drugs in faerun

Guest faerun pusher

Guest faerun pusher

Hi,

I am wanting to perhaps create a small item mod that has different types of drugs in it.

I was wondering if anyone know of any drugs that is in faerun?

Im looking for the name(s), descriptions, effects, anything that will help with mod creation.

If you know of any internet sources that would help, that would be great!

thanks!

Book of Vile Darkness. There were some drugs like liquid pain and other. But once I've seen in polish official DnD site better article with maany many interesting drugs - I think more interesting than these from BoVD. As I know it was translation-enhancement of original Ed Greenwood article - then maybe you can find it somewhere in english language.

Also you can find some Netbooks for AD&D which includes drug topics - but I think most of them are just poor. I don't remember anything connected with drugs in official 2-nd edition Handbooks.

But I think drugs wouldn't be best in Infinity Engine - it's hard to do addiction system. But if you really want - why not? :)

-- Yarp

But I think drugs wouldn't be best in Infinity Engine - it's hard to do addiction system.
Not really... you'd just code it as a disease (what some would consider it anyway) where you lose HP or CON slowly after the main effects wear off. Then you'd have to get more of the stuff, which would dispel the side effects (until of course, the main effects wore off again, and so on...). Possibly a 'cure disease' or similar spell would break the addiction though.
Isn't Black Lotus a drug?
Common in a lot of fantasy (maybe going back at least to Homer's Odyssey) but I dunno about Faerun. In Lords of Darkness, drugs have names like haunspeir, jhuild ("thrallwine"), kammarth, katakuda ("dragonskin" - from Kara-Tur), etc.

The back room inhabitants of the Copper Coronet appear to be smoking it and it seems to be similar to opium. It's probably used as a reference to a drug that wouldn't count for the ESRB, as there's no mention of drug use (just alcohol) on the BG2 box.

Yes it is and like this dude said here:

The back room inhabitants of the Copper Coronet appear to be smoking it and it seems to be similar to opium. It's probably used as a reference to a drug that wouldn't count for the ESRB, as there's no mention of drug use (just alcohol) on the BG2 box.

...you can find 3 people smoking it in the Copper Coronet. And you even get to witness a man trying (and succeeding?) to smuggle it into the town in the City Gates, I believe. (He bribes the guards to let him take his *spices* with him.)

Black Lotus is quite common in the game (hence, the people smoking it in the CC and smugglers smuggling it into the city) and I think it would be a great drug to have in your mod! I would get pretty dissapointed if it doesn't inclued that drug. It would just fit into the game so good!

As for what the Black Lotus does, I haven't really got a clue, except for making the user pretty sleepy and lazy. And they start to see black spots(:)), I think the people smoking it in the CC say something about that -- correct me if I'm wrong.

Anyways, I like this idea and you better let me know when you're finnished with the mod cos I'll most definitely download it!! :love: Cheers

...you can find 3 people smoking it in the Copper Coronet. And you even get to witness a man trying (and succeeding?) to smuggle it into the town in the City Gates, I believe. (He bribes the guards to let him take his *spices* with him.)

Black Lotus is quite common in the game (hence, the people smoking it in the CC and smugglers smuggling it into the city) and I think it would be a great drug to have in your mod! I would get pretty dissapointed if it doesn't inclued that drug. It would just fit into the game so good!

As for what the Black Lotus does, I haven't really got a clue, except for making the user pretty sleepy and lazy. And they start to see black spots(:love:), I think the people smoking it in the CC say something about that -- correct me if I'm wrong.

This might seem like a silly question, but... Is it anything like the Black Lotus in Conan the Barbarian? If so, it just made them laugh, and do silly things! ???:)

From what I gather from the BG2 game, the smuggler does indeed succeed in bringing the Black Lotus into the city, as the guard turns a blind eye to him. It seems that Black Lotus does indeed correspond to the opium of our world. "Opium can cause euphoria, followed by a sense of well-being and a calm drowsiness or sedation. Breathing slows, potentially to the point of unconsciousness and death with large doses." Seems kinda similar to Black Lotus, no?

Sources:

Opium @ Wiki

Parternship for Drug-Free America web pages

Archived