Wounded_Lion

The Hellion Fighter-kit mod is available now at:

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/aWL_BG2_forum/files/

and at IEGMC:

http://iegmc.mirror.intermedia.com.sg/awoundedlion

ftp://mirror.intermedia.com.sg/pub/iegmc/awoundedlion

http://iegmc.tiefighter.org/awoundedlion

http://america.iegmc.net/awoundedlion

As always, feedback is welcome. Bear in mind that the kit is essentially a Paladin of Hell, so direct your comparisons to the Paladin class (*not* the Fighter class).

------ HELLION ------

This mod is designed for BGII-SOA with TOB and should be compatible with most other WeiDU mods.

Please direct any questions or comments to: aWoundedLion@yahoo.com

I am particularly pleased with the 'anti-ethos' (mastery of any bladed weapon, proficiency of any non-bladed weapon). Tis Evil. :)

a Wounded Lion

--- HELLION ---

The Hellion is a fierce warrior who honors the Dark Prince of the Hells. He or she respects strength, power, and cunning above all else. The Hellion is a student of the Black Arts and may summon Demonic allies to his side in battle (though these are apt to turn on the Hellion if he or she has not cast protective magics).

ADVANTAGES

Immune to Death Magic

May cast Protection From Evil once per day per level

May cast Banish once per day per level

Lv12 May cast Death Spell once per day

Lv14 May cast Cacofiend once per day

Lv16 May cast Summon Fiend once per day

Lv18 May cast Gate once per day

Lv20 May cast Summon Dark Planetar once per day

DISADVANTAGES

Must be Lawful Evil

Must be Human, Half-Elf, or Half-Orc

May not Dual-Class except to Mage

May not place more than three proficiency points into any bladed weapon

May not place more than one proficiency point into any non-bladed weapon

NOTES

Banish

Level: 1

Range: 50

Duration: Instant

Casting Time: 1

Area of Effect: 1 Summoned Demon

Saving Throw: None

This spell banishes a summoned Demon back to the Hells.

Interesting idea. :) A few comments:

1. Banish - Demons are from the Abyss, Devils from the Hells. So if it works as you posted, it'd be an interesting holiday for the fiend... :O Does it work on Demons, Devils or both?

2. Any reason for the racial limitations?

3. Why can the kit only dualclass to Mage? I think the stealthy nature of a Hellion-Thief could work well.

4. Cacofiend summons a Nabassu, which is a Demon. It'd probably be more appropriate to summon a Devil, for a Lawful kit.

1. Banish - Demons are from the Abyss, Devils from the Hells. So if it works as you posted, it'd be an interesting holiday for the fiend... :O Does it work on Demons, Devils or both?

lol I didn't know that. The spell only works on Demons at the moment (it identifies them via their gender - SUMMONED_DEMON). Are there summonable Devils in BGII? If so, then I could add another Use EFF File effect.

Because I hate Elves (except Drow). hehe. Seriously, it is simply a slightly expanded version of the Paladin racial limitations. Do you think all races should be able to become Hellions?

3. Why can the kit only dualclass to Mage? I think the stealthy nature of a Hellion-Thief could work well.

Paladins cannot Dual-Class at all. So I thought to allow only a possibility of Dualing to a class that uses the Arts that the Hellion already trains. Now that you mention it, a Hellion/Thief does sound enticing... and appropriate. I'll consider revising this aspect for Version 2.

4. Cacofiend summons a Nabassu, which is a Demon. It'd probably be more appropriate to summon a Devil, for a Lawful kit.

The Hellion is Lawful for conceptual reasons. I have always loved the idea that Demons and associated Mages are bound to their word once given. That is where the Lawful aspect comes from. Hellions have no respect for society's laws.

As always, your feedback is useful and interesting. Thank you.

a W.L.

Because I hate Elves (except Drow). hehe. Seriously, it is simply a slightly expanded version of the Paladin racial limitations. Do you think all races should be able to become Hellions?

Yes. I like evil Elves, they are really cool :) .

And evil, devil worhipping elves are doubly cool :O .

lol I didn't know that. The spell only works on Demons at the moment (it identifies them via their gender - SUMMONED_DEMON). Are there summonable Devils in BGII? If so, then I could add another Use EFF File effect.

