Water layer corruption in PVRZ+TIS file

1 hour ago, szef said:

Thanks, I changed in NI, but still the same problem :(.

I don't know anything about this honestly... but someone else might know better, if they could see your files of the area, so you might want to upload them somewhere and so they can check them out. ..

Ok, test area, fragment with water. The texture is from BG2 (WTLAKE.TIS), different from the screenshot, but the problem is the same.

First I created everything in dltcep, then 'tis2ovl bb#000.wed', then in NI 'export TIS as PVRZ based'. And that's all.

(I have not yet experimented with a different background under the water texture....)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ko-vTia0cY8KVbTejvLYqh-ZRc1of0J7/view?usp=sharing

Edited by szef

I have looked at the area, the overlay behaves completely normally. The movement of the water seems to be correct. You could try a different overlay that has less movement and therefore appears less hectic. But I think the appearance of the water is fine.

57 minutes ago, Acifer said:

You could try a different overlay that has less movement and therefore appears less hectic.

Hmm, "different overlay" what do you mean by that?

25 minutes ago, Jarno Mikkola said:

Also, what is the area's "windspeed" ?

Idk where to find that variable :D. Is it necessary to "change it by code" ?

1 hour ago, szef said:

Ok, test area, fragment with water. The texture is from BG2 (WTLAKE.TIS), different from the screenshot, but the problem is the same.

First I created everything in dltcep, then 'tis2ovl bb#000.wed', then in NI 'export TIS as PVRZ based'. And that's all.

(I have not yet experimented with a different background under the water texture....)

I agree with Acifer that the water overlays work as expected in your test sample. Since the background of the water tiles are mostly solid black you'll see a very strong overlay effect from the water tileset. Adding some background to the water tiles will probably reduce the effect somewhat. In that case you could also tweak the "Overlay transparency" field in the ARE file (formerly known as 'Wind Speed') to adjust overlay transparency.

Alternatively, do it the SoD way and use WBM video overlays instead:

Spoiler

Baldr057.thumb.jpg.d49f71c73c60be630adc467b9ef25848.jpg

Btw, next release of Near Infinity provides a greatly improved TIS conversion feature that takes care of visual artifacts on PVRZ-based tilesets, handles overlay conversions between oBG2 and EE engine, and more. (Select "Export... > as PVRZ/palette-based TIS" from an opened TIS resource to test this feature.)

A preview version can already be tested from the Nightly Releases: https://github.com/Argent77/NearInfinity/releases/tag/nightly

Spoiler

tis_convert_settings.thumb.jpg.b64e9546ddae6cbbf8f81ff32b8f09db.jpg

Edited by argent77
On 4/19/2024 at 11:59 AM, argent77 said:

A preview version can already be tested from the Nightly Releases

@argent77: I have also tested this nightly NI version on several tilesets of Call of the Lost Goddess - works smoothly and delivers perfect results. And an automatic conversion from classic BG2 tiles to BG2EE is also included. 🤩

Fantastic! Thank you so much for finally solving this annoying pvrz-overlay-issue!

On 4/19/2024 at 4:59 AM, argent77 said:

Btw, next release of Near Infinity provides a greatly improved TIS conversion feature that takes care of visual artifacts on PVRZ-based tilesets, handles overlay conversions between oBG2 and EE engine, and more. (Select "Export... > as PVRZ/palette-based TIS" from an opened TIS resource to test this feature.)

A preview version can already be tested from the Nightly Releases: https://github.com/Argent77/NearInfinity/releases/tag/nightly

Reveal hidden contents

tis_convert_settings.thumb.jpg.b64e9546ddae6cbbf8f81ff32b8f09db.jpg

This deserves it's own topic.  At this point NI deserves it's own subforum (it actually has one over at Pocket Plane but no one uses it).  I have questions, I have comments, once I try it for myself I'll have suggestions.

1 hour ago, Sam. said:

This deserves it's own topic.  At this point NI deserves it's own subforum (it actually has one over at Pocket Plane but no one uses it).  I have questions, I have comments, once I try it for myself I'll have suggestions.

You are a terrible person... http://www.shsforums.net/topic/45358-nearinfinity/

😁 As in, it only has 58 pages of filled with 20 posts a page.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola