Jaheira and Terminsel

If you do not have romance with Jaheira you never meet Terminsel because of this part of code:

(...)
   OR(2)
       Global("JaheiraRomanceActive","GLOBAL",0)
       Global("JaheiraRomanceActive","GLOBAL",3)
(...)
       SetGlobalTimer("TerminselAppear","GLOBAL",FIVE_DAYS)
END
(...)
       RealGlobalTimerExpired("TerminselAppear","GLOBAL")

Because game time timer is far much bigger than real + 5 days it is nearly impossible to meet Terminsel when you do not romancing with Jaheira. It is definitely bug.

In bjaheir.dlg there is both "good" and bad timer ("good" one overwrites the "bad" one so it works). Relevant dialogs are LoveTalk 66 and 70,71.

My patch:

COPY_EXISTING ~jaheira.bcs~ ~override~
DECOMPILE_BCS_TO_BAF
REPLACE_TEXTUALLY ~SetGlobalTimer("TerminselAppear","GLOBAL",FIVE_DAYS)~
                  ~RealSetGlobalTimer("TerminselAppear","GLOBAL",3600)~ // originally 36000 seems to be more than random.
COMPILE_BAF_TO_BCS

REPLACE_ACTION_TEXT ~bjaheir~ ~SetGlobalTimer("TerminselAppear","GLOBAL",ONE_DAY)~ ~~ // as it is useless and potentially buggy.

I wanted to retain romancing status (3600 real sec.) and not to create more problems with creating extra block which would care about no-romance game timer. But if you really think that game timer would be better I have no problem.

We cannot have same name of timer and we have to create one more block to handle it (as we should maintain real 3600 if romancing).

COPY_EXISTING ~jaheira.bcs~ ~override~
DECOMPILE_BCS_TO_BAF
REPLACE_TEXTUALLY ~SetGlobalTimer("TerminselAppear","GLOBAL",FIVE_DAYS)~
                  ~SetGlobalTimer("d_TerminselAppearEx","GLOBAL",FIVE_DAYS)~
COMPILE_BAF_TO_BCS

EXTEND_BOTTOM ~jaheira.bcs~ ~file with:
IF
   GlobalTimerExpired("d_TerminselAppearEx","GLOBAL")
   Global("TerminselSpawn","GLOBAL",4)
   !Global("Chapter","GLOBAL",4)
   !Global("Chapter","GLOBAL",5)
   !Global("Chapter","GLOBAL",7)
   AreaType(OUTDOOR)
   !AreaCheck("AR2500")
   !AreaCheck("AR2000")
   !AreaCheck("AR0400")
   !AreaCheck("AR0020")
   InParty(Myself)
   !See([ENEMY])
   !Range([NEUTRAL],10)
THEN
   RESPONSE #100
       SetGlobal("TerminselSpawn","GLOBAL",5)
       CreateCreatureObjectOffScreen("JATERMIN",Myself,0,0,0) // Terminsel
END
~

REPLACE_ACTION_TEXT ~bjaheir~ ~SetGlobalTimer("TerminselAppear","GLOBAL",ONE_DAY)~ ~~ // as it is useless and potentially buggy.

Love talks are always acting on real time, but all the other Harper quest rot (Meronia, Reviane, Dermin1, Dermin2, Dermin3, Terminsel, bunnies) all run on game time. Pausing the game to eat some lunch and having Elminster pop up when you get back isn't fun.

I thought we already incorporated the Jaheira romance fix. If not, we should (although, the love talk timers should be kept to their default value).

And clicking infinitely to sleep button is not fun as well :-) but I studied Jaheira script a bit more carefully and I think the original intention was to use 5 days of game time (but not if you have romance with J.)

I can recall work of guy called Manveru who fixed almost all Jaheira bugs but his pages are no longer available (neither in google cache) :-(

icelus: thx, there is a list of known bugs with Jaheira. Some of them was implemented to baldurdash but those were implemented in ToB patches later.

So you probably fixed SoA-only bugs as they were present in BD (I think).

The majority of the bugs persisted even after the ToB patch (they extended the life of the romance out to Dermin's second appearance, but it's still horribly broken). Manveru's romance patch (hosted by Baldurdash now) resolves all significant issues.

To finish this concrete bug, I think devSin's idea with five game days is the best and second piece of code I posted is the right one, ok?

I am interested in Jaheira so I will look at Manveru fixes but I won't recognize SoA-only bugs.

I checked fixes made by Manrevu (jaheira.bcs) and compared with original ToB. They were almost same (no significant changes). So I can assume all Manveru's fixes were implemented to ToB (patch).

Who knows?

If you're talking about the Jaheira romance as a whole, then who knows x2? If just this particular issue, then no, it's not resolved, unless you've already resolved it, and who knows?

That's the best to be hoped for when dealing with Jaheira's romance stuff, I guess.

Archived