Questions about Variables

Sorry about the topic title, I'm awful with them. :D

I have just started playing with Kivan and I absolutely adore what I've seen so far. ;)

But, I'm paranoid about variables, because from what I've read in the readme, it seems that Kivan's romance is affected by other active romances. My PCs are not really the type to pursue multiple romances at the same time, even though such things do happen because many romances start completely innocent and I can't bring myself to use OOC knowledge that they are romances to cut them early, especially if the options to do so are rude or presume too much - IMO - after only a few LTs (i.e, telling the NPC "I only want you as a friend" after only five very general and platonic talks). That's it from the RP point of view. Now, to the actual questions.

I want Anomen in the party because he's frankly my favourite cleric, and even if he wasn't, I'd still take him because Aerie's and Viconia's personalities annoy the hell out of me (not to mention that Viconia is evil and keeping her would imply the effort of doing reputation math, while Aerie's performance as a main cleric for a six people party leaves me unimpressed due to her slow levelling up in a full party). As soon as Anomen joins, though, his romance starts and as such P#KivanLove decreases by a value (3, IIRC). The same thing happens in Kelsey's case, but I solved the issue by cheating the J#KelseyRomanceActive value to 3 via the console. This was not a problem because I really don't want to romance Kelsey, as I already have a different game where that happens. I still want him to come with, since I want to have as many arcane casters in my party as possible.

I'd do the same thing with Anomen, except that it's really hard because I fear it would mess with his quest, which I happen to like, from a RP point of view. So I thought of ways to get him off my PC's back in-game, not via the console, because I'd like to stop breaking the immersion via console use. But as far as I can see, the only in game options to stop Anomen's romance are the rude PC responses written by Bioware, at least in the early stages. I would really like to know if there is another way, introduced perhaps by Kivan's installation. Such as, I don't know, an added banter in which I can - politely - make it clear to Anomen that my PC wants Kivan (and in this process, change Anomen's RA value to 3).

If no such content exists, then is it safe for the Kivan romance if I wait until Anomen passes his test before I use the console to kill Anomen's romance? IIRC, Anomen RA goes to 2 soon after his test concludes, without giving a dialogue option for setting it to 3, so it would be a little bit complicated to terminate it without cheating and without choosing rude replies to him. Personally, I'd rather cheat than insult an NPC I like, and I'd just like to know, in advance, if my plan to wait with said cheating for story enjoyment purposes is doable without ruining Kivan's romance?

Secondly, I have a question which does not pertain to variables, but which I'll type here anyway 'cause I don't like starting new topics. I poked through Kivan's d and tra files and there's an entire Tazok sequence, which carries out even in ToB. Will I miss much content if I don't let Kivan keep Tazok's gross heart? Because I really can't see how my NG PC would let Kivan endanger himself. But I'm willing to let go of that, if the content which I get access to via allowing him to keep the heart is worth it (i.e., if it adds loads of character development and some reasons to make me feel less guilty for going against how I usually play my CHARNAMEs).

Thirdly, I would like to ask for some spoilers, please.

It's about Kivan's love talks during SoA: I know that the LTs start after talking with Aphril in Spellhold, if P#KivanLove is high enough. Does this mean that they happen in places such as Underdark? I mean, for instance, the first LT (the one with the squirell) which is listed in the thread with Kivan's SoA content has listed as conditions "at rest, in forest". But I don't know of any areas marked as forests in Chapters 4/5. So does this mean that I'll have to wait for Chapter 6 before I get any of those talks or that there are forest areas post Spellhold which I'm unaware of? If the former, what is the timer on Kivan's LTs? I need to know, in order to plan exactly what quests to leave for Chapter 6. I usually do them all, bar Twisted Rune, as I am in no rush to save Imoen 'cause I really don't like her and can't play or even imagine a PC who would. But I can change that easily, for Kivan, if it's necessary and RP a PC who rushes to Imoen's aid because it's important for her *non-Imoen* companions that she does as such. Speaking of which, can I tell you how much I enjoyed this story of yours? It resonated almost completely with how I and my PCs usually feel when facing Imoen-related content in BG 2. ;)

Fourthly, about ToB flirts, and this post of yours. I'm a little bit confused, does your post mean that PID Flirts are disabled in ToB and have to be activated manually via the console in order to work? English is not my native language and I don't know much about coding/variables/etc., which should hopefully explain why I'm feeling confused.

