Crazy Celvan

Garfield

Here is the thing: I'd like to have my NPC talk to Crazy Celvan in the Docks, as Bioware NPCs do. Problem is... I don't know how to code that...

I cannot use INTERJECT(_COPY_TRANS) can I? Because otherwise it will be added after some other NPC's dialogue. So how can I do the following:

Have Celvan speak his "poem" when my NPC talks to him (I've looked at the triggers in NI, I know I should use RandomNum), then have the NPC answering, then going back to Celvan's dlg, at state 2:"Tee-hee hee!"

I guess I should append something to Celvan's dlg, then extern it to my NPC's dlg, and go back to Celvan's buuuuuuuuuuut... I am a total noob in anything containing APPEND or EXTERN :D

Thanks to anyone who can help :)

I don't know who Crazy Celvan in the Docks *is*. Which game (there's a docks area of Baldur's Gate, too, don't forget)? Is he added by a mod?

If he's added by a mod, best to leave him alone. Never a good idea to mod somebody else's mod unless you arrange it in advance. Also, install order becomes an issue.

If he's just a BioWare NPC non-joinable that I never ran into, and there are a few, then you should be perfectly fine with INTERJECT_COPY_TRANS *unless* something happens after talking to him, like a journal entry, giving gold, a reputation point loss/gain, or going hostile, or unless the PC has responses after the state you want to interject into.

If an action (setting a global, journal entry, giving gold, going hostile) occurs after the state you want to interject after, you have 2 choices: you can either use INTERJECT_COPY_TRANS2 (*if* there are no PC responses), or you can still use I_C_T, but you're going to need to give Celvan a line after yours.

Interjection order is installation order dependant. The mod installed last gets to interject first, as a rule.

Here's one of Gavin's interjections, so you can see what I mean.

This is what Mirianne, the lady in Beregost whose husband is taking too long to come home says in unmodified game. Her states are 0, 1, and 2.

IF ~NumberOfTimesTalkedTo(0)
~ THEN BEGIN 0 // from:
 SAY #75613 /* ~My husband had to make a sudden business trip to Amn and I'm so worried for him. "Mirianne," he always said. "Mirianne, who knows the road better than old Roe?" But the highways just aren't as safe as they once were and there hasn't been a messenger from Amn here in months. Could you keep your eyes open along the southern roads and let me know if you find anything?~ */
 IF ~~ THEN UNSOLVED_JOURNAL #75614 /* ~Mirianne's husband

I was moved by the pleas of Mirianne of Beregost, today.  Her husband, Roe, had to make a trip south to Amn and she is understandably worried for his safety.  I have sworn to keep my eyes open for any news of relevance I might encounter in my journeys down that road.~ */ EXIT

IF ~ReactionLT(LastTalkedToBy,FRIENDLY_LOWER)
PartyHasItem("_SCRL3I")
~ THEN BEGIN 1 // from:
 SAY #75615 /* ~"My dearest Mirianne,
 "The road has been difficult but I have arrived safely here in Amn. I think it would be wisest if I returned by sea, however, perhaps sometime after the first snows have fallen. I trust this letter reaches you. The halfling I hired to carry it struck me as an honest enough chap.
							Always and forever,
								Roe..."

Oh, thank you for such good tidings. Please, let me give you this ring to keep you safe in your travels.~ */
 IF ~~ THEN DO ~GiveItem("_RING06",LastTalkedToBy)
TakePartyItem("_SCRL3I")
AddexperienceParty(300)
EraseJournalEntry(75614)
EraseJournalEntry(75619)
~ SOLVED_JOURNAL #75616 /* ~Mirianne's husband

I have completed the task that a nameless halfling messenger, now dead and mourned, started deep in the heart of Amn.  Mirianne has received her husband's letter by my hand, and I am glad to hear that it bears good tidings of his safety.  I am humbled by her offer of a simple ring to keep me safe.  Be it magic or superstition, I know not, but I will wear it, at least, to remember her by.~ */ EXIT

IF ~ReactionGT(LastTalkedToBy,NEUTRAL_UPPER)
PartyHasItem("_SCRL3I")
~ THEN BEGIN 2 // from:
 SAY #75615 /* ~"My dearest Mirianne,
 "The road has been difficult but I have arrived safely here in Amn. I think it would be wisest if I returned by sea, however, perhaps sometime after the first snows have fallen. I trust this letter reaches you. The halfling I hired to carry it struck me as an honest enough chap.
							Always and forever,
								Roe..."

Oh, thank you for such good tidings. Please, let me give you this ring to keep you safe in your travels.~ */
 IF ~~ THEN DO ~GiveItem("_RING06",LastTalkedToBy)
TakePartyItem("_SCRL3I")
AddexperienceParty(300)
EraseJournalEntry(75614)
EraseJournalEntry(75619)
~ SOLVED_JOURNAL #75616 /* ~Mirianne's husband

I have completed the task that a nameless halfling messenger, now dead and mourned, started deep in the heart of Amn.  Mirianne has received her husband's letter by my hand, and I am glad to hear that it bears good tidings of his safety.  I am humbled by her offer of a simple ring to keep me safe.  Be it magic or superstition, I know not, but I will wear it, at least, to remember her by.~ */ EXIT

Gavin used to live in Beregost, in a house directly behind hers, so it would be very inappropriate for him to have nothing to say about Roe's disappearance.

