Hellion kit now available

Wounded_Lion

Does the spell banish both demons and devils? If so, I'd change the wording to say 'fiends' rather than just 'demons'. Although most of the time little explanation is given to the various names of evil outsiders, players of pnp D&D or Ps:T will know there's a difference. Plus there's a Blood War floor in Watcher's Keep...

Yes, I agree with Andy. Any game which references the Blood War makes a meaningful distinction between demons and devils, so "fiends" is better terminology for both.

Does the spell banish both demons and devils? If so, I'd change the wording to say 'fiends' rather than just 'demons'. Although most of the time little explanation is given to the various names of evil outsiders, players of pnp D&D or Ps:T will know there's a difference. Plus there's a Blood War floor in Watcher's Keep...

The spell banishes anything with a gender of 'SUMMONED_DEMON'. That includes every fiend that can be summoned with Mage and Priest spells except the Fallen Planetar/Deva... which just gets pissed off and attacks you. :)

Tis embarassing... but I have to admit that I've never taken the time to clear Watcher's Keep... :) I'll have to do it next time around when I create a party with an Arcane Archer and a Hellion. :O

a W.L.

Ok, so I've investigated the matter:

All 'Fiends' (Demons and Devils alike) in BGII are classed as 'DEMONIC' in terms of race. All summonable 'Fiends' are classed as 'SUMMONED_DEMON' in terms of gender (non-summoned 'Fiend' enemies are classed as 'NEITHER' in terms of gender).

So... gameplay-wise, BGII makes no meaningful distinction between Demons and Devils (as I said before).

Right now, I see no reason to alter the kit description. For all intents and purposes, 'Demons' seems as good a catch-all term as any for Demons, Devils, and Fallen Solar-type beings. The Hellion interacts with any 'Fiend' that may serve his/her purpose.

Would anyone care to educate me about the 'Blood War'? Might change my mind... :)

a Wounded Lion

*edited for grammar*

The game itself doesn't make much distinction (I think Cavaliers get attack bonuses to any fiend in the game and their kit decription says "demons").

The Blood War is an endless conflict between the Baatezu and the Ta'nari (Devils and Demons) waged all across the lower planes and anywhere else that they can for supremacy. That's it in a nutshell. The LE and CE fiends hate one another more than they hate the inhabitants of the upper planes and wish to subjugate the other lot before moving on. So calling a devil a demon is likely to earn you some additional millenia on the torture rack. :)

The game engine may not make a distinction but the game story itself (as well as anyone who is familiar with the setting) does--a large part of the reasons the Baatezu bargain for mortal souls, and the Tanar'ri steal them, is to provide more troops for their side of the Blood War.

So just changing the word in your spell description would make a lot of difference from an rp sense. :)

And we'll probably change the Cavalier description for DR too, now Rob's pointed that one out.

The game engine may not make a distinction but the game story itself...

Debatable, given that Watcher's Keep is rather irrelevant (to my knowledge, you are never even given a reason to go there... )

But...

So just changing the word in your spell description would make a lot of difference from an rp sense. :)

And we'll probably change the Cavalier description for DR too, now Rob's pointed that one out.

All right... but only because the Tanar'ri at my shoulder threatened to kill me. hehe. Seriously, I suppose that if a minor cosmetic change will result in more PnP-style players being happy, then why not? Look for V3 soon (when I get home I'll make the changes and send an update to the Wizard).

@Big Rob

Thanks for the info!

a W.L.

Available now at my Yahoo! forum and soon at IEGMC:

The Special Andyr/Kish/Big-Rob Edition of the Hellion kit! :) The changes implemented in Version 3 are mostly cosmetic and render the kit description more accurate in terms of PnP D&D.

a Wounded Lion

------ HELLION ------

This mod is designed for BGII-SOA with TOB and should be compatible with most other WeiDU mods.

Please direct any questions or comments to: aWoundedLion@yahoo.com

--- HELLION ---

The Hellion is a fierce warrior who honors the Dark Prince of the Hells. He or she respects strength, power, and cunning above all else. The Hellion is a student of the Black Arts and may summon Fiends to his side in battle (though these are apt to turn on the Hellion if he or she has not cast protective magics).

ADVANTAGES

Immune to Death Magic

May cast Protection From Evil once per day per level

May cast Banish once per day every four levels starting at Lv4

Lv12 May cast Death Spell once per day

Lv14 May cast Cacofiend once per day

Lv16 May cast Summon Fiend once per day

Lv18 May cast Gate once per day

Lv20 May cast Summon Dark Planetar once per day

DISADVANTAGES

Must be of an Evil alignment

May not Dual-Class except to Mage or Thief

May not place more than three proficiency points into any bladed weapon

May not place more than one proficiency point into any non-bladed weapon

NOTES

Banish

Level: Special

Range: 50

Duration: Instant

Casting Time: 1

Area of Effect: 1 Summoned Fiend

Saving Throw: None

This spell banishes a summoned Fiend back to the Lower Planes.

How's this guys? Good? hehe.

a W.L.

Archived