Fifthly, how is Kivan's name pronounced? Is the accent on the first vowel or on the second?

Finally, I know that I shouldn't talk just yet because I've barely started, but I'd really like to tell you that I positively love your Mod so far. I love it so much that 1) I cheated for the first time since I've started to play (see what I did to Kelsey just because I don't know his romance as well as Anomen's, and thus had no idea which non-rude dialogue options to use in order to cut it off early); 2) I reload five times more than usual (which says a lot, considering my general BG 2 reload count in other games is below 5) just because I want to see as much of his dialogue as possible. His music and dialogue are so beautiful that I don't even mind the lack of voice (which I normally do mind). I didn't think I'd play SoA again so soon since I've already completed it a few times, but Kivan changed my mind. I thank you for this. ;)

I'd do the same thing with Anomen, except that it's really hard because I fear it would mess with his quest, which I happen to like, from a RP point of view. So I thought of ways to get him off my PC's back in-game, not via the console, because I'd like to stop breaking the immersion via console use. But as far as I can see, the only in game options to stop Anomen's romance are the rude PC responses written by Bioware, at least in the early stages. I would really like to know if there is another way, introduced perhaps by Kivan's installation. Such as, I don't know, an added banter in which I can - politely - make it clear to Anomen that my PC wants Kivan (and in this process, change Anomen's RA value to 3).

There is a banter like that, but it was reported to be messed up in V7. Do you want me to give you a link to V8, and then you can test it for me, and we help each-other? Unfortunately, Cam is away, so I can't realy have V8 officially up for grabs ;)

If no such content exists, then is it safe for the Kivan romance if I wait until Anomen passes his test before I use the console to kill Anomen's romance? IIRC, Anomen RA goes to 2 soon after his test concludes, without giving a dialogue option for setting it to 3, so it would be a little bit complicated to terminate it without cheating and without choosing rude replies to him. Personally, I'd rather cheat than insult an NPC I like, and I'd just like to know, in advance, if my plan to wait with said cheating for story enjoyment purposes is doable without ruining Kivan's romance?

As long as you do it before Aphril, your actions will be taken into account. I think that the conflict banter did kick in after the test, because Anomen has a sneaky way of switching to 2 after he passed his test. You might be playing with fire if that happens (ie Anomen gets to 2), but Kivan has to have a relatively low number in P#KivanLove in order to kick-start the romance after Aphril (3), and then you can raise it relatively fast in the post UD talks to 10 in order to have the romance to 'stick' into ToB.

Secondly, I have a question which does not pertain to variables, but which I'll type here anyway 'cause I don't like starting new topics. I poked through Kivan's d and tra files and there's an entire Tazok sequence, which carries out even in ToB. Will I miss much content if I don't let Kivan keep Tazok's gross heart? Because I really can't see how my NG PC would let Kivan endanger himself. But I'm willing to let go of that, if the content which I get access to via allowing him to keep the heart is worth it (i.e., if it adds loads of character development and some reasons to make me feel less guilty for going against how I usually play my CHARNAMEs).

The choice is yours. As you have seen, there is a sequence associated with it, and if you actually help Kivan through it, you will have his CON upgraded in ToB, after he is relieved off the heart (but you'll suffer a penalty on his CON in SOA, again how much of a penalty is determined from your responces).

Thirdly, I would like to ask for some spoilers, please.

