Assassin Deployment etc.

First of all, I just wondered if the SCS mod alters the standard fight with the Phoenix Guards in Nashkel. I'm asking this because I keep on getting a CTD(crash-to-desktop) at the start or the middle of the fight. I did get through the whole fight on one occasion, without a CTD, but, stupidly, I failed to save the game, and clicked on the grave once again, and got the CTD, as usual, the second time.

This may be due to temporary computer mal-performance, and there should be a few online tips I can use which might help improve things. I just wondered, though, if the SCS mod had changed anything in that battle.

Lastly, I've reached chapter 5, just recently, and I still haven't had the 2 assassin groups(formerly present in Gullykin and Nashkel Mines exit areas) turn up. I know that, in another thread, it's claimed they will eventually turn up - but, just in case, is there a trigger event-code or something that can call them up? After all, a BG game without those assassins would be rather incomplete.

Something might be awry with your installation. I've clicked on the grave in Nashkel with SCS installed and get the usual Phoenix Guards showing up with no CTD.

In terms of the bounty hunters:

What should happen is:

1) either five days after you start chapter 3, or straight after you encounter Tranzig, the first group spawns.

2) either at the start of chapter 4, or 5 days after you kill the second group*if you have encountered Tranzig*, the second group spawns.

So I think you should have definitely had them by now.

I presume you can use CLUA console to get them to spawn but it might be that these problems are symptoms of a wider issue. Do you have any other mods/patches etc installed?

I presume you can use CLUA console to get them to spawn but it might be that these problems are symptoms of a wider issue. Do you have any other mods/patches etc installed?

I have every single one of the mods downloaded that are listed on the (Easy)Tutu compatibility list (on the NPC1 Project Tutu forum?). I made sure not to include any other mods as these fouled up my previous games.

I've checked the CRE(Creature) file of Shadowkeeper, looking for the names of the assassins(eg:- Telka?), but failed to find any of them - though I may have scrolled too fast. I'll check once again, just in case. Certainly, just using CreateCreature(""), and inserting the names of the assassins, in capital letters, didn't work at all.

I can confirm that SCS doesn't touch the Phoenix Guards.

As for the assassins, I'm not sure why they haven't turned up. If you can use the console, though, try entering the following

SetGlobal("DMWWC3Assassin","GLOBAL",1)

SetGlobal("DMWWC3AssassinSpawn","GLOBAL",0)

That should create one group immediately (assuming you're outdoors and not in a city). You should be able to get the other group via

SetGlobal("DMWWC3Assassin","GLOBAL",2)

SetGlobal("DMWWC3AssassinSpawn","GLOBAL",0)

One thing I have noticed on occasion is that if you leave an area where the assassins have spawned before they talk to you (sometimes happens because it occasionally takes a while for the one who talks to you to appear out of the fog of war) they've vanished when you return to the area. In addition, I think I've rested once when two of the assassins have been in view (but not the "talker" or the other one) and the other two didn't spawn at all. The two remaining ones just stayed on the screen and wouldn't either talk to me or turn hostile.

So it could be therefore that (some of) the assassins spawned, you didn't stay in the area long enough for the dialogue to occur, and so you missed them.

As I've found this bit of SCS a little bit erratic, I usually go somewhere like outside the Friendly Arm after I've killed Tranzig and rest a few times till they pop up. Not quite in the spirit of the encounter, but it tends to avoid the glitches above :)

I'm not aware of any mod that touches the Phoenix Guards. BGT fixes their scripts, but of course, you're not playing BGT, and that fix shouldn't cause crashes anyhow. Do you get an error message or anything?

Others have reported issues with the assassins (even after the last fix I think).

I finally worked out what I'd done wrong. When checking ShadowKeeper, I hadn't noticed a dash("_") before the beginning of each code-name for the various assassin characters. So, after I'd checked ShadowKeeper a 2nd time, I duly inserted the dash before each name and got each character to appear, one by one, until I could fight both groups at once. This wasn't perfect as they appeared in a quite different location to where the mouse-pointer pointed, but that didn't matter.

As for the Phoenix Guards combat-scene, I reloaded for what must be the 50th time, and it finally worked, without CTDing.

I have only one gripe re this combat, and that is that it isn't properly resolved. Shouldn't there be a fight with the wizard D'aer Ragh, after taking out the Phoenix Guards? At the very least, re plot, we should be able to

find out exactly why the wizard wanted to fake his own death.

I have only one gripe re this combat, and that is that it isn't properly resolved. Shouldn't there be a fight with the wizard D'aer Ragh, after taking out the Phoenix Guards? At the very least, re plot, we should be able to find out exactly why the wizard wanted to fake his own death.
Yeah, it seems to be a pointless easter egg or perhaps unfinished business. Probably not in the realm of SCS to try to enhance it. I was thinking about it in one of the mods I'm working on (about halfway down this thread, under Tervadh):
Should the Phoenix Guards really be easier (it is an easter egg after all)? One possibility is to leave them tough, but give you something for defeating all of them (currently I don't think there's much of a point, except for fun and maybe getting them to slaughter Amnish soldiers ).

From another forum:

"Daer'Ragh is a vampire mage invented by Bioware, his name being a corruption of Mark Darrah, one of the programmers. He appears in Nashkel in BG1, as an easter egg (hint: you have to click on a certain grave)."

I don't usually bother with him due to the high risk of collateral damage, ie. exploding guards killing off the various folk of Nashkel. They should have stuck him in a proper tomb, a la BG2.

cheers

coaster

Archived