Harpy animation

pro5

Which game this Harpy animation is from? IcewindDale1, ID2?

th_62340_HARPY_122_573lo.JPG

Also, is there any way to convert BAM animation sequence from BG1 to BG2 format? I have the above Harpy animation in BG1 format (4 bams), and need to port it to BG2.

Which game this Harpy animation is from? IcewindDale1, ID2?
No idea. Can't you grep for it in NI or something? I don't have either IWD so I can't.
Also, is there any way to convert BAM animation sequence from BG1 to BG2 format? I have the above Harpy animation in BG1 format (4 bams), and need to port it to BG2.
What is the difference in formats? That shouldn't be too tough to port manually, though someone's probably already made an automated tool to do it, since Tutu and BGT both must do the proper conversions.

Ok, I've found her listed as 0xE249 Harpy in Icewind Dale ANIMATE.IDS. :)

Now I can extract the BAMS from ID which I think will work fine in BG2, but there's no corresponding 2DA file in Icewind Dale. :D I guess 2DA is required, because BG2 animations each have matching 2DA.

since Tutu and BGT both must do the proper conversions.

I don't think they really need to, all BG1 animations already exist in BG2.

Ok, I've found her listed as 0xE249 Harpy in Icewind Dale ANIMATE.IDS. :)
Maybe Heart of Winter, but it's definitely not a vanilla IWD animation. I think some of the ID2 animations are too wide for the BG2 engine, but in most cases, you can simply drop the animations in after renaming them (since you can't add slots, you need to use a slot that is defined; the harpy slot isn't supported in BG2).

Now I can extract the BAMS from ID which I think will work fine in BG2, but there's no corresponding 2DA file in Icewind Dale. :hm: I guess 2DA is required, because BG2 animations each have matching 2DA.
--biff-get. You can ignore the 2DAs for now. These are simply sequence sounds for the various animations.

When you're ready, the 2DA's are simply a table with sequence rows and sound reference columns. The first row are sounds to play when the sequence for the animation runs (so you can have harpies scream when you smack their tits or whatever). The second row is the delay (in frames) before playing the sound (you'd always want this to be 0, or you can just flip a coin to put either 0 or 2 for each sound reference). The sound references should be the filename of the WAV file to play; nosound is simply an invalid WAV reference (the engine doesn't ignore it; it just tries to play nosound.wav and fails since the file doesn't exist). *** is a null entry (the engine does ignore it). The engine will randomly choose from one of the sounds in a row; the invalid entries are used so a sound doesn't play every single time that the sequence runs. Note that these sounds automatically get pitch adjustments (the same as controlled by WFX files); it won't be an issue in most cases, but it can produce unpleasant results with certain types of sounds.

I don't think they really need to, all BG1 animations already exist in BG2.
No; at least the tasloi and basilisk animations weren't included with BG2.
Maybe Heart of Winter, but it's definitely not a vanilla IWD animation.

Probably HoW indeed, I have it installed. It's actually from Trials of the Luremaster expansion.

(since you can't add slots, you need to use a slot that is defined; the harpy slot isn't supported in BG2).

I'm going to use 0xE0A0 MTIC (IC_ICE_TROLL) slot, but when I look at how another mod (CtB) does it, it has 26 animation bams which are copied over. I've extracted the animation and it has only 24 bams. The 2 missing files are *A4.BAM and *A4E.BAM. Can I ignore this, or it depends on the 2DA file somehow?

CTB installs the following MTIC.2DA, if it helps:

MTIC / Red Harpy
					SOUND
ATTACK				  CBHARPY1 CBHARPY2 nosound
ATTACK				  2 0 0
AWAKE		   		***
AWAKE		   		0
CAST					***
CAST					0
CONJURE		 		***
CONJURE		 		0
DAMAGE				  CBHARPY7 CBHARPY8
DAMAGE				  0 0
DIE			 		CBHARPY9 CBHARPY0
DIE			 		0 0
HEAD_TURN	   		***
HEAD_TURN	   		0
READY		   		***
READY		   		0
SHOOT		   		***
SHOOT		   		0
TWITCH				  ***
TWITCH				  0
WALK					***
WALK					0
ATTACK_SLASH			CBHARPY5 CBHARPY6
ATTACK_SLASH			2 0
ATTACK_BACKSLASH		CBHARPY4 CBHARPY3 nosound
ATTACK_BACKSLASH		2 0 0
ATTACK_JAB			  CBHARPY4 CBHARPY5
ATTACK_JAB			  0 0
EMERGE				  ***
EMERGE				  0
HIDE					***
HIDE					0
SLEEP					  ***
SLEEP					  0
Battle_Cry				CBHARPY1 CBHARPY2
Battle_Cry				0 0
Selection			   CBHARPY1
Selection			   0

The A4* are shoot animations. Mods that copy animations over (Bestial Animations and I guess CtB) sometimes fill the animation slots with all the attack animations and casting animations* (a lot of animations don't have all the attack sequences, and some animations don't have conjure or cast sequences). I'm not sure why; they'll just be copies of other sequences from that animation, and I'd just ignore them (I do). The 2DA files are only used for sound; the game will use them if they're there, but the game doesn't otherwise care whether they exist or not. How the sequences are handled and what the sequences need to be named and other low-level stuff is all hard-coded.

Note that in cases where the jab sequence doesn't exist, the engine will randomly choose to play either the slash or backslash sequences when the jab sequence runs; this behavior may extend to the other 2 attack sequences (but not the shoot or other sequences).

You can look at Icewind Dale's SOUNDS.INI file to see what the BG2 anisnd 2DAs evolved from.

* To be clearer, they just copy an existing sequence and rename it so it's used for the corresponding sequence. The animation may have 26 files, but 2 of those files are going to be identical copies of 2 of the other files.

Archived