It's about Kivan's love talks during SoA: I know that the LTs start after talking with Aphril in Spellhold, if P#KivanLove is high enough. Does this mean that they happen in places such as Underdark? I mean, for instance, the first LT (the one with the squirell) which is listed in the thread with Kivan's SoA content has listed as conditions "at rest, in forest". But I don't know of any areas marked as forests in Chapters 4/5. So does this mean that I'll have to wait for Chapter 6 before I get any of those talks or that there are forest areas post Spellhold which I'm unaware of? If the former, what is the timer on Kivan's LTs? I need to know, in order to plan exactly what quests to leave for Chapter 6. I usually do them all, bar Twisted Rune, as I am in no rush to save Imoen 'cause I really don't like her and can't play or even imagine a PC who would. But I can change that easily, for Kivan, if it's necessary and RP a PC who rushes to Imoen's aid because it's important for her *non-Imoen* companions that she does as such. Speaking of which, can I tell you how much I enjoyed this story of yours? It resonated almost completely with how I and my PCs usually feel when facing Imoen-related content in BG 2.

Kivan will have a period of mourning when he won't talk to you. IIRC he had some UD specific dialogues, but mostly him being unhappy about being a drow, Aerie's stuff with Solaufein, etc, rather than romantic. You might want to leave a forest quest, such as Shadow Dungeon for Chapter 6, though, to see more of the lovetalks.

Fourthly, about ToB flirts, and this post of yours. I'm a little bit confused, does your post mean that PID Flirts are disabled in ToB and have to be activated manually via the console in order to work? English is not my native language and I don't know much about coding/variables/etc., which should hopefully explain why I'm feeling confused.

That one will show up if you had a lot of flirts with Kivan in Chapter 6. I think I fixed it with V8, so it might be worth your while to just go with V8 and not owrry about it. His PID will kick in after his first LT. If that does not happen, I'm dreaming about fixing this bug ;)

Fifthly, how is Kivan's name pronounced? Is the accent on the first vowel or on the second?

I always went with KI-van, rather than Ki-VAHN. Viconia might be saying it in BG1.

Finally, I know that I shouldn't talk just yet because I've barely started, but I'd really like to tell you that I positively love your Mod so far. I love it so much that 1) I cheated for the first time since I've started to play (see what I did to Kelsey just because I don't know his romance as well as Anomen's, and thus had no idea which non-rude dialogue options to use in order to cut it off early); 2) I reload five times more than usual (which says a lot, considering my general BG 2 reload count in other games is below 5) just because I want to see as much of his dialogue as possible. His music and dialogue are so beautiful that I don't even mind the lack of voice (which I normally do mind). I didn't think I'd play SoA again so soon since I've already completed it a few times, but Kivan changed my mind. I thank you for this.

I am really glad you are enjoying the mod! I am actually continue to be surprised by the success the mod is having, because I always thought of it as a niche mod, of interest to very small audience.

Anyway, here is the link to V8, hopefully, it will make your play-through a bit less troublesome.

http://members.shaw.ca/gorion/Kivan_V8.rar

Thank you so much for your prompt reply, Domi!

There is a banter like that, but it was reported to be messed up in V7. Do you want me to give you a link to V8, and then you can test it for me, and we help each-other? Unfortunately, Cam is away, so I can't realy have V8 officially up for grabs ;)

I'd love to help! Though I should warn you that I've never playtested before.

Would you also like reports about typoes/spelling etc. (I did notice some in my current playthrough, but only a few)?

As long as you do it before Aphril, your actions will be taken into account. I think that the conflict banter did kick in after the test, because Anomen has a sneaky way of switching to 2 after he passed his test. You might be playing with fire if that happens (ie Anomen gets to 2), but Kivan has to have a relatively low number in P#KivanLove in order to kick-start the romance after Aphril (3), and then you can raise it relatively fast in the post UD talks to 10 in order to have the romance to 'stick' into ToB.

The LT which sets Anomen RA to 2 is the first LT to fire after he passes his test, so what I was considering was to leave the RA at 1 till he passes the test, then change it to 3 as soon as the test is over. All this before Spellhold, of course. Would doing this preven me from seeing that conflict banter?

The choice is yours. As you have seen, there is a sequence associated with it, and if you actually help Kivan through it, you will have his CON upgraded in ToB, after he is relieved off the heart (but you'll suffer a penalty on his CON in SOA, again how much of a penalty is determined from your responces).

