Problems with kit creation

Daeva

Right, I am currently creating a warlock kit for BG but have hit upon a few snags due to my near complete lack of knowledge of editing BGII:

1) How do I change the spell progression for a mage kit? There *must* be a way to alter it without having to repeatedly applying spells to increase/decrease wizard spell slots modifiers (I was thinking along the lines of the CLAB****.2da files but lack understanding as to how they are implemented).

2) My persisting problem with trying to get the kit to have thief-class usability yet still that mage class interface. (I was thinking of changing it so that the kit was a thief-mage kit with that usability but levels up as a single kit though, again, have no idea of how to implement such) I don't actually mind (in fact it would be a boon) if this means that the kit can no longer use mage weapons and items).

3) How to change the number of profficiency points a class gains at level up.

4) How to remove one of the existing mage kits from the selectable list in character creation and replace it with this one (this is not so important since I can always work around it using scripting as I am currently).

If anyone can explain to me how to do any of these things I will be extremely grateful. I have already looked into any number of tutorials but none of them really cover this, so, as it is, I seem to be rather lost.

Tah

You seem to have picked a lot of things which cannot be done cleanly, if at all. :)

1. You need to use the CLABs, as all mage spell progression is controlled by some .2DA file.

2. You can either have a mage kit with the Mage quickslots, skill slots and stats, or a Thief kit with the Thief quickslots, skill slots and stats. You can't mix and match, unfortunately.

3. You can't change this, but you could add proficiencies via CLAB (but then the player would get no choice, and you can only set--not add--the number of stars).

4. You might be able to to this by making K_M_X.2DA files and not listing the kits that you want to replace. This may not work, as the engine copes without K_M_X.2DA files existing at all normally. So the proecess might be hardcoded.

Right, thanks for replying - I've actually discovered what may be a work around for the thief-usability, but it depends on whether the DLTCEP effect "Item: Can't Use Itemtype [181]" works (it's marked "untested" but I'm not sure what that means). If not I can always go through the really fun aspect of making each individual item unusable (*woo-hoo*).

I'll try creating the K_M_x.2da files but, looking at the character creation screen, I'm beginning to doubt it will be possible since the mage kits appear for *all* races even if they cannot use them.

Finally, I've never actually used the CLAB for such a thing before (only ever giving abilities, etc) how would I go about creating a spell-progression CLAB file?

Thanks again for answering - it's really appreciated.

EDIT - one other question, actually: I know that you can patch itemtypes to allow them to be usable by a class that can't normally use them (such as in Ashes and Embers) but remain unsure of how to go about doing this. Could someone please let me know how to? Also, is it possible to create a CLAB file for an existing *class* (not kit) that applies certain special abilities?

For spell progression, just use the effects to grant or remove spell slots. IIRC you need to apply them with a delay (just put 1) otherwise it can get reset by the game applying other abilities.

To patch items you just need to flag or de-flag the appropriate bits. I'd suggest the AoE code to be the simplest example of this. Unkitted classes already have CLAB files too-they're the ones suffixed 00.2DA.

mage kits (schools) are sadly hardcoded in the original engine

Yeah, I'd guessed as much.

Okay, one final set of questions for now (sorry to be a pain but I'm new to this . . .).

1) Is there any way to temporarily disable a characters main weapon but still let them use their off-hand attack (so the number of attacks for their main hand is reduced to zero but their off-hand attacks stay the same).

2) Is there a "fall prone" state in bgii? The only one I've seen is the unconscious one and, while it's close, it's not quite what I'm looking for . . .

3) Is it possible to have the "Guard" (function, ability - not sure what to class it as) set as a spell effect?

4) Finally, this is more of a check that I've understood something correctly - in terms of spell duration, a round in BGII last duration 60 and the number of attacks is the number of attacks you get in that time, right?

As always, thanks very much for any and all help. Tah

At first you can simulate any kit by scripts, and give it into other class.

For example:

You want to create mage kit, which is in fighter slot. You're creating a fighter kit, on his CLAB**... you're creating summon a invisible creature which give you script. go check Art of Weaving and Spellsword.

1. You can manipulate with +/- spells per level, but you can't edit, on which level mage gain new spell level.

And what's about Warlock... In my opinion he should be warrior with unlimited simple abilities once per round. Check abilities in PnP Celestials.

Hence what was stated above ^ ^ take necromancer for instance couldnt be an elf .........but couldnt you make the gui and paperdoll change to make it seem as though said char is an elf but but all character file read as though said charactor is a human???..........was just a thought :hm::blush:

Edit the only problem I see with this method is that said char would be known in the BG world as a human.

Hence what was stated above ^ ^ take necromancer for instance couldnt be an elf .........but couldnt you make the gui and paperdoll change to make it seem as though said char is an elf but but all character file read as though said charactor is a human???..........was just a thought :blush::hm:

Edit the only problem I see with this method is that said char would be known in the BG world as a human.

Well, you could do it that way, but it would be far easier just to use the "AddKit" command, which would override the limitation of the character not being an elf. The reason it's a problem is that you cannot select the kit in the kit creation screen.

4. A round is 6 seconds (or 7 in some infinity engine variants), a turn is 10 rounds (or 1 minute).

A round is 90 animation frames - default install is 30 frames/sec, but the engine will slow down if the AI is overloaded. Also, the speed can be increased, but will bog down sooner. Likewise, the maximum frame rate can be slowed, somewhat. Real-time would be a frame rate of 1.5, since a round is 1 minute.

Also, in spells, 9 10-frame movement cycles

This is also 6 15-frame animation/AI cycles

Confused yet?

In a script command, (6) is the figure for one round.

In a spell, (9) is the figure for one round.

In an Animation, 90 frames are one round (at animation speed 15)

Archived