Question about Gavin

Guest Kitanna

Guest Kitanna

I am new to these forums as I try not look before I play a mod. I think looking takes some of the fun out :) But, when I got caught by the romance kill after LT12 :D

I had to find out what I did wrong. I noticed by reading several things that Gavin gets drunk. I have played the mod thru and didn't have that happen ;) My question is, is there a trigger or something, other than being in a tavern, that sets it off?

Also, wonderful mod btw ;) Very sweet! Tho Xan still is my favorite, I truly enjoyed

Gavin :D Lastly, at the risk of sounding stupid, what exactly is an easter egg banter?

I am new to these forums as I try not look before I play a mod. I think looking takes some of the fun out ;) But, when I got caught by the romance kill after LT12 :)

Sorry about that. It was a horrible accident. If you have a save from before that, you can DL the repaired version, let it overwrite what's already there, reinstall the mod, and carry on from that save as if it were never there.

I know CamDawg was going to upload a fixed version, but that was right before the forums went down yesterday, and he might have forgotten.

I had to find out what I did wrong. I noticed by reading several things that Gavin gets drunk. I have played the mod thru and didn't have that happen :D My question is, is there a trigger or something, other than being in a tavern, that sets it off?

You actually have to get him drunk, as in buy him drinks at a tavern. You have to be drunk yourself, too. I put them in because I thought it was silly that you could go and get yourself intoxicated in a tavern, but it didn't change anything.

Lastly, at the risk of sounding stupid, what exactly is an easter egg banter?

An easter egg banter is one that is not described in any of the documentation. The drunk talks are easter egg banters, but there are more.

Thank you for your response and again, I love Gavin! I got the fix, not worries and it wasnt a big deal. I thought it was my fault. When I realized it wasnt... it was kinda funny. Dont feel bad. we are all human :) Ok, I have never seen an option to buy drinks. I must confess, I haven't played the BG games for long. Tho they have been out forever, I didnt know about them. Could you tell me please how you go about doing this?

You actually have to get him drunk, as in buy him drinks at a tavern. You have to be drunk yourself, too. I put them in because I thought it was silly that you could go and get yourself intoxicated in a tavern, but it didn't change anything.

I thought you were supposed to have a penalty to strength and dexterity or something. I believe I've read that somewhere, probably in the manual, but I can't find anything online to document this. Ah, wait, have a pdf format of the manual, darn it, my own paper manual is probably lost somewhere in a cardboard box, and it says:

"Effects of intoxication

All the better inns serve a variety of intoxicants and drinking to excess will, of course, impair your character's ability to function in combat. Sufficient drink bolsters the morale, but the trade off in effectiveness hardly makes it worth it. The numbers of drinks you can have before suffering penalties is closely related to your constitution, though recovering is uniform. A character with a constitution of 3 will find himself quite tipsy after one drink, though regardless of the amount, a good night's sleep will negate the effects."

So the penalties aren't listed, but is there any documentation that tells us exactly what goes on when a character is drunk? Just curious.

Anyway, I can just picture the whole thing. "Impair your character's ability to function in combat". Huh. "Come on, Minssshhc!!! *hic* To battle, with no *hic* regretssshh!!". :)

Seriously, and to get back on topic, getting Gavin drunk was one of the things that made the romance priceless. From the time I got that first drunk flirt, I kept dragging him into every tavern I could find, at every opportunity I got. Who knew leading a cleric of Lathander down a path of debauchery would be this easy? :D

EDIT: To but drinks, speak to an innkeeper, just like you would to get a room for the night. On the bottom of the screen, you have a couple of icons, the number varying with each innkeeper (ie some will buy goods, others will just offers drinks, etc). These icons are pretty self-explanatory: the backpack and sword is to sell goods, the mug is to buy drinks, and the bed is get a room (I'm not sure if there are any more...). So you click on the mug, and the menu changes, you get a listing of various drinks. At this point, you have the option to change which character is selected on the right-hand part of the screen. That way, you have control over who gets the drinks ("No, Aerie, no mulled wine for you!". Once you've selected which character gets to drink, you just click on which drink you want to give him or her, and voilà! You've had a drink! Mind you, Gavin needs more than one to get drunk...

Like I said, not all innkeepers offer all options. You have to click on the icons on the bottom. I'm including a screenchot of one of my visits in the Feldepost Inn:

Inn.jpg

On the bottom, you can see a person with a hand cupped near the mouth and a mug, you have to click on that the get the selection of drinks.

Hope it helps! :)

Like I said, not all innkeepers offer all options. You have to click on the icons on the bottom. I'm including a screenchot of one of my visits in the Feldepost Inn:

Inn.jpg

On the bottom, you can see a person with a hand cupped near the mouth and a mug, you have to click on that the get the selection of drinks.

Hope it helps! :)

In version 1.0 only Gavin had to be drunk, but I decided that Gavin probably wouldn't be *quite* that uninhibited, drunk or sober, if there wasn't a good chance the PC was in the same shape. So now the PC has to be drunk, too.

Sorry 'bout that, but it made sense. He's always going to ask to sleep it off, anyway.

In version 1.0 only Gavin had to be drunk, but I decided that Gavin probably wouldn't be *quite* that uninhibited, drunk or sober, if there wasn't a good chance the PC was in the same shape. So now the PC has to be drunk, too.

Sorry 'bout that, but it made sense. He's always going to ask to sleep it off, anyway.

Thanks a bunch all :) I am looking forward to that part since I missed it the first time around. I can't wait to see what happens. I have a feeling Xan won't be my favorite anymore when it's over :D

I love the drunk talks so much! Every NPC should have them! Otherwise being drunk is pretty darned useless - you don't even glean any useful information by downing a few in a tavern that you wouldn't have otherwise picked up in game anyway.

I remember there was talk a while back about a drunk banter mod that was going to write bunches of drunk banters for the regular bioware NPCs in BG2, but I think it went into hibernation.

Incidentally, what do you guys like to get Gavin tipsy on? Berelinde, in your mind is he more of a wine or beer kind of guy? To me he always seemed a beer type, and I would buy him "Old One Eye" at every inn that sold it because I have an incredibly filthy mind. :)

Flarn

Oh, jeez. That's horrible. :)

I don't know if he's got a preference. He's a commoner clean through to the bone, though, being the son of a tradesman and having absolutely no political ambition. If he's buying, it will be whatever's cheap. If you're buying, he'll drink whatever you put in front of him.

Oh, jeez. That's horrible. :D

Well, it's the game's own fault for having it in there. :)

If he's buying, it will be whatever's cheap. If you're buying, he'll drink whatever you put in front of him.

A man after my own heart - it's hard to be picky when someone else is buying, even if it is Old One Eye. ;)

Of course in the real world I have my eye on a new wine to try out. It is called - and I kid you not - "Cat Pee on a Gooseberry Bush". ;)

Flarn

Archived