BG1 NPCs Overcrowd Inn

All the NPC are parked on the same one side in Jovial Juggler in Beregost.  It is getting difficult to click on a specific NPC from the crowd and navigate a path to reach him/her.   The NPC really should be spread out a bit.  Some should be parked on the other side, (i.e., the left aisle,) instead of everyone overcrowding on the right side.   

HJDCxRd.jpeg

And I have not collected everyone yet.

Edited by ktchong
Posted (edited)

Some thoughts should be put into the placement of the NPC in inns.   Don't just like dump everyone together at one spot.

Maybe all the good NPC on one side, the evil NPC on another side, and the neutral NPC in the back.

Or maybe all the "shady" NPC (like thieves, the necromancer and the Red Wizard) are hiding in the back.

Or all the "honorable" NPC (like the Paladin and Priestess) stay close to Bjornin and Officer Vai while the shady ones stay away from them.

NPC that do not get along should not stay so close together in the inns, i.e., Khalid and Jaheira vs. Xan and Montaron should not be so close together.  Think about it: wouldn't they have gotten into a fight in the inn if they were so close to each others?  Neera is afraid of Red Wizards, so I imagine she would want to stay away from Edwin.

Edited by ktchong
Posted (edited)

I've just checked again.  This is the component I installed:

~CDTWEAKS/SETUP-CDTWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1075 // Send BioWare NPCs to an Inn [DavidW/Zed Nocear]: v16

I believe the other mod that includes a similar component is BG1 NPC Project, but I did not install the one from BG1 NPC Project.

WeiDU.log

Edited by ktchong
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Isewein said:

Maybe I'm misremembering, but the old component (BG1 NPC? BGT?) spread them out quite nicely across the Friendly Arm. Could that not be ported?

The NPC are spread out in the Friendly Arm and Nashkel Inn, but not in Jovial Juggler. 

Also, in the Friendly Arm: Khalid and Jaheira should return to their original spot in a corner where they were initially waiting for Gorion's Ward and first introduced.   I imagine that is their comfy favorite spot in the inn. Instead, the mod moves them to near the entrance.

Edited by ktchong

I think that old version you remember was in SCS (it isn't anymore). I don't think it gave you as many choices as the new version in cdtweaks, but that's arguably better design anyway. For example, in Nashkel, some NPCs would go to the inn and some to the Belching Dragon, and that choice was believably based on their personalities.

I think I have some old versions lying around that I can check... no, looks like I don't have anything older than v33 saved, at least on this machine.

Posted (edited)

Do you know what would be nice?

Let say if Khalid, Jaheira, Dynaheir and Minsc are all dismissed to the Friendly Arm Inn.  So they all gather in the far upper-left corner of the inn.  When you approach them, you can see little text crawling and popping up over their heads: they are chitchatting and having conversations among themselves.

Let's add that.

Edited by ktchong

No, I think SCS had its own version, but the personalised one used to be in BG1 NPC. And I agree that less customisability is more in this case. Shame the component was discontinued. It's a nice little personal touch that all of them had their favourite spots then:

EDIT: I see it has since been re-added to BG1 NPC, albeit with an ominous warning of not having been tested on EE yet. Otherwise that would be a solution to your problem, OP.

Edited by Isewein

Also, Viconia, being a dark elf, should NOT be waiting inside an inn, (like the Friendly Arm Inn,) where she would be unwelcome.  She should be waiting and hiding OUTSIDE Inn with Baeloth. 

Seriously, the "Send BG1 NPC to INN" component in the Tweak Anthology was just not well designed or thought out.

Assuming it does indeed still work, you have BG1 NPC's component covering exactly that - the smarter and less convenient option. I suppose the design philosophy differences between the two could be more clearly stated.

Posted (edited)

I am reinstalling and updating mods (as well as removing some components that have been problematic.)  I just read the details for the "NPCs Can Be Sent to Wait in an Inn" component in BG1 NPC Project:

NPC waiting locations:

• Ajantis - Friendly Arm Inn or Elfsong Tavern
  • Alora - Friendly Arm Inn or Elfsong Tavern
  • Branwen - Friendly Arm Inn or Elfsong Tavern
  • Coran - Belching Dragon in Nashkel or Elfsong Tavern
  • Dynaheir/Minsc - Friendly Arm Inn or Elfsong Tavern
  • Edwin - Belching Dragon in Nashkel or Low Lantern
  • Eldoth/Skie - Feldpost's Inn or Elfsong Tavern
  • Faldorn - Cloakwood (what, you think she'd wait in an inn?)
  • Garrick - Friendly Arm Inn or Elfsong Tavern
  • Imoen - Friendly Arm Inn or Elfsong Tavern
  • Jaheria/Khalid - Friendly Arm Inn or Elfsong Tavern
  • Kagain - His store or Blusing Mermaid
  • Kivan - Friendly Arm Inn or Elfsong Tavern
  • Montaron/Xzar - Belching Dragon in Nashkel or Low Lantern
  • Quayle - Friendly Arm Inn or Elfsong Tavern
  • Safana - Belching Dragon in Nashkel or Elfsong Tavern
  • Shar-Teel - Belching Dragon in Nashkel or Blushing Mermaid
  • Viconia - A cave on the South Beregost Road or Blushing Mermaid
  • Xan - Friendly Arm Inn or Elfsong Tavern
  • Yeslick - Friendly Arm Inn or Elfsong Tavern

I am wondering if it is gonna cause any problem if I swap out the "Send NPC to Inns" component from the Tweak Anthology for the one in  BG1 NPC Project.

Edited by ktchong