Understood. Mainly, I wanted to avoid him hurting over a bad decision. It's not that I care about his stats, since I am not a powergamer. I just care about certain NPCs and hate to see them suffer if I can avoid it (I know this probably sounds silly).

Kivan will have a period of mourning when he won't talk to you. IIRC he had some UD specific dialogues, but mostly him being unhappy about being a drow, Aerie's stuff with Solaufein, etc, rather than romantic. You might want to leave a forest quest, such as Shadow Dungeon for Chapter 6, though, to see more of the lovetalks.

That was exactly what I was thinking as well, though I was unsure if the Shadow Dragon quest would be sufficient if I wanted to see all LTs?

That one will show up if you had a lot of flirts with Kivan in Chapter 6. I think I fixed it with V8, so it might be worth your while to just go with V8 and not owrry about it. His PID will kick in after his first LT. If that does not happen, I'm dreaming about fixing this bug ;)

I see. So, in order to install v8, I have to first remove all v7 components, both via uninstall with the setup.exe and manual deletion of all files which the auto uninstall did not remove?

I always went with KI-van, rather than Ki-VAHN. Viconia might be saying it in BG1.

Eeep. It seems I got it wrong. ;) Oh, well, I'll try to adapt.

I am really glad you are enjoying the mod! I am actually continue to be surprised by the success the mod is having, because I always thought of it as a niche mod, of interest to very small audience.

Awww, why? Your writing is excellent and helps with immersion a lot. It has a certain unique attribute that I can't seem to be able to shake off, i.e., it makes me want to play, and play, and play for as long as I need to find out what happens next. Modwise, I've only felt this during Ajantis' romance in BG 1 NPC and due to its rarity, I've grown to appreciate the feeling very much. :D

I am reluctant to say more because I've only played through a few talks/banters, so my opinion isn't that well founded, but I would still like you to know how much I am enjoying this, before I'm ready with a full playthrough.

Anyway, here is the link to V8, hopefully, it will make your play-through a bit less troublesome.

http://members.shaw.ca/gorion/Kivan_V8.rar

Thank you. I'll start playing as soon as I figure it out what exactly I have to install/uninstall in order to do so.

The LT which sets Anomen RA to 2 is the first LT to fire after he passes his test, so what I was considering was to leave the RA at 1 till he passes the test, then change it to 3 as soon as the test is over. All this before Spellhold, of course. Would doing this preven me from seeing that conflict banter?

You know, I am not quite sure. I think it was triggered immediately after Anomen passes or fails the test.

Don't worry about testing per se, just let me know if it worked for you or didn't. If you can savr before Ano is going for it, then it would be super, because I'll be able to use the save to fine tune it. ;)

Okay. Uninstalled v7 and started a new game with v8. I'll let you know of what I come across, if it's relevant. I shall also email you as many saved games as needed. I have loads of them, 'cause I save often and always make a separate save after each NPC dialogue I receive.

You know, I am not quite sure. I think it was triggered immediately after Anomen passes or fails the test.

In my games so far, the LT in question usually fired at the normal time interval (3600 seconds) after he passed his test. I was thinking to use the console to set the RA to 3 before that, i.e., right after he talks with Ryan Trawl in the temple, after the test. I could, of course, save before it, cheat the variable value, save the file in question, then load the "before CLUA" save and do it differently, if you'd like me to. I.e., let his romance proceed normally with the LT which sets his RA to 2, and send to you both saved games. I don't know yet the conditions for the Kivan/Anomen banter to happen, so I'll have to play and see (I can't wait ;) ).

Don't worry about testing per se, just let me know if it worked for you or didn't. If you can savr before Ano is going for it, then it would be super, because I'll be able to use the save to fine tune it. :)

Hello again.

I just wanted to tell you that the Anomen-Kivan-PC dialogue did not trigger after Anomen's test. I played for about 30 minutes or so after his test and it did not. I eventually cheated to see it (with Ctrl-I), because if I waited any longer, Anomen RA would have become 2, and I didn't want that. When scrolling up after the conversation, PC's lines were attributed to anyone else than the PC in the record box (or whatever it's called), from Kelsey, to Keldorn, and even Kivan. I tried moving everyone apart from PC, Anomen and Kivan away from the rest of the party, then CTRL-I till the banter in question but in this case, even if I was (like before) able to select PCs line just fine, when scrolled up they would show up as Kivan's. Telling Kivan beforehand (or after) that his voice sounded strange did not fix tis, nor did selecting Kelsey and pressing "K" help.