I think the game flags them as all Demons (and IIRC some are of the wrong alignment) regardless of which Lower Plane they are from. The Pit Fiend is a Devil, for example. So are Imps. I don't recall if any other Devils are present ingame (Lemures and Abishai are in Ps:T and IWD2, but not BG2).

I'm against most racial restrictions, so yes.

Paladins cannot Dual-Class at all. So I thought to allow only a possibility of Dualing to a class that uses the Arts that the Hellion already trains. Now that you mention it, a Hellion/Thief does sound enticing... and appropriate. I'll consider revising this aspect for Version 2.

Interesting point.

The Hellion is Lawful for conceptual reasons. I have always loved the idea that Demons and associated Mages are bound to their word once given. That is where the Lawful aspect comes from. Hellions have no respect for society's laws.

In 3rd Edition there are Diabolist (LE and deals with Devils) and Demonologist (CE and deals with Demons) prestige classes, though they're very caster-oriented as opposed to melee (which has the Blackguard, I guess). Essentially, the Diabolist seems designed for Wizards/Sorcerors and their caster level progresses while they get a few Vile benefits and an Imp familiar. The Demonologist requires some casting ability but gets its own separate spell progression, and is very highly geared towards summoning and controlling demons. Perhaps you could expand the kit to any Evil alignment, and then change the types of Fiends summoned depending on alignment? Or make Neutral and Chaotic Evil counterpart kits?

As always, your feedback is useful and interesting.  Thank you.

It's a pleasure to have new kit mods. :)

It's a nice looking kit, It will be interesting to have a fiend-centric summoner in the game... :)

Just one thing though, I think that the number of times one can cast Banish per day might be slightly overpowering. At 12 level you could pretty much slap down any encounter that relies on demons. Maybe fewer times (once per day per 5 levels?) would let you get rid of some demon induced woes, but not steamroll all over that level of Watcher's keep. :O

It's a nice looking kit, It will be interesting to have a fiend-centric summoner in the game...  :)

Just one thing though, I think that the number of times one can cast Banish per day might be slightly overpowering. At 12 level you could pretty much slap down any encounter that relies on demons. Maybe fewer times (once per day per 5 levels?) would let you get rid of some demon induced woes, but not steamroll all over that level of Watcher's keep. :O

The Hellion also has a feedback thread at PPG (maximum exposure :) ), and this issue was discussed there as well. I will likely reduce Banish to once per day every 4 levels starting at Lv4 in Version 2. Also, I don't think that the Demons in Watcher's Keep will be affected by Banish... haven't playtested that level with the Hellion yet though.

a W.L.

Version 2 of the Hellion kit mod is available now at my Yahoo! forum and will be available soon at IEGMC. The filename is HellionV2.rar.

:)

a W.L.

------ HELLION ------

This mod is designed for BGII-SOA with TOB and should be compatible with most other WeiDU mods.

Please direct any questions or comments to: aWoundedLion@yahoo.com

--- HELLION ---

The Hellion is a fierce warrior who honors the Dark Prince of the Hells. He or she respects strength, power, and cunning above all else. The Hellion is a student of the Black Arts and may summon Demonic allies to his side in battle (though these are apt to turn on the Hellion if he or she has not cast protective magics).

ADVANTAGES

Immune to Death Magic

May cast Protection From Evil once per day per level

May cast Banish once per day every four levels starting at Lv4

Lv12 May cast Death Spell once per day

Lv14 May cast Cacofiend once per day

Lv16 May cast Summon Fiend once per day

Lv18 May cast Gate once per day

Lv20 May cast Summon Dark Planetar once per day

DISADVANTAGES

Must be Lawful Evil

May not Dual-Class except to Mage or Thief

May not place more than three proficiency points into any bladed weapon

May not place more than one proficiency point into any non-bladed weapon

NOTES

Banish

Level: Special

Range: 50

Duration: Instant

Casting Time: 1

Area of Effect: 1 Summoned Demon

Saving Throw: None

This spell banishes a summoned Demon back to the Abyss.

Does the spell banish both demons and devils? If so, I'd change the wording to say 'fiends' rather than just 'demons'. Although most of the time little explanation is given to the various names of evil outsiders, players of pnp D&D or Ps:T will know there's a difference. Plus there's a Blood War floor in Watcher's Keep...

Archived