Adding equipment not working in tp2

berelinde

This should work, but doesn't:

COPY ~Gavin/CRE/B!GAVIN.CRE~ ~override~
 ADD_CRE_ITEM ~_HAMM01~ #0 #0 #0 ~IDENTIFIED~ ~WEAPON1~ EQUIP
 ADD_CRE_ITEM ~_SLNG01~ #0 #0 #0 ~IDENTIFIED~ ~WEAPON2~

This is code from BG1 NPC, and we know it works, so why isn't mine?

COPY_EXISTING ~_AJANTI.CRE~  ~override~
		  ~_AJANTI4.CRE~ ~override~
		  ~_AJANTI6.CRE~ ~override~
 ADD_CRE_ITEM ~_SW1H04~ #0 #0 #0 ~IDENTIFIED~ ~WEAPON1~ EQUIP
 ADD_CRE_ITEM ~X#AJSHLD~ #0 #0 #0 ~IDENTIFIED~ ~SHIELD~

The syntaxis is correct, I think the trouble might lay in the order you COPY the creature, ie you might be overriding it later on in your TP2. Could that be the case? I'm sorry if it's complete BS, but that's the only thing that leaps to my mind. I always ADD_CRE_ITEM when I assign soundset, dv etc.

The only case when I saw ADD_CRE_ITEM *not* work was with the capitalization.

I use the same (well roughly the same) code in my mods. I assume copying Gavin works (everything is in the right place) or you'd've noticed that by now.

This works, as far as I know, and REPLACE just moves anything in the existing slot to inventory:

COPY_EXISTING ~%tsu%GREYWO.CRE~ ~override/%tsu%GREYWO.CRE~
REPLACE_CRE_ITEM ~%tsu%CHAN03~ #0 #0 #0 ~NONE~ ~ARMOR~
REPLACE_CRE_ITEM ~%tsu%SLNG01~ #0 #0 #0 ~NONE~ ~WEAPON2~

[%tsu% = Tutu underscore if Tutu detected]

Um, the items you're adding to the CRE are either in the game or have been copied previously, right? That is, you're actually adding a plain hammer to Gavin and not something weirder? :hm:

Edit: Er sorry - REPLACE destroys anything in the existing slot and ADD moves it to inventory... I think... too much modding while sunbathing isn't a good idea I guess. :)

I might have had some kind of corruption. None of the quest cre's had *anything* in the correct inventory spot, nor did Gavin.

These worked perfectly well last install! I don't know what is going on here...

Oh, yes I do. I had iiItem last install, which adds random items to cre's: *all* cre's.

This time, I didn't install it....

Checking NI, I notice that I've got a hell of a mess. All of my mod cre's are hopelessly corrupted. Some of them have 9 suits of leather armor in inventory, one guy has a set of plate mail in his helmet slot (that has to hurt), and all kinds of weird stuff going on. No idea why the code didn't work, he should still have a hamer in the correct inventory slot, but I'm guessing the cre's are all messed up, in general.

As for why I have CREs from last install in the mod folder: I added a lot more dialog this version. I did a test installation on the old Tutu installation, got out all the bugs that would stop installation, then copied the corrected mod folder in the Tutu directory into my documents working directory, overwriting the good, uncorrupted CREs.

With things this messed up, I don't even know how to recover. Wipe the inventory completely and try rebuilding it?

This gets stranger and stranger:

Looking at B!GAVIN.cre in the mod folder, the one the tp2 installed from, I see that everything is exactly as it should be. He is equipped with a helmet in his helmet slot, armor in his armor slot, and a couple potions in the appropriate quickslots, and nothing else. I don't get it! Why would it be fine in the mod folder and hopelessly corrupted after installation?

The only thing I did was reinstall a portraits mod (which uninstalled and reinstalled about 15 other mods, but never mind).

I think my installation is hosed. He is also flagged as a permanent corpse, and cleric with an invoker kit!

God gods! It's amazing it didn't crash my game. Looking at the BG1 NPC project NPCs, they're all toasted, too. Alora's wearing a dagger as armor, and has her rabbit's foot in her shield slot.

Hang on! Careful saving practices to the rescue! I've got all my mod NPCs backed up on a CD.

These worked perfectly well last install! I don't know what is going on here...

Oh, yes I do. I had iiItem last install, which adds random items to cre's: *all* cre's.

This time, I didn't install it....

Checking NI, I notice that I've got a hell of a mess. All of my mod cre's are hopelessly corrupted. Some of them have 9 suits of leather armor in inventory, one guy has a set of plate mail in his helmet slot (that has to hurt).

Crivens. And you said iiItem was Tutu-compatible. Or does the corruption come from you installing other mods and modding your own on the same install at the same time? :) Does iiItem at least uninstall cleanly? If not, I guess it's time for a reinstall, or a restore from clean BG1 backup at least. :hm:

Edit: For the record, I do all my testing and development on separate installs, though not everyone has the luxury to do that (as I do not at present, since I'm away from my normal setup).

No, iiItmes is perfectly compatible, so long as you don't yank a CRE modified by iiItems out of your override folder and attempt to use it in an installation that doesn't include iiItems!
Nice one. I assume iiItems adds its own custom items. Did you do that with your whole savegame? Are you also hitting the Stella at the same time, to complicate matters even further? :)

No, this was just an wacky installation thing. No idea what caused it. It may have been installing/uninstalling/reinstalling a stack of tweaks mods because of a bad portraits mod, combined with using CREs corrupted from said encounter with iiItems.

I'm going to restore my CRE's from an early January save.

Thank goodness my dialogs are all right. I would have cried rivers if something happened to all the new ones I wrote this week and haven't backed up to CD yet.

Thank goodness my dialogs are all right. I would have cried rivers if something happened to all the new ones I wrote this week and haven't backed up to CD yet.
Well you would have those in a separate file anyway (.TRA, .TP2, plain text) right? You're not like modding directly in to dialog.tlk or something? :)

Now if your hard drive crashes, yeah you'd be out of luck. That's why I carry around a USB key, though I don't always remember to use it when I do some significant work on something (though I guess that's rare too :hm:).

No, that's in a separate folder, all right.

But my CREs are lost. The latest CD has something wrong with the CRE files, but again, the dialogs copy fine.

These CREs aren't meant to be, it seems.

Edit: No, they're all right. I had the CRE's stashed somewhere else on the hard drive, just because I do things like that.

Archived