[Solved][SCS 35.9][IWDEE] Verbeegs AI seems to be 'cowardly'

Pretty much as title. They usually were pretty straightforward at charging at you, seems like they're just avoiding engagement now, unless you come really close.

// Log of Currently Installed WeiDU Mods
// The top of the file is the 'oldest' mod
// ~TP2_File~ #language_number #component_number // [Subcomponent Name -> ] Component Name [ : Version]
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #1600 // Use Baldur's Gate-style Insect Plague and Creeping Doom instead of Icewind Dale versions: 35.9
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #1610 // Use Baldur's Gate-style Mordenkainen's Sword in addition to Icewind Dale version: 35.9
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #2000 // Install all spell tweaks (if you don't select this, you will be given a chance to choose by category): 35.9
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #2520 // Revised elementals and elemental summoning: 35.9
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #3510 // Wider availability of wizard spell scrolls in Icewind Dale: 35.9
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #4030 // Improved shapeshifting: 35.9
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #5000 // Ease-of-use party AI: 35.9
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #5900 // Initialise AI components (required for all tactical and AI components): 35.9
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6020 // Smarter general AI and better calls for help: 35.9
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6030 // Smarter Mages: 35.9
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6040 // Smarter Priests: 35.9
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6100 // Potions for NPCs: 35.9
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6510 // Improved fiends and celestials: 35.9
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6540 // Smarter dragons: 35.9
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6550 // Smarter beholders: 35.9
~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6700 // Revised Icewind Dale Undead: 35.9
~EEEX/EEEX.TP2~ #0 #0 // EEex: v0.9.22.1-alpha
~EEEX/EEEX.TP2~ #0 #1 // Enable effect menu module - LShift-on-hover to view spells affecting creature: v0.9.22.1-alpha
~EEEX/EEEX.TP2~ #0 #2 // Enable timer module - Visual indicators for modal actions, contingencies, and spell/item cooldowns: v0.9.22.1-alpha
~EEEX/EEEX.TP2~ #0 #3 // Timer module - Show modal actions (red bar): v0.9.22.1-alpha
~EEEX/EEEX.TP2~ #0 #4 // Timer module - Show contingencies (green bar): v0.9.22.1-alpha
~EEEX/EEEX.TP2~ #0 #5 // Timer module - Show spell/item cooldowns (cyan bar): v0.9.22.1-alpha
~EEEX/EEEX.TP2~ #0 #7 // Hotkey module - Edit override/B3Hotkey.lua to create advanced spell hotkeys: v0.9.22.1-alpha
~BUBB_SPELL_MENU_EXTENDED/BUBB_SPELL_MENU_EXTENDED.TP2~ #0 #0 // Bubb's Spell Menu Extended: v4.7.1

Edited by marco_costa
fixed

I'm doing an IWD:EE w/ SCS run too, and I also found the Verbeegs somewhat more reticent than I remember them, but it's a decade since I last played IWD so that might not mean much.

@marco_costa can you do weidu --log nul --change-log VERBEEG.cre and post the output here?

For the record, on my install it's:

[weidu] WeiDU version 24900

Mods affecting VERBEEG.CRE:
00000: /* created or unbiffed */ ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ 0 5900 // Initialise AI components (required for all tactical and AI components)35.9

Edited by Dakk

Indeed! But at least now we know for sure it's not Bubb, and that SCS does something to them :D As to whether we're imagining their lack of aggression or that it might even be intended, I couldn't tell you 😅

Have you guys tried the same fight without SCS ?
I am suspecting that this could be a pathfinding issue .. kinda. As they are larger than normal sized opponents, there could be issues in the new game that the old was able to hide/clip through.

Not the most informative changelog there; the initial component just fixes up creature THAC0 and saves to fit with their levels. No, the real change - if there is one - is somewhere else. Like the creatures' AI scripts. Which should have the same names as they do in the unmodded game, but may have different content.

My only real previous playthrough of IWD was non-EE and more than decade ago, so I'm equally surprised and happy to hear that I wasn't imaging things :D Appreciate the investigation and (upcoming) fix DW, you're a champ!