need a lot more commands to remove the old item, add the new one, and then equip it.

Wouldn't

278 TakeItemReplace(S:Give*,S:Take*,O:Object*) 

do the trick in the classic games?

On 7/4/2023 at 9:51 PM, CamDawg said:

I tested it using 356 TransformItem(S:OldItem*,S:NewItem*), but it doesn't activate the cursed flag for the new item as per the description. Perhaps it's my setup. I'll continue testing before I resort to including additional equip functions...

Are you saying that after transforming to the cursed item, you can just unequip it normally? Or are you saying that there's no "Cursed" portrait icon? Because if it's the latter, the portrait icon needs to be an explicit equip effect; you don't get one just for having an item with the "cursed" flag equipped.

32 minutes ago, jmerry said:

Are you saying that after transforming to the cursed item, you can just unequip it normally? Or are you saying that there's no "Cursed" portrait icon? Because if it's the latter, the portrait icon needs to be an explicit equip effect; you don't get one just for having an item with the "cursed" flag equipped.

It's the former but there seems to be a conflict somewhere. Half the time it works, the other half it doesn't until I restart the game. Will need to check this.

When it does work, the "Cursed" portrait icon doesn't show up so will have to remedy that too.

Thanks!