happy patch glitch

Hmm, the topic starter didn't show up so here it is:

I have the game happy patched via the happy patch component in BG2 Tweaks. The party's rep is at 20. However, Haer'Dalis is bitching that he'd rather be traveling with an angry cambion than the likes of me, he'd imagine.

I reinstalled the happy patch but he still keeps on doing it.

Can I just edit a saved game with Shadowkeeper to restore the global variable for that to make him happy with the party again? If so, what is the name of the variable, and what value do I set it to?

The version of BG2 Tweaks I'm using is from Oct. '06, version 2 according to the readme. During installation there's only one option for the happy patch. The blurb in the readme:

"Happy Patch

This component disables NPCs complaining about the party's reputation. For example, evil characters will no longer be unhappy in a high reputation party. This component will also disable the Bioware NPCs from fighting with one another. In Baldur's Gate, Kivan/Viconia, Tiax/Quayle, etc. and Keldorn/Edwin, Valygar/Viconia, etc. in Baldur's Gate II."

And sure enough in the past it has not only kept NPCs from leaving but also from complaining. However, I think (? pretty sure...) this is ther first game I tried out Virtue...

Could there be a conflict with Virtue, perhaps?

Oh, yeah, now I remember. I don't run with Virtue, so I don't pay it an awful lot of attention. The Happy Patch does nothing for virtue value, but all the NPCs react to virtue value instead of rep. So your happy patch isn't doing a thing.

I have Virtue installed last in the installation order. If I simply uninstall Virtue at this point (I'm just about to enter Yaga-Shura's lair in a ToB game) is that going to bugger anything up in my heaviuly modded game?

Virtue hasn't really impacted on my game in any appreciable way anyway. And with several neutral aligned party members I'd really rather not hear them continually complain about the party's high rep (it's not only annoying but absurd).

Since Happy Patch and Virtue aim for the opposite goals: Virtue aims to give player feedback on the player's actions, and Happy Patch rather tends to negate the consequences of player's actions whether partially or completely, I would say that they are not directly compabile, yes.

Virtue hasn't really impacted on my game in any appreciable way anyway. And with several neutral aligned party members I'd really rather not hear them continually complain about the party's high rep (it's not only annoying but absurd).

Did they indeed? Tsk, tsk. :)

Lol, I hope it doesn't sound like I'm indirectly knocking Virtue! I'm not. In the game I'm playing the PC is behaving helpfully/herocially. So his rep is high and I've noticed nothing out of the ordinary with respect to party interaction or NPC reaction from his Virtue score. The party:

CN Wild Mage

Imoen

Minsc

Haer'Dalis

Jan Jansen

Hubelpot

Anyhoo, think I would have anything to worry about if I uninstalled Virtue at this point? I didn't read it over very carefully before i installed it back when, and didn't really realize the implications of the mod when I installed it. I was just curious to see what it did.

Again, for this particular game, in the balance, I'd rather have happy-patched Neutrally aligned NPCs not whining about being well regarded (which again is rather stupid--even for evil characters it's stupid!).

I think you'll be all right if you uninstall Virtue at any point of the game. However, as with every mod, there is a risk that your save may suffer - mixed dialog.tlk lines, etc. But I don't think it is very likely.

Archived