Jaheira Quest bug

WizWom

Seniyad's Dialog, _SENIYA.DLG, has a number of added things to handle Jaheira's quest. Unfortunately, if you take thepeaceful path, Aldeth is suppose to "EscapeArea". He actually does not, since the dialog refers to "aldeth", not "_aldeth". This is the bug.

Frankly, this sucks - Aldeth then doesn't thank you or anything. It's anticlimactic. Parhaps he could say something like "I never knew there was so much disagreement in positions among the Druids. very enlightening. Anyway, you have saved my life by risking your own. I wish you good luck and hope to see you again. If you ever travel to Baldur's Gate, look me up in thye Merchants' League. I'll show you the hospitality of a great city!"

And then Aldeth can give you the potion he had anyway, rather than Seniyad coming up with a potion of heroism from nowhere. And the player will know that he can go to the merchant league and get that quest, which isn't clear if he says nothing.

Hmmm.... in my copy of X#JAQU.D, all references to Altheth's dialogue are marked ~_ALDETH~. The death variable is "aldeth", which is what allows the EscapeArea to function. I will confirm that DV with NI, but that matches all Tutu instances (Jaheira's dv is "jaheira", not "_jaheira".

I am marking this and will post it in the workroom Monday, as Tuesday's project is to completely deconstruct the Jaheira Quest and find out why some paths don't spawn Maretha and Beador correctly. Thank you for reporting... if you have other observations on the quest, PLEASE post them this weekend! Healthy criticism makes for better bugfixing!

I am marking this and will post it in the workroom Monday, as Tuesday's project is to completely deconstruct the Jaheira Quest and find out why some paths don't spawn Maretha and Beador correctly. Thank you for reporting... if you have other observations on the quest, PLEASE post them this weekend! Healthy criticism makes for better bugfixing!

Well, I'm certainly not seing Maretha and Beador. it's kinda annoying. Let me check my questy variables...

OK, X#Jaheira needs to be 20 or 22; the path I took set it to 2.

Dialog choices, Starting with Aldeth: 1 (help) HELPALDETH=1

Sniyad: ->Aldeth: 2 (peace?) -> Jaheira: 1 (shadowclave?) 1 (Beador?) 1 (help!)

Now, this was the spot where Aldeth did not escape the area, and I also did not get the potion, although I see both are clearly in the Action section of _SENIYA.DLG. I saved the state, and X#JaheiraSen is 2.

Which, I guess explains why the script failed, for if it did not set X#JaheiraSen to 4 earlier, then it can't do any action at this point. I recall seeing a "no valid actions" thing. And since that variable never got set to 5, then we see there is not possible way to

HM, let's see, if I set X#JaheiraSen to 0, that shoould let me try to recreate this. It seems the Action on _JaheirJ,226 did not get executed. The trigger for _Seniya,12 is ignored, since it's been directly linked to.

Now, oddly, Jaheira offeded a comment when I got to FW1600, but I can't see how that happened, I must be overlooking something.

I'm going to load that old save, set X#JaheiraSen to 0, and test this again.

I'm going to load that old save, set X#JaheiraSen to 0, and test this again.

No dice, Can't chat with Seniyad. Setting X#JaheiraSen to 5 before entering FW1600 should do something, right?

Ok, as I remember, we get the "We approach the grounds where the Sahdw Druids tread....", then "Their attempt to encourage people...."

and X#JaheiraSen is still 5.

Let me see where X#JaheiraSen gets set to the 20 or 22 the area script wants.

OK, State Trigger 9 in _Seniya is used on State 31; that is the only state trigger that makes reference X#JaheiraSen being 5.

_AR1700.BCS does the check for X#JaheiraSen being 5; counter intuitive, since you''ve already been through FW1600.

Also X#Beador.BCS. OK, I guess I need to bring my party east (after setting X#JaheiraSen to 5) and then it should spawn that little group.

Sure enough, just as I entered, I got a message that Beador cast Iron Skins.

My little quest is back on; as to why it didn't go, I will leave to those who have a bit more scripting experience. Perhaps Khalid not being in the party is a clue.

My party is: Myself, a F/M/T; Minsc, Kivan, Dynaheir, Jaheira, and Imoen. I was thinking of dumping Minsc for Ajantis and Jaheira goes when i get Yeslick.

Beador's encounter takes place in FW1700; then you return to FW1600 to rescue Maretha. We did not want to overload the already heavily used FW1600 with multiple NPCs, when the adjacent FW1700 had plenty of roaming space and nothing of significance happening.

Archived