Earthwalker kit

SixOfSpades

I was just looking at some pnp spells for ideas, and the following spell reminded me of the Earthwalker kit:

Antimineral Shell (Abjuration)

Level: 7

Sphere: Protection, Elemental (Earth)

Range: 0

Duration: 1 turn/level

Casting Time: 1 round

Area of Effect: 10-ft. radius

Saving Throw: None

When a priest casts this spell, he creates an invisible force field or barrier that blocks the entrance of animated or living mineral creatures. It is effective against elementals and creatures of elemental origin such as aerial servants, djinns, and mephits; golems and other constructs; creatures of living stone, such as galeb duhr or xorn; and objects, weapons, or armor animated by some outside force. It does not bar the passage of undead monsters, living creatures carrying inanimate material, or nonanimated minerals such as a giant-thrown boulder or a common rockslide. The antimineral shell moves with the caster, but if the caster tries to force it against a creature affected by this spell, the antimineral shell fails.

I was just looking at some pnp spells for ideas, and the following spell reminded me of the Earthwalker kit:

Interesting, but it protects primarily against the wrong sort of element, which essentially makes it a great spell to use against Ogremoch....and that's about it. It could be adapted, though, to a FireShield-type spell, where every Earth Elemental or valid Golem that makes a melee attack on the Earthwalker has a chance of being Held or Charmed with every hit they make (which is the best way I've found to resolve the Grasp-of-Grumbar difficulty so far).

Point 1: I think Geomancer would be a better name than Earthwalker. Opinions?

Point 2: New spell, not canon as far as I know, but it makes sense to me. I am undecided on whether or not to make it unique to Geomancers.

Sandstorm

Level: 6

Sphere: Elemental Earth, Weather

A flurry of sand explodes from the caster's hands in a roughly 60-degree arc, toward a point chosen by the caster. All creatures in its path take 2D4 Slashing damage and are Blinded and choked (+2 penalties to THAC0 and AC, plus 50% chance of spell failure) for three rounds, with a Save vs. Death for half damage and to avoid the other penalties. Then, for 6 rounds, all the air within 30 feet of the target point is filled with swirling sand and dust, forcing all creatures in the area of effect to Save vs. Death each round or be Blinded for 2 rounds, and Save vs. Breath Weapon each round or choke for 2 rounds. The first part of this spell can be blocked by Magic Resistance, and a Zone of Sweet Air will negate the second part.

Use a Cone of Cold animation for the 1st part of the spell and Teleport Field for the 2nd, and I think that works. I think the power of the spell is about right for Level 6, but I'm just one opinion. It should go in a spell level that doesn't have any other good Elemental Earth spells available; Level 5 has Ironskins, and I'd like to say that Level 6 has Conjure Earth Elemental, but in my game, neither Anomen nor Jaheira has C.E.E., so I can't confirm what DR does with that spell.

Archived