v35.6 english fallback for spell.tra

Hi, I think something similar already happened for a previous 35.x and was fixed (maybe with some other tra).

When trying to install component 2050 "IWD-inspired changes to BG(2) spells" in french, the install fails because @48 from spell.tra is not (yet) translated.

We will come to it (this failure let us know about those untranslated strings) but I think you said the english fallback was supposed to take place so I report it here.

I single-out 2050 but I suspect many other components below 2000 will have the same issue.

Edited by mickabouille
10 hours ago, DavidW said:

I’ll chase it (I’m working with a French install myself anyway because I’m trying to troubleshoot the language-related UI issues that have turned up in ToF.

Maybe we could provide some insights, what's the problem with ToF exactly?

On 1/11/2024 at 5:33 PM, Jazira said:

Maybe we could provide some insights, what's the problem with ToF exactly?

I should have acknowledged this sooner - thanks for the offer. Basically, for its UI-based trickery to work ToF needs to know the active character's class and kit, but (as far as I could tell after a lot of exploration) that information is not directly exposed to the UI. The UI does know the name string of the character's kit, so I have code that recovers the kit ID (and thereafter the class ID) from that string. It worked fine in English in my testing environment, but it doesn't like accented characters, or non-alphanumeric symbols even in English-language kit descriptions (and it also fails if two kits have the same name, something I didn't anticipate being a problem but which actually came up quite quickly in the wild).

In the end, rather than fight complicated character-set-based battles with LUA regexps I went in a different direction. But I appreciate the offer.

Alright, I'm afraid I could not help much.

Just in case, to replace accented characters or non-breaking space, it seems the following should work with Weidu regexps: "créatures" -> "cr[^a]+atures"

OK, I can reproduce the original bug, and can fix it locally. Try this hotfix: open stratagems/sfo2e/lib_include.tph. Around line 112 there are two references to 'SFO_default_language'. Change them to 'sfo_default_language' (i.e., all lower case.)