[v1.0.6] Viconia Romance Expanded for BG2EE + Phaere Expanded

Viconia Romance Expanded is the first in a series of planned mods that carefully expand the original BG2 romances. The mod enables the romance for all races and genders and has a unique romance path for female CHARNAMES.  Learn how drow society treats same-sex relationships, navigate new relationship obstacles, and fall in love all over again!

Version: 1.0.6

Download at Github

Viconia Romance Features

Spoiler
  • F/F Romance that does not require sexual acts, making it ace-friendly.
  • New romance conflicts and interjections for Anomen, Rasaad, and Hexxat.
  • Existing romance conflicts were written or modified to support same-sex romances with Anomen, Rasaad, Jaheira, and Aerie.
  • Improved and expanded dialogue for both genders.
    • LT7: Viconia’s compliment is reflective of CHARNAME’s stats.
    • LT13: The events of SOD are acknowledged. The player may also have a more personalized discussion of how Viconia views CHARNAME’s race. Relatedly, LT31 has Viconia say she "likely" worshipped Lolth longer than CHARNAME has been alive in order to account for longer-lived races.
    • LT35: The dialogue option stating that Viconia mentioned her brother will only appear if she actually mentioned her brother.
    • LT37: Dialogue referencing Viconia's story about the baby will change to reflect if she actually told the story.
    • LT55: CHARNAME can share more specific coming-of-age moments with Viconia. Imoen may interject if present.
    • LT57: Viconia’s dialogue will reflect the current state of the plot, including whether or not Imoen has been rescued and if Bodhi is still alive.
    • LT59: When discussing the future, the player can now bring up their stronghold (if any) and Viconia will react accordingly.
    • Romance support for all races.
  • A few minor grammar, spelling, and miscellaneous corrections.

Subcomponent: Alternate Audio (Viconia)
This option will replace audio that may refer to CHARNAME's gender incorrectly, either shortening the audio or removing it entirely. Please note that even without this component installed, some female-only dialogue already has altered audio.

The mod is has been completed for SOA and an update for TOB is in progress.

Phaere Expanded
This option allows female CHARNAMEs to flirt and sleep with Phaere. Includes new reactivity from Anomen, Rasaad, and Hexxat. Adds dialogue options to Aerie's reaction that can prevent the romance from breaking. Please be aware that this component does not remove the coercive elements original to Phaere's dialogue.

Unlock Other Romances
Provided for the sake of convenience, this component removes romance restrictions on characters who have not yet been expanded. This includes Jaheira, Aerie, Anomen, Rasaad, and Neera. Aside from a few instances here and there, their dialogue remains untouched and may refer to the player character incorrectly (e.g. pronouns).

Compatibility
This mod was designed to work specifically with BG2:EE and may not be compatible with the original release of BG2. The mod is compatible with EET.

Spoiler

The following mods have had patches built into Romance Expanded. To take advantage of these patches, install Romance Expanded after the mods listed below.

• Will of the Wisps: Shaman stronghold can be discussed in LT59.
  • Unfinished Business: If using the Pai'na component, Viconia may address Pai'na more politely.
  • Viconia Friendship: Viconia's friendship path will no longer start during an F/F romance. It will instead start after a breakup, as intended. This prevents duplicate dialogues from triggering.
  • IEP Extended Banters: The Korgan-Viconia banter now reflects whether Viconia is in a relationship with a female character. Two Jaheira-Viconia banters may change if Viconia has promised to be more respectful of half-elves.

This mod should be compatible with other WeiDU mods. However, some mods may contradict specific elements of this mod. For example, other mods may reference a female CHARNAME as male, due to Viconia's unmodded romance being locked to males. Viconia may also refer to half-elf NPCs with less-than-charitable terms even if she has promised a half-elf CHARNAME to no longer do so. Compatibility patches for such instances are planned for future versions of this mod. If you encounter any major mod conflicts, please leave a comment here.

Credits
Otherwisely — writing and coding
Kiiratam — beta reading, feedback/suggestions, support

Tools used in creation: Notepad++, WeiDu, IESDP, Larenil’s drow dictionary, Branwen for BG2

Thank you to the greater BG2 modding community and the wonderful guides and resources that have been developed in the 20+ years since this game was first released.

This mod is shared under a Creative Commons BY-NC-SA 4.0 license. Please feel free to make crossmod content in relation to this mod and reach out if you have any questions while doing so.

Edited by Otherwisely

Huh, colour me curious, if nothing else because I never thought nobody ever would try to expand the vanilla romances themselves, without getting into banters and PIDs. Ace galpals? I can already see a few getting interested.

Speaking of banters, when would you say we'd have to install this? Does it matter whether after or before things like banter packs (ie IEP) and other character expansions (ie Viconia Friendship)?

58 minutes ago, Connelly said:

Huh, colour me curious, if nothing else because I never thought nobody ever would try to expand the vanilla romances themselves, without getting into banters and PIDs. Ace galpals? I can already see a few getting interested.

Speaking of banters, when would you say we'd have to install this? Does it matter whether after or before things like banter packs (ie IEP) and other character expansions (ie Viconia Friendship)?

I haven’t looked extensively at the codes for IEP and Viccy friendship, so I’m going to tentatively recommend installing after them. Only two banters were changed with this mod: Viccy’s flirty banter with Anomen and her second banter with Jaheira, the latter of which only potentially changes if you’re playing as a half-elf.