So this is what I'm going to do. Mirianne gets the extra line after Gavin's just to be sure that the actions of giving the experience, the ring, and the journal entry, don't get transferred to Gavin (bad juju if that happens!).

/* Mirianne in Beregost */

I_C_T ~_MIRIAN~ 0 BGavinMirianne1
== ~_MIRIAN~ IF ~InParty("B!GAVIN") InMyArea("B!GAVIN") !StateCheck("B!GAVIN",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN ~Gavin, I know it has been a while since you were our neighbor, but you'll help an old friend, won't you?~
== ~B!GAVINJ~ IF ~InParty("B!GAVIN") InMyArea("B!GAVIN") !StateCheck("B!GAVIN",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN ~Of course, Mirianne. We'll keep our eyes open and send word if we hear anything.~
== ~_MIRIAN~ IF ~InParty("B!GAVIN") InMyArea("B!GAVIN") !StateCheck("B!GAVIN",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN ~Thank you! I know Roe can take care of himself, but I would rest so much easier if I just knew that he is safe.~
END

I_C_T ~_MIRIAN~ 1 BGavinMirianne2
== ~_MIRIAN~ IF ~InParty("B!GAVIN") InMyArea("B!GAVIN") !StateCheck("B!GAVIN",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN ~And thank you, Gavin, for doing a favor for an old friend.~
== ~B!GAVINJ~ IF ~InParty("B!GAVIN") InMyArea("B!GAVIN") !StateCheck("B!GAVIN",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN ~I am glad to hear that Roe is in good health and will be on his way home soon. Give him my best when you see him.~
== ~_MIRIAN~ IF ~InParty("B!GAVIN") InMyArea("B!GAVIN") !StateCheck("B!GAVIN",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN ~I will. Take care of yourself out there.~
END

I_C_T ~_MIRIAN~ 2 BGavinMirianne3
== ~_MIRIAN~ IF ~InParty("B!GAVIN") InMyArea("B!GAVIN") !StateCheck("B!GAVIN",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN ~And thank you, Gavin, for doing a favor for an old friend.~
== ~B!GAVINJ~ IF ~InParty("B!GAVIN") InMyArea("B!GAVIN") !StateCheck("B!GAVIN",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN ~I am glad to hear that Roe is in good health and will be on his way home soon. Give him my best when you see him.~
== ~_MIRIAN~ IF ~InParty("B!GAVIN") InMyArea("B!GAVIN") !StateCheck("B!GAVIN",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN ~I will. Take care of yourself out there.~
END

So is anybody going to tell me, or am I going to have to do a massive web search to find out how ignorant I am :D

Never mind. Now I remember.

Tricky one, that. It would make more sense if other NPCs, like Minsc, got a crack at him first.

Brain is fried. Seriously cranking out dialog today.

Tricky one, that. It would make more sense if other NPCs, like Minsc, got a crack at him first.

Actually he fires his poem randomly at one and only one NPC, that is why I was try to avoir the interjection command.

Well, I'll skip that bit, my one-day style NPC has already been under construction for 3 wholes day! Shame on me :D

@devSin: Yuck. I'll be avoiding him, too, then, when I get to BG2. I've got better things to do than agonize over headache-inducing code.

@Garfield: sounds like a good plan. A few easter eggs are nice, surprise interjections with inconsequential non-joinables, but there's no sense in wasting time on something that isn't going to contribute to either the pc's or the joinable npc's story. Still, now you have the skeleton for a basic interjection.

Also @Garfield: are you going to drop a few hints about this mysterious NPC? Don't feel bad about 3 days. I've been working on mine since August, and I'm still only about 85% done, and Tutu's shorter than BG2.

Also @Garfield: are you going to drop a few hints about this mysterious NPC? Don't feel bad about 3 days. I've been working on mine since August, and I'm still only about 85% done, and Tutu's shorter than BG2.

Huhu, soon enough, since I have all banters coded, and already a handfull of interjections. Some more, a install test, and I think I could uncover it for an alpha run :)

Judging from what I've seen though, Gavin is not even close to a one-day :p Banters, romance, voicing... Lol, mine does not even have a custom quest :D

Actually Crazy Celvan is not all that difficult to do. You simply append to his file your character's limerick:

APPEND CELVAN

IF WEIGHT #0
~See("P#KIVAN")
InParty("P#KIVAN")
InMyArea("P#KIVAN")
RandomNum(2,1)
Global("P#KivanCelvan","AR0300",0)
~ THEN BEGIN P#KivanCelvanusLimerick
 SAY @297
 IF ~~ THEN DO ~SetGlobal("P#KivanCelvan","AR0300",1)~ EXTERN ~P#KIVJ~ P#KivanCelvanusLimerick1
END

END

APPEND P#KIVJ

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN P#KivanCelvanusLimerick1
 SAY @298
 IF ~~ THEN EXTERN ~CELVAN~ 1
END

END

Archived