Regarding RestParty()

berelinde

I would like to separate the party, moving one NPC and the PC to a separate area, making the other party members unselectable and under the effects of a party hold. During the course of this encounter, I'd like the PC to be able to rest normally. Is it possible to use RestParty() in the dialogue to effect this, even though the party is divided and everyone except the PC has some sort of effect in place?

Still learning, every day.

What will happen to the party NPCs' dream scripts in this case? Will they activate, if the NPCs are not under the MADE_UNSELECTABLE effect? And if they are under this effect, will the effect hold through rest(and then, won't RestParty() conditions in their scripts trigger)?

Good point. I'm using the MAKE_UNSELECTABLE effect, though. I guess we'll have to see what happens, but the good news is that I'll probably have a good idea of the answer by the time I send it to you. I'll stick a test dream script block to run for one of the InParty NPCs and see what happens. I'm guessing that the uninterruptability of RestParty() will probably trump it, but I'll find out.

On sober reflection, I don't think using RestParty() will run the dream script of other NPCs. After all, we all use it in our romance mods, and it doesn't make a long line of dream talks fire in succession.

It does. It is possible to get two resting talks in a row, for example.

Anyway, I think the best way is testing - you'll probably be testing it, and I'll test it with Xan\Kelsey\Keto installed afterwards; I think I know of two or three tricky situations I might want to check.

Cool. I'm still going for FadeTo and FadeFrom, though -

1) any of these encounters may happen during timed quests, which is especially relevant when "rest until healed" option is up;

2) sex doesn't necessarily take all night;

3) if an Irenicus dream pops up during a night with Bodhi, it would be delicious, of course, but rather out of place.

It does if you do it right :( (sorry - it was the perfect setup!)

For Sheri and for Laran, I think the overnight rest is a must, but I am playing with the idea of merely adding an advancing of time 4 hours, as I play around with adding or not adding portraits. For Chanelle, I am thinking of doig the opposite - the whole party can enter/be in the master bedchamber, but needs to be shooed out - so I need to reverse this code so that only Player1 and Chanelle are left near the tubs. Ada I do not not know...

so I need to reverse this code so that only Player1 and Chanelle are left near the tubs.

Oh, okay - you need cutscenes, then? I'll add them for beta 2, if you do - it just I wasn't sure you've mentioned it before. (I think it looks fine as it is - after all, FlirtPack's bathing scenes are done exactly like this; but that's just me).

I won't be adding timers to mine, I think - after all, what can PC do with Saemon or Bodhi for more than fifteen minutes, discuss algebra? (But that's just me - I prefer it short, and to the point).

You know, I think you are right, Kulyok - simplest is best. The player has the option of going to meet Chanelle alone, or not - I don't think she needs a cutscene removal of the others, or a timer. I'm happy with her the way she is. I want to play with/make some suggestions on the after commentary, if that's ok, and I will send you her portrait soon -

Sheri will need some, and Renal will definitely need some (and if you have a portrait for Renal that would be awesome. I can't seem to get my head around what he really would look like.)

Onsce again, I have managed to go completely off the original topic. Sorry :(

Sheri will need some, and Renal will definitely need some

Sure, will do. By the way, remember that cool room, just like Aran's, but empty, and with blue tiles on the floor? I copied its area file(so nobody else is there), and used it for Saemon - so they are alone in a cool room. I think we could do it for Renal/Sheri, as well - any area, any at all - you just need to tell me which look you'd prefer.

(and if you have a portrait for Renal that would be awesome. I can't seem to get my head around what he really would look like.)

Um, I think an exact portrait would suck big time, actually, because different people will have different ideas of him. I know I didn't like The Longer Road's portraits, because Cyric didn't look like I have imagined him at all. I know it would be "an inevitable evil" if a character was made joinable, but as it is...

(That is, if you feel you need to say he has long/short dark hair, he is tall/short, he is built so-and-so - of course. I am not sure, however, that we can pick a good enough portrait that will satisfy everyone. I'll even go further and say that with the exception of MrsCake's gorgeous IWD2 portraits, I've not seen any mod portrait pack that I've liked).

Archived