ToF and Spell Revisions 4.19.rc4 Install

On 12/19/2023 at 2:31 PM, rpmaster said:

SRR: Yep, adding new ToF spells gives ERROR: [SPWI466.spl] -> [nowhere] Patching Failed (COPY) (Failure("shouldn't happen")) - seems to be a bug on their side, something for Bartimaeus to sort out later.

I'm having this same issue on Beta 10 version of ToF and the latest SRR version.
Were you able to sort it out just by installing a later version (beta 2 according to your last post) ?

If so, I don't think it should be happening with the versions I'm using right now, but it is. Any info is appreciated! 

Posted (edited)

The "Add 9 new arcane spells" component causes installation to error out on SPWI466.spl, but I'm not sure what the exact issue is: I've read the readme for ToF and that component adds some new arcane spells, but none to the 4th level, so I'm not sure why it could even conceivably be an issue for that particular component. Deleting SPWI466.spl allows installation to proceed...and restoring it after installation is complete prevents Polymorph Self from being broken, and it doesn't need to overwrite anything. I installed every other component of ToF and did not run into any installation issues (besides a few harmless-looking warnings anyways). Let's see if I can drill down the issue by deleting chunks from the relevant .tpa until it passes...

Okay, it's "create_boneguard" that is causing the installation failure. Preventing the "create_boneguard" LAF from running allows installation to pass. What's in create_boneguard?

DEFINE_ACTION_FUNCTION create_boneguard BEGIN

// sanity check

ACTION_IF VARIABLE_IS_SET "WIZARD_MONSTER_SUMMONING_7" BEGIN

LAF make_label STR_VAR label="dw#createboneguard" END // tell SCS it's installed

// clone the wrap spell (note we're assuming the spell has a subspell to handle Timestop issues)
	WIZARD_CREATE_BONEGUARD,WIZARD_CREATE_BONEGUARD_SCROLL=spl.copy["%WIZARD_MONSTER_SUMMONING_7%"=>WIZARD_CREATE_BONEGUARD|icon_base_name=boneguard_ icon_location=icon force_extended:i=0]
	[
		m_name:=@50
		m_description:=@51
		m.spl_enforce_school{necromancy}
	]

ACTION_IF FILE_EXISTS_IN_GAME "%WIZARD_MONSTER_SUMMONING_7%A.spl" BEGIN
		COPY_EXISTING "%WIZARD_CREATE_BONEGUARD%.spl" override
			LPF ALTER_EFFECT INT_VAR match_opcode=146 STR_VAR resource="%WIZARD_CREATE_BONEGUARD%A" END
		OUTER_SPRINT resref_payload "%WIZARD_MONSTER_SUMMONING_7%A"
		OUTER_SPRINT resref_payload_new "%WIZARD_CREATE_BONEGUARD%A"
		COPY_EXISTING "%resref_payload%.spl" "override/%resref_payload_new%.spl"
	END ELSE BEGIN
		OUTER_SPRINT resref_payload_new "%WIZARD_CREATE_BONEGUARD%"
	END

spl.edit[%resref_payload_new%]
	[
		m.ab_fx.alter{s_opcode=177 s_parameter2=2 s_probability1=50 s_dicenumber=0 s_dicesize=0 s_resource:=dw#spbgd|match="s_opcode=331"}
		m.ab_fx.clone{s_probability2=51 s_probability1=100|match="s_opcode=177" number:i=2}
	]

eff.make[dw#spbgd]
	[
		m_duration=2400
		m_timing=1
		m_resource:=ms7bgrd
		m_resource2:=spraised
		m_target=1
		m_opcode=67
	]
	log_this[%WIZARD_WAIL_OF_THE_BANSHEE_SCROLL% %WIZARD_CREATE_BONEGUARD_SCROLL%|file=arcane_spell_maps.2da]

// tweak monster file

cre.copy[ms7bgrd|source_locbase="iwdspells/copyover/wizard_monster_summoning_7"]
	[
		m_both_names:=@52
		IF {!is_iwd} 
			{{	
			m.cre_swap_scripts{gnsummm=>bdsum00}  
			}}
		m_xp_value=0
		m_allegiance:=controlled
		m_str=21
		m_dex=16
		m.fx.delete{s_opcode=233}
	]	

END

END

Letting it to run but taking out just this small chunk...

// clone the wrap spell (note we're assuming the spell has a subspell to handle Timestop issues)
	WIZARD_CREATE_BONEGUARD,WIZARD_CREATE_BONEGUARD_SCROLL=spl.copy["%WIZARD_MONSTER_SUMMONING_7%"=>WIZARD_CREATE_BONEGUARD|icon_base_name=boneguard_ icon_location=icon force_extended:i=0]
	[
		m_name:=@50
		m_description:=@51
		m.spl_enforce_school{necromancy}
	]

...allows installation to proceed. I'm really not seeing why this bit would be in any way problematic.

(e): WIZARD_MONSTER_SUMMONING_7 was disabled from being installed in base SR (for a few reasons - they summoned basilisks which were either too powerful or completely useless, and there was a need to appropriate its scroll for Gate IIRC), but it is installed for SRR (which creates and places scrolls for it while also changing it to Greater Wolfweres...which are still probably problematic but a lot better than basilisks). Similarly disabling Monster Summoning IX from being installed on SRR's side also 'fixes' the issue (because now this entire chunk doesn't run), but now how do I fix the issue between SRR and ToF without completely disabling MS9? And why the error about SPWI466.spl of all things? And disabling MS9 from being installed but then installing ToF's IWD arcane spells makes the same SPWI466.spl installation failure start appearing again, presumably because that component adds Monster Summoning IX (or VII - whatever, the 9th level version) which then allows this Create Boneguard LAF to run. I really don't get the SPWI466.spl connection and how/why ToF is trying to do anything with it from here (presumably there is some function buried deeper that I can't seem to find). If only weidu would tell you why a file is being loaded... Stumbling around in the dark sucks.

(e): I just thought of a much better idea: instead of using the "SPWI" namespace for any new polymorphs (which was a silly decision in the first place!), I'm just going to rename them to "DVWI" instead. Survey says...that it successfully fixes the issue. Righty-ho, that's a hell of a lot simpler than attempting the divination and ritual blood sacrifices necessary to figure out what the heck goes on in ToF/SCS, :p. The latest repository/master version of SRR should have the issue solved, @neuroghast.

Edited by Bartimaeus
Posted (edited)
On 5/5/2024 at 2:54 PM, Bartimaeus said:

(e): I just thought of a much better idea: instead of using the "SPWI" namespace for any new polymorphs (which was a silly decision in the first place!), I'm just going to rename them to "DVWI" instead. Survey says...that it successfully fixes the issue. Righty-ho, that's a hell of a lot simpler than attempting the divination and ritual blood sacrifices necessary to figure out what the heck goes on in ToF/SCS, :p. The latest repository/master version of SRR should have the issue solved, @neuroghast.

Thanks a lot for all the effort, @Bartimaeus🙂 Will install it!

Edited by neuroghast