Infinity sound v2 topic and recommendations. Questions

So, the Gibberlings topic (https://www.gibberlings3.net/forums/topic/37070-infinity-sounds-v20-released/#comment-326112) brings you to SHS, but as we know SHS is not reachable right now.

The readme is very well done. My questions:

1) Restore BG1 GUI Sounds - what's the compatibility of this mod with UI mods, such as Lefreut's UI? I take that I shouldn't probably use Lefreut's UI if using this one.

2) Tweak Sound Channel Volume Levels - Did you try to balance the different "sounds" that one can hear during the playthrough? I wonder what kind of "unbalance" you felt warranted tweaking (that's the term you used, rather than "fixing", so I'm curious).

3) On reddit I've found this post: https://www.reddit.com/r/baldursgate/comments/161xc3z/comment/jxxhff2/?utm_source=reddit&utm_medium=web2x&context=3 . To be sure about this claim, I've tested it myself.

For the alaundo's criers I noticed that they are like in the original BG1.
For the town criers, even if I played the original bg, I don't remember this being a thing. I checked the EE and they have almost no dialogue if you right click them - is the guy doing a false claim ? (reminds me of the people that said that with 18 CHA your party members wouldn't clash on BG1, that I think was debunked).

1) is fine. It kinda sounds weird but it works.

3) BGEE right-click-on-enemies is engine-bugged, the engine doesn't play them properly. 2.6 only fixed this on BG2EE for some reason. The claim is valid. EET is set up to support these sets but doesn't attempt fixing them itself (besides moving them to follow SoD vs BG2 CRE soundslot layout differences), and I believe that it belongs to EE Fixpack's scope to attempt going through these and sorting them out (IWDEE is actually in an even worse state than the others because most of the CRE soundslots are still using oIWD layout). The reference standard should be @skellytz's TobExAL+BGT setup.

3 hours ago, Morgoth said:

So, the Gibberlings topic (https://www.gibberlings3.net/forums/topic/37070-infinity-sounds-v20-released/#comment-326112) brings you to SHS, but as we know SHS is not reachable right now.

I've also set up GitHub Discussions for comments, questions, and suggestions. You can track reports and fixes in Issues.

The readme is very well done.

Thank you. I need to add labels indicating which games are supported by each component because it may be confusing.

1) Restore BG1 GUI Sounds - what's the compatibility of this mod with UI mods, such as Lefreut's UI? I take that I shouldn't probably use Lefreut's UI if using this one.

Does Lefreut's UI override the existing GUI sounds? At a glance, it doesn't seem to contain any audio files, so it most likely uses the default ones and the mods are compatible.

2) Tweak Sound Channel Volume Levels - Did you try to balance the different "sounds" that one can hear during the playthrough? I wonder what kind of "unbalance" you felt warranted tweaking (that's the term you used, rather than "fixing", so I'm curious).

The most audible differences are:

• The so-called main area ambients use BG1 channel volume because they are mostly used in BG1 areas (BGT, EET). BG2 areas typically use looped ambients instead of main ambients in a different section of the area file, which have a separate channel.
  • Spellcasting voices slightly attenuated to match the lower volume levels of post-casting sounds
  • GUI sounds use BG1 volume
  • A bit louder footsteps and armor walking sounds

3) On reddit I've found this post: https://www.reddit.com/r/baldursgate/comments/161xc3z/comment/jxxhff2/?utm_source=reddit&utm_medium=web2x&context=3 .
For the town criers, even if I played the original bg, I don't remember this being a thing.

The author of that post exaggerated the town crier's sounds. In BG1, his selection sound is "Hear ye! Hear ye!" and his rare nine-click selection sound is "I'm actually quite shy!" His existence/idle sound slots are: "Hear ye! Hear ye!" (80%) and "I'm actually quite shy!" (20%). So, no, he doesn't have existence/idle sounds with "news about the region."

I checked the EE and they have almost no dialogue if you right click them - is the guy doing a false claim ?

