Mac trolling

Guest Aristothenes

A guest posting is a good idea for 4 reasons:

1) Guests can't edit their posts, therefore they must reach their point quickly.

2) Guests don't have any vested interests or anything to prove, so they don't have to be bound to an established heirarchy.

3) Because they aren't in an established heirarchy, their e-mail accounts can't be suspended through the actions of moderators.

4) Guests can be unbiased because their comments aren't in the self-interest of promotion since they aren't in the members heirarchy.

By the way, Drew, who are you to tell the moderators how to do their job?

While I am a great supporter of guests system, I don't agree with the reasons you gave. Giving unregistered guests ability to post allows them for a sorta "trial period", they may quickly aks a question, get help and only then if they wish register if they want to take more active part in the community. BTW of which Drew is a member and I believe he can pronounce his opinions on what he thinks would improve the site, though I disagree with him, I don't think that deleting guests would prevent "trolling" and other undesirable actions, for some reason there are plenty of people who seem to think registering on a forum is a small sacrifice for being able to get on other people's nerves. And often contributions of occasional guest posters are beneficial.

Borsook

Posted Today, 01:47 AM

-

I don't think that deleting guests would prevent "trolling" and other undesirable actions

And often contributions of occasional guest posters are beneficial

-

Don't contradict yourself: State YOUR stand. Do you want, or do you NOT want the guest system to stay?

And if your members can't be trusted to stay civil, WHY do you want your guests to be?

Don't have double standards.

Wishy-washy is for politicians.

Borsook

Posted Today, 01:47 AM

-

I don't think that deleting guests would prevent "trolling" and other undesirable actions

And often contributions of occasional guest posters are beneficial

-

Don't contradict yourself: State YOUR stand. Do you want, or do you NOT want the guest system to stay?

And if your members can't be trusted to stay civil, WHY do you want your guests to be?

Don't have double standards.

Wishy-washy is for politicians.

I've stated "my stand" at least two times in last 2 posts. I want the guests to stay. Everyone should behave in a civil manner, be he a guest or a member, but nobody can be "trusted" to do so. If being uncivil is in somebody's nature, having to register an account won't stop him/her from doing so, thus I believe the question of posters' behaviour is quite irrelevant to the discussion of the merits of guests system.

3) Because they aren't in an established heirarchy, their e-mail accounts can't be suspended through the actions of moderators.

This is the reason why the onus is on members to behave civilly. Most free e-mail accounts have a caveat: The administrator/abuse account. It would be an easy matter to say the member has been posting "sexually-depraved-depending-on-your-country-of-origin" material to the e-mail site administrator.

So you argument:

If being uncivil is in somebody's nature, having to register an account won't stop him/her from doing so

Maybe, but knowing he(member) can be inconvenienced in some way would keep guests returning and members behaving.

Not to mention - guest posts can be deleted and moved around by moderators, right? So there is no problem there.

I do not quite follow your line of argument. Surely, if registered user behaves badly he can be banned, but then again he can make another free email account and register again... As for moderators being able to edit/delete guests' post I think (and hope) they can also edit/delete posts done by members.

Ironically enough I like guest posting, too. Without guest posting there would be no SlidMang0, for example. I didn't feel I was telling the moderators how to do their jobs, just being a smart ass. Guest posting gives a lot more to the community than it takes, but sometimes you see an exchange that makes you realise why other sites require all posters to register. I was simply expressing that this was one of those times.

EDIT: spelling and grammar.

Archived