Changing a tweak after EET_End installed and game started

The engine_name variable within engine.lua in the game folder defines the profile subfolder's name (aka the folder in Documents). Changing that one variable ensures that the entire duplicate is sandboxed if necessary. That's all there's to it.

Just never listen to Jarno. Guy doesn't know anything about the games at all, and tries to discredit everyone else instead of learning.

Edited by Graion Dilach
3 hours ago, Holden said:

I didn't mean to undermine your mod in any way.  I would've definitely kept the randomized music if it didn't affect the big boss encounters.  And thanks for the suggestion--I will follow it.

No offense taken. Most of my tweaks are born of the tinkering I've done on for own play, and other people will want different things out of their experience. I'm just happy when I see people using my stuff.

Then there are some tweaks I've put together that I'd never use myself - like one time someone wanted all the battle music gone. (My solution to that one: reuse the same code for setting battle music in all areas, but set it to "none" so that the area music just keeps playing)

9 minutes ago, Jarno Mikkola said:

And you coudn't ever bothered to mention this before, well this very moment.

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/1170682/#Comment_1170682

If someone asks about it, I tend to bring this up. I'm pretty sure I tend to mention this on Discord as well.

16 minutes ago, Jarno Mikkola said:

And STOP bad mounting me.

Stop vomiting factually wrong word salads and then I don't have a reason to call out your bullshit. It'd be just this simple.

9 hours ago, Graion Dilach said:

Grab NearInfinity.

https://gibberlings3.github.io/iesdp/appendices/area_lists/bg2aref.htm has the area list. Open the area file you want to restore the music of (filename.are). Also, drag it's counterpart from weidu_external/backup/jtweaks/330 into the tool. so you get it in a separate window. Scroll down to Songs on both entries and double-click on them. You'll see that the 4th entry from the top is called Battle Music. Select it on the active one and change it back on the bottom list to what the backup variant has. When you're done, close the popups and use the Save button at the bottom of the main ARE file window.

Can you clarify what "select it on the active one and change it back on the bottom list to what the backup variant has" means? 

I have followed your steps and now I have a window open for the JTweaks file and a window for the file that was already in Near Infinity.  I changed the JTweaks battle music to whatever was reflected in the Near Infinity version and then saved.  Is that what you're referring to?  Basically updating the JTweaks music file using the drop-down list, and by using the other file as a reference?  Or is it the other way around?

Also, when I open the list of ARE files on Near Infinity, I only get a list of ToB locations.  How can I access the locations for the other games?  I can't seem to find anything on the left hand menu.

Thanks in advance, and I have no idea if you and Jarno are being serious with each other 😄

The file to edit is the one in your override folder - the one the game will actually use. The backup file is only there for reference.

So, assuming you have NI set up the normal way, you'll look at the main list of files in the sidebar. Depending on the options you have selected, the files you're looking for will either be under "Override" or "ARE".

Pick an area you're interested in changing. Go to that file. That's what you're looking to change. Then, use the "Open File" menu option, navigate to the backups, and find the file for the same area in that particular backup. Open it up in a new window. Now you have both versions open; you can compare them and edit the one to match the other.

"A list of ToB locations" ... that sounds like something completely different, probably in a lua file somewhere (the in-game list of areas for debug mode needs to be defined, after all). It doesn't sound like the big list of game resources at all. There are about a thousand AREs in baseline EET, plus whatever mods add; if you aren't seeing at least hundreds of areas, you're not looking at the right thing.

Oh, and a small fraction of areas won't be changed by this component at all. No rule against randomizing to what's already there, so it's basically certain to happen over enough trials. In that case, the area won't show up in the backups and there won't be any need to change.

6 hours ago, Graion Dilach said:

If someone asks about it, I tend to bring this up. I'm pretty sure I tend to mention this on Discord as well.

WOW, in 3 WHOLE places in since 2021... and not previously in This Very Topic. Am I just dumb, or could it be that you aren't as clever as you think you are ?
For example, you could build your own topic somewhere that you pour in all your "knowledge" of the days games, and questions one might have and answer them to the best of your abilities, so you could link to it via your signeture, or link to in all your replies, for convinience, so you will not be ever misunderstood.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola

So I tried out Near Infinity and am clearly out of my element.  It will take some time to get familiar with all the functionality, but I will keep tinkering with it.  

In the meantime, I actually tried using my backup EET install to attempt to uninstall my tweak mods up to JTweaks and then update the random music tweak.  After carefully reinstalling all the same options afterwards, it looks like it was a success and my save game is fully intact.  I just got lucky I guess.  Thanks for everyone's input!