Not Installing

I was installing the fixpack on BG2 and this one gave me an error. I did the first time I installed too. Is there a way to get this missing item or has everyone had the same install problem with this? here is the terminal list showing what happened:

Copying and patching 3 files ...

Copying and patching 1 file ...

Copying and patching 1 file ...

Copying and patching 16 files ...

ERROR locating resource for 'COPY'

Resource [elemprin.itm] not found in KEY file:

[./chitin.key]

Stopping installation because of error.

ERROR Installing [bETA Core Fixes (please check the readme!)], rolling back to previous state

Will uninstall 182 files for [bG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2] component 3.

Uninstalled 182 files for [bG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2] component 3.

ERROR: Failure("resource [elemprin.itm] not found for 'COPY'")

PLEASE email the file SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.DEBUG to webmaster@gibberlings3.net

Using Language [English]

Install Component [bETA Core Fixes (please check the readme!)]?

nstall, or [N]ot Install or [Q]uit? i

Yes, it's an item that is apparently only in ToB. If you want to proceed with that tweak or others, just comment that one line out (put a // in front of the line) where elemprin.itm is in the TP2 and reinstall. You may hit other ToB-specific items (not sure) - if so, you can do the same for those.

P.S.: Happy Birthday, btw :).

Hey Thanx for the Happy Birthday and I did as you suggested and // all the items that weren't installing (quite a few I might add) and I was able to install the remaining 8 bolt items. Also was able to install the rest of the script as well. Thank you.

Hi: First, I want to apologize, because my technical knowledge and skills are far below anyone's that I've seen posting here. It's only desperation that makes me post, so I apologize in advance for bringing down the level of discussion.

I just got BG2 a week ago and installed it on my Mac (OS X 10.4). I noticed saving errors, etc. and a Google search turned up the Bioware Fixpack. I was successful in downloading and expanding it, but when I clicked on the .command file as instruced in the "readme file", I received the following error:

"unable to find chitin.key: run me in an Infinity Engine directory"

When I look on the BG2 files that are installed, though, I definitely see a "chitin.key" file.

This thread seemed most topical, but I think the issue was different from mine. Could you help me? I would be most grateful. Also, if answers could be as basic as possible, that would help. I have never done programming or modding (correct term?), so most of the answers on this forum are incomprehensible to me. If that means I should suck it up and just play BG2 with what I've got, I understand and appreciate your time.

Thank you

Make sure you're dragging the contents of the fixpack archive folder to the BG2 - SoA folder (the .command file and the .exe and the fixpack folder should be in the same folder as the Baldur's Gate II application). Make sure you're fully updated before running the fixpack (either the SoA-only update if you don't have ToB or the ToB update if you do).

As for saving, there are two common issues under Mac OS X 10.4.x:

In the Baldur's Gate II folder, there might be a file named "temp" -- delete this file (drag it to the trash) and create a new folder (Cmd-Shift-N). Name the folder "temp" (without the quotes, of course). (This is automated by the fixpack with a simple script, but the file is created the first time you run the game, so you could still run into this problem after installing the fixpack if you haven't launched the game yet.)

You also need to exclude the Baldur's Gate II folder from Spotlight (its indexing can interfere with the way saving the game is handled). Launch System Preferences, click the Spotlight icon (in the Personal section), select the Privacy tab, and add the BG2 - SoA folder to the exclusion list (either by dragging the folder onto the list or by pressing the '+' button and navigating to and selecting it in the resulting dialog sheet).

Guest Hien Le

Thank you so much for the prompt response!! I am, sadly, at work, so I will try this as soon as I get home. Your kindness is much appreciated. -Hien

Make sure you're dragging the contents of the fixpack archive folder to the BG2 - SoA folder (the .command file and the .exe and the fixpack folder should be in the same folder as the Baldur's Gate II application). Make sure you're fully updated before running the fixpack (either the SoA-only update if you don't have ToB or the ToB update if you do).

As for saving, there are two common issues under Mac OS X 10.4.x:

In the Baldur's Gate II folder, there might be a file named "temp" -- delete this file (drag it to the trash) and create a new folder (Cmd-Shift-N). Name the folder "temp" (without the quotes, of course). (This is automated by the fixpack with a simple script, but the file is created the first time you run the game, so you could still run into this problem after installing the fixpack if you haven't launched the game yet.)

You also need to exclude the Baldur's Gate II folder from Spotlight (its indexing can interfere with the way saving the game is handled). Launch System Preferences, click the Spotlight icon (in the Personal section), select the Privacy tab, and add the BG2 - SoA folder to the exclusion list (either by dragging the folder onto the list or by pressing the '+' button and navigating to and selecting it in the resulting dialog sheet).

Guest Guest

Your instructions were wonderful, and the Fixpack installed perfectly. The fixes for the "save" problem worked great, too. Thank you again! -Hien

Archived