I have both screenshots and saved games with the event, so if you want to look at them, please let me know. I am aware that it is possible that the reason why strings got messed up is because I used the Ctrl-I cheat.

Other than that, I've experienced no problems with the Mod (I'm in Underdark, currently) so far.

Hmm, looking at my code, the talk is actually scheduled to happen when Anomen is already RA=2.

You should not be bale to trigger this talk now from Ctrl+I, plus the line mix up... it seems that you ave a bit of a mess in the dialogue.tlk with old codes hanging around :) And yep, I am guessig that in the old version PC's replies would show up as Kivan's, because most probably, it was tagged as Interact("Kivan").

Anyway, can you send me a saved game, please? It will be easier for me to troubleshoot from it, and get the troublesome talk behaving at last.

Hmm, looking at my code, the talk is actually scheduled to happen when Anomen is already RA=2.

May I ask why? Is it because of a roleplaying reason, or a characterization issue, or something else which escapes me?

I'm not sure what happens with Kivan's interest when another romance gets set to 2, but judging by the fact that P#KivanLove decreases by 3 with each RA=1, I can only imagine it decreases even more when RA=2. Which is bad for me, because there's no way to prevent Anomen RA going to 2 during the dialogue in which it happens (first LT after his test). So what I'm trying to ask (and failing to do so in a concise manner, I'm afraid :) ) is why is the Kivan-Anomen-PC dialogue in question supposed to happen only when Anomen's RA is 2, considering how badly is Kivan's romance affected by another romance gone active? I mean, why is there no legit way to see that particular dialogue for players such as me, who don't want their PC to commit to Anomen (and thus I cheat by setting Anomen RA to 3 via the console right after his test, because the only other option to prevent commitment is to be rude to him in one of the previous dialogues), but would still like to see if he and Kivan interact in any manner about my PC (which probably sounds horribly self centered, but there you go).

You should not be bale to trigger this talk now from Ctrl+I, plus the line mix up... it seems that you ave a bit of a mess in the dialogue.tlk with old codes hanging around :)

And yep, I am guessig that in the old version PC's replies would show up as Kivan's, because most probably, it was tagged as Interact("Kivan").

You know best. :)

If it helps any, I don't have many Mods installed. Just Ascension, Kelsey, Kivan and Flirt Packs for Anomen. I uninstalled + reinstalled them all, three times in total: first time to remove Kivan version 7 in favour of version 8, second time because the idea that Flirt Packs should preferably be the last Mod installed completely escaped my memory during first uninstallation/reinstallation process, and last time because I installed Ascension. The saved game, however, is before Ascension's installation.

Anyway, can you send me a saved game, please? It will be easier for me to troubleshoot from it, and get the troublesome talk behaving at last.

Absolutely. Is it all right if I use the email address from the ReadMe file? That's what the pinned topic in this forum has suggested (I won't copy/paste it here 'cause I don't like doing this to emails in public).

Oh, and one more thing: I've never sent a saved game file before, so I am unsure which ones exactly do you need. I have created both a zip and a rar version of the saved game folder which is right before Anomen's test and in which the banter in question can be triggered via Ctrl-I (just tell me which archive format you prefer, please). And do you need it in this form or do you need just the .sav file inside? For the record, both archived folders are less than 500 KBs in size.

May I ask why? Is it because of a roleplaying reason, or a characterization issue, or something else which escapes me?

To be honest, it escapes me as well. I *think* that was because I had troubles triggering the talk by the variables *after* Anomen was knighted. At any rate, I need to get through that whole sequence and straighten it out. It just does not sound right.

