Portraits for the NPC's

Guest Mart

I used a mouse for that portrait, but only because I don't have my graphics tablet here. Tablets really do help!! I got mine for $99 AUS, I'm not sure what that is in any other currency...

Thankyou! :hm: I figured with the dress that no, it isn't practical, but the other IWD portraits don't exactly have practical clothes, either... the cloak is warranted, I think. It's bloody cold in Icewind Dale, I'd imagine!

For features like hands etc, I would suggest finding a reference, making a new layer, and painting the main things in... delete the reference layer, and refine whatever you painted on the new layer as needed. It's how most artists start out when doing complicated things like hands and stuff :blush:

Well, the thing is, while clothes are unpractical on many default portraits in IWD2, they are on the characters of clerical-wizardly orientation. The fighters, rangers etc, seem to wear the outfits they can move in, or (somewhat) appropriate armor. Prachi is a monk, and her main deployment is to move including high kicks and all that, so a gown is a bit of a misfit here. On Salomeya it will be Okay, especially if it is decorated with tons of furs. One of the cool thing about fantasy portraits is that they convey not just who the character is but what her class is. So, Prachi is likely to wear bracers, no jewlery and an outfit that allows for maximum freedom of movement. When I look at your portrait as is, it is an awsome wizardess.

Well, the thing is, while clothes are unpractical on many default portraits in IWD2, they are on the characters of clerical-wizardly orientation. The fighters, rangers etc, seem to wear the outfits they can move in, or (somewhat) appropriate armor. Prachi is a monk, and her main deployment is to move including high kicks and all that, so a gown is a bit of a misfit here. On Salomeya it will be Okay, especially if it is decorated with tons of furs. One of the cool thing about fantasy portraits is that they convey not just who the character is but what her class is. So, Prachi is likely to wear bracers, no jewlery and an outfit that allows for maximum freedom of movement. When I look at your portrait as is, it is an awsome wizardess.

i have drawn a monk picture that you may like. I would like to show it here...but umm....how do i post a picture? Also if you want to see a small sample of my art skills beforehand...look at my avatar. I drew her.

How to Attach a Picture

First your picture will already need to be online somewhere. So go to www.imageshack.us and click the browse button, select your picture from the directory on your computer. Make sure you have the remove size and resolution box not checked and also you don't want it resized so don't check that box either. Hit the host it button. On the next screen that appears click the "show to friends" link, then right click your picture and hit properties, then copy the location link from the properties. When making your post here click the insert image button and paste the link in there. Done! :blush:

I borrowed my Dad's graphics tablet today and made my first ever picture that i made completely myself without editing something already there. I've never sketched anything in my life, not even on paper and I only tried making portraits for the first time about 2 weeks ago, so i'm pretty chuffed with the outcome! It's our old friend Nord.

nordshieldih4.png

Archived