Right clicking should produce the selection sound "Hear ye! Hear ye!" That's it. When actually talking to the crier, he'll mention Bassilus; react once you've completed the quest; and if your reputation is low, say that there's a bounty placed on your head.

Edited by skellytz
4 hours ago, Morgoth said:

Thanks to you both. Last thing: should I install this mod last (even after SCS), together with the recommendations?

What's the reason to go after SCS? Almost certainly putting it after SCS is fine, but equally I can't think of any way in which putting SCS later will cause problems. (With vanishingly few, legacy, exceptions, SCS clones its new creatures and items from in-game files rather than copying over new ones, so new items should inherit changes.)

I suppose if you're getting Icewind Dale spells from SCS there'd be an issue?

1) how "compatible" is the mod below? Planning to use it for next playthrough ;)

Install it after Infinity Sounds.

2) Do you use the Nostalgia pack by AC, and if yes, which parts? 

Of course, Nostalgia Pack is awesome. These days I play only the classics, though.

@skellytz,

1) do you use Infinity sounds in bg2 too? If yes, which components? I'm kinda undecided.

2) I'm also undecided about the nostalgia pack by Andreacolombo for BG2 - more importantly, if I should install 
Restore BG Item Icons & Appearance.

3) Do you have a list anywhere of what is removed by "Undo EE changes"?

• Remove extra items added to stores and characters that are not part of one of the new NPCs' storyline. This includes extra copies of items that were already there (e.g. Gauntlets of Weapon exprtise), new items added by the Enhanced Editions, and copies of BG2 items (e.g. katanas, wakizashis, ninja-tos.)
  • Restore original stock in the Friendly Arm store.
Edited by Morgoth
17 minutes ago, Morgoth said:

1) do you use Infinity sounds in bg2 too? If yes, which components? I'm kinda undecided.

Yes, all the components. I've spent countless hours comparing the sounds and I simply prefer the BG1 variants.

22 minutes ago, Morgoth said:

2) I'm also undecided about the nostalgia pack by Andreacolombo for BG2 - more importantly, if I should install Restore BG Item Icons & Appearance.

3) Do you have a list anywhere of what is removed by "Undo EE changes"?

These questions should be for @Andrea C.

Let me quote the readme:

replaces the default Latin spell recitation with the sinister and ritualistic incantations from the classic BG1.

First, Latin isn't exactly the language I want to hear in a D&D game. Second, the BG1 variants fit my image of a wizard practicing the arts of magic, which often means going through certain sacrifices, a mental toll, reaching darker corners of the mind, speaking to the whimsical powers of the universe, etc. I don't want to think about Julius Caesar, medieval scribes, legal terms or surgical operations when casting spells in BG. And tongue-in-cheek pop-cultural references like Hadouken match the overall tone of the game which always make me reminisce and smile.

Most of the weapon swings and shots in BG2 sound much different than in the prequel. Flails, spears, bows, and crossbows are prime examples here.

So, the BG1 weapon sounds are more varied and I'd say maybe more authentic that way.

replaces the default combat hit sounds with their BG1 counterparts. The former tend to be a bit more abrupt, while the latter have more emphasized clashes and thumps.

The BG2 armor sounds are comedic or cartoonish to me in comparison.

some players may wish to restore the original BG1 sounds for the UI panels and inventory management. The most noticeable difference is that the BG2 inventory variants have an additional rattle.

Personally, I quickly grew tired of that rattle.

As far as the spellcasting sound effects are concerned, I mostly prefer the BG1 variants. They match the spellcasting voices. I want consistency, so I went for BG1 spellcasting sounds for all the spells where the change makes sense.

Very good mod.

The only thing that I dislike is that after the spellcasting sounds, you get the BZZZZ or the PIPIPIPI and it's kinda not appropriate (I take they point for a "status" change, like imprisoned?).

E.g Irenicus when fighting the cowled wizard in the monastery. But there are other examples, I forgot them (sorry).

Edited by Morgoth