I’m hoping to spend this weekend taking a closer look at compatibility with a few mods and possibly making patches if necessary.

I hope you enjoy the mod! Let me know your thoughts, as I’m open to feedback. 

Congrats! I've been toying with this idea for a long time, seeing as most of the in-game "romance" dialogue is actually not all that sexual in nature and could easily be rewritten for regular companionship. Albeit this goes for Viconia less so than the others, which leads me to ask: Are you planning something like this for Anomen and Jaheira as well? I had done the latter at some point, but this was before I knew anything of proper modding, so I realised too late that it wasn't going to be very compatible to use NearInfinity for it, basing the code on an existing megamod installation...

As for the compatibility question: From when I looked into this for these purposes back in the day, I can safely say that the Viconia Friendship mod (as opposed to other friendships which are usually compatible with their respective romances) is essentially a stripped-down version of the vanilla romance, with some expanded or new talks but mostly following a structure of similar events (handmaiden attack etc.), so I wager that it'd be conceptually incompatible with this romance mod.

Edited by Isewein
54 minutes ago, Isewein said:

Congrats! I've been toying with this idea for a long time, seeing as most of the in-game "romance" dialogue is actually not all that sexual in nature and could easily be rewritten for regular companionship. Albeit this goes for Viconia less so than the others, which leads me to ask: Are you planning something like this for Anomen and Jaheira as well? I had done the latter at some point, but this was before I knew anything of proper modding, so I realised too late that it wasn't going to be very compatible to use NearInfinity for it, basing the code on an existing megamod installation...

As for the compatibility question: From when I looked into this for these purposes back in the day, I can safely say that the Viconia Friendship mod (as opposed to other friendships which are usually compatible with their respective romances) is essentially a stripped-down version of the vanilla romance, with some expanded or new talks but mostly following a structure of similar events (handmaiden attack etc.), so I wager that it'd be conceptually incompatible with this romance mod.

Jaheira is next on the list once I finish Viconia's TOB romance (and Aerie is next after her). I'm not currently planning on doing Anomen's romance simply because I personally don't like him much and as a result I don't think I could do his romance proper justice. 

As for Viconia Friendship: I took a look at it over the weekend and it has some clever coding that allows you to pick up her friendship after a breakup without having repeat talks. The only problem is that her friendship automatically begins if you're playing as female or as an elf, so you'd end up with a lot of duplicate talks. I wrote a quick patch to solve this so it'll run as intended. There are a couple of other things I'm working on, but there should be an update in the next couple of days.

Version 1.0.1 is up! It provides compatibility patches for Will of the Wisps, Viconia Friendship, and Unfinished Business (specifically the Pai'na component). To take advantage of these patches be sure to install Romance Expanded after the aforementioned mods.

ETA: v1.0.2 is up now as well--I thought it would take much longer to complete. The mod is now EET-compatible and has a patch for IEP Extended Banters.

Edited by Otherwisely

Version 1.0.5 is out with a few content updates:

• Viconia's LT9: Viconia's dialogue will change to reflect if she actually told the story about the farmer.
  • Viconia's LT57: If present, Imoen may interject. If you have defeated Bodhi but Viconia was NOT turned into a vampire (due to her romance not having sufficiently progressed), Viconia's dialogue will now reflect this.
  • Hexxat and Viconia have a new romance conflict.
  • If playing as an elf, Viconia will have a new dialogue upon entering Suldanessellar.
  • New component: Alternate Audio. This will remove or abridge audio in Viconia's romance to prevent misgendering CHARNAME.
  • Various minor corrections.
10 hours ago, Otherwisely said:

New component: Alternate Audio. This will remove or abridge audio in Viconia's romance to prevent misgendering CHARNAME.

Heads up, in the installer this component goes by "Viconia Romance Expanded not installed", and gives this error:

[Romance_Expanded\crossmod\OWIEPJAH.baf] PARSE ERROR at line 13 column 1-13
Near Text: %BG2_VAR%
        syntax error
32 minutes ago, Connelly said:

Heads up, in the installer this component goes by "Viconia Romance Expanded not installed", and gives this error:

syntax error

Dang it, I thought I had tested everything. I'll give it a quick look. Thanks for letting me know!

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Connelly said:

syntax error

It looks like the IEP extended banters patch isn't functioning properly even though it used to work just fine. I'm going to keep working at it. Until then, you can only install one of the two mods.

ETA: I'm removing the IEP 'patch' temporarily since it's causing issues. You can now have both mods installed but there may be a couple of banters that don't quite make sense.

Edited by Otherwisely

Thanks, Otherwisely! This mod sounds amazing; always glad to see F/F representation and inclusion!

I'm currently working on a new install, and this mod's going in. I'll let you know if I run into any issues!

Guest Respite

Finally! As a female player and huge fan of Viconia, I was disappointed back in the day when the concept of a same-sex Viconia romance was first floated around and never got off the ground. I was shocked, but so SO happy someone actually did it! 

Quick question: Romance conflicts are such a guilty pleasure of mine. I know it says above that Vicci conflicts with Hexxat now, but what about the male romance options for those of us who would pursue both? Should I expect any juicy new lines between her and Anomen? Or even the EE guys?