If it helps any, I don't have many Mods installed. Just Ascension, Kelsey, Kivan and Flirt Packs for Anomen. I uninstalled + reinstalled them all, three times in total: first time to remove Kivan version 7 in favour of version 8, second time because the idea that Flirt Packs should preferably be the last Mod installed completely escaped my memory during first uninstallation/reinstallation process, and last time because I installed Ascension. The saved game, however, is before Ascension's installation.

It just tends to happen when you install-reinstall a few times, particulary when you change the mods order. Basically, to reinstall correctly, you have to uninstall the mods in the reverse installation order, then delete WeiDU.log, then repalce the Override and Dialogue.tlk with the clean back-uped versions, then install the mods again. Otherwise, if you change the mods' order, and WeiDU remembers which mod went after which and other stuff, it does fry up your dialogue.tlk, leaves old strings and code pieces in, and other stuff I am not all that certain about.

Oh, and one more thing: I've never sent a saved game file before, so I am unsure which ones exactly do you need. I have created both a zip and a rar version of the saved game folder which is right before Anomen's test and in which the banter in question can be triggered via Ctrl-I (just tell me which archive format you prefer, please). And do you need it in this form or do you need just the .sav file inside? For the record, both archived folders are less than 500 KBs in size.

The whole saved folder is the best, thank you :) domi_sotto at gibberling3 dot net

To be honest, it escapes me as well. I *think* that was because I had troubles triggering the talk by the variables *after* Anomen was knighted. At any rate, I need to get through that whole sequence and straighten it out. It just does not sound right.

Thank you for explaining. :)

It just tends to happen when you install-reinstall a few times, particulary when you change the mods order. Basically, to reinstall correctly, you have to uninstall the mods in the reverse installation order, then delete WeiDU.log, then repalce the Override and Dialogue.tlk with the clean back-uped versions, then install the mods again. Otherwise, if you change the mods' order, and WeiDU remembers which mod went after which and other stuff, it does fry up your dialogue.tlk, leaves old strings and code pieces in, and other stuff I am not all that certain about.

Oh, damn, I completely forgot about that. Many thanks for reminding me, I'll uninstall/reinstall in the way you advised me to.

The whole saved folder is the best, thank you :) domi_sotto at gibberling3 dot net

Sent it, but it came back to me, so I added an "s" after gibberling. I hope it got to you. :)

Oh, damn, I completely forgot about that. Many thanks for reminding me, I'll uninstall/reinstall in the way you advised me to.

Or you could just delete mods' backup folders and dialog.tlk/override, then restore backups and install mods again - this might be a bit faster, if you have more than one mod installed.

I apologise for being such a pest, but I've encountered some issues again.

First of all, I restored my game to a clean install, following the advice given in this thread. It was easy, 'cause before I installed any Mods on my PC I backed up everything needed as that thread suggested. What happened once I was done with uninstalling/deleting extra files/copying them back from the clean backup folder/reinstalling Mods etc. was that Kivan and Kelsey got their strings messed up in my saved games, but I solved it by pressing "K" for Kelsey and telling Kivan his voice sounded strange, respectively. Since then, everything went smoothly except for last night. I'm in Chapter 6 and I got all Kivan's LT, except for the following:

~Can you hear the tune that the wind of <MONTHNAME> whistles to the dancing leaves?~ //at rest forest

~(You wake up with a strange feeling that something is wrong. ~ //at waking

~You look tired, <CHARNAME>. Rest awhile, the day ahead is likely to prove difficult.~ //At Rest

~(You wake, to your surprise, in Kivan's arms. ~ // Follow up to previous 1

~(Kivan looks at your fingers weaved together. // Follow up to previous 2

~Look at the stars, mellonamin. //Night Outside

~Careful, vanimaer! You have nearly-~ //in a dungeon or in the forest

For the first one, I was aware I had to rest in a forest, so I did, after some time. Initially, it didn't happen because an Ellessime dream intervened, but later on, when I rested in Umar Hills, I got the "Can you hear the tune" LT from Kivan. All fine, except that when party woke up, I received the "you wake up with a strange feeling that something is wrong" LT twice. I.e., the dialogue proceeded normally, only at the end, when I imagine party should have rested again, what happened was that Kivan repeated the LT, and then the party rested.

I don't know almost anything about coding, except for enough to get me through with reading what I missed in a game, but when I read Kivan's d file entitled "P#KILT" I noticed this at the end of the repeating LT:

IF ~~ KIAN1.2.1

SAY @129

IF ~~ THEN EXIT

END

In the correspondent .tra file, line 129 is this one:

@129 = ~Anomen, I have a wife I love and friends I am loyal to. This is all that you need to know.~

So, um, I was wondering if this was the problem behind the repeating dialogue? Because I can't see "KIAN1.2.1." in any other place in the "P#KILT" file, meaning that I don't see what option would lead to it. I apologise if my assumption is presumptious.

Anyway, after the repeating LT, I go to Temple Ruins and use PID with Kivan because I want to see what he says about the area, but instead of his normal PID menu, I get another LT, this one:

~You look tired, <CHARNAME>. Rest awhile, the day ahead is likely to prove difficult.~ //At Rest

Which is weird, 'cause I most certainly did not click the rest button. Even more, I did rest many times before and never got that that particular LT.

As soon as that LT is triggered and the party rests, I get another LT, probably because it's night and the party is outside:

~Look at the stars, mellonamin. //Night Outside

I'm not at all sure what happens here and would appreciate it if you could tell me whether I'm doing something wrong. I mean, why do I get the rest LT via PID, without any kind of rest button usage, and why wasn't I able to get it before, when I did rest (both at inns and outside, though not in a forest)?

Finally, the "vanimaer" LT -- I was unable to get it, in spite of the many dungeons I've visited in Chapter 6. The only way to see it is to mess with the Console while in a dungeon, set P#KivanDungeon to 1 and use PID with him. Which I only did out of curiosity, and then reloaded to a previous save without messing with the variables again. Can you tell me why it did not trigger so far, please?

Edited to add: I've just remembered something else. In some of the Kivan dialogues, I get access to lines which IMO should not be available unless my PC was a Bard. For instance, in the last Tazok discussion, one of the options to distract Kivan was a bunch of lyrics, while in the LT about the leaves and dancing (quoted above), I got one which said that the tune was hummable ("@68 = ~I think... I think I can repeat the tune... it's very... hummable... (hum quietly)~"). My PC is a sorceress, so I'm wondering whether this was intentional, considering that in the .d file, the lines I mentioned had as a condition Player 1's class to be bard (or at least that's how I understood the line in question: "IF ~Class(Player1,BARD)~ THEN REPLY @68 DO ~SetGlobal("P#KivanLoveTalk","GLOBAL",5)~ GOTO KIPC3.4").

Heya, I'll reply to the best of my ability. There is nothing you are doing wrong, but sometimes there are things that prevent talks from happening in the game. I am sure that there are rigorous techniques to push the talks more agressively, but I don't think I will be recoding the mod using them (the old dog, and all that :) ). I applogize for that, but I simply have no energy left for Kivan, and I am not one of the modders whom I respect to no end, who are capable of polishing and updating their mods again, and again, and again. It's a wonderful quality, but I, unfortunately, do not possess it. I, well, I move on.

For the particular instances you are talking about, what happens is this:

So, um, I was wondering if this was the problem behind the repeating dialogue? Because I can't see "KIAN1.2.1." in any other place in the "P#KILT" file, meaning that I don't see what option would lead to it.

No, the problem is that the global did not have time to shut itself down first time round, so the dialogue repeated. IIRC, it is a problem that surfaced with the faster machines, making the old way of coding when the variable was advanced via a script block rather than via dialogue option.

Anyway, after the repeating LT, I go to Temple Ruins and use PID with Kivan because I want to see what he says about the area, but instead of his normal PID menu, I get another LT, this one:

That happens when the triggers trigger, dialogue is all set to go, but it gets pushed by some other action - by the player (such as moving the party) or by the game itself. Then the dialogue 'caches' and can be called via PID, not unlike what happened to you when you summoned the Dungeon talk.

The only way to see it is to mess with the Console while in a dungeon, set P#KivanDungeon to 1 and use PID with him.

It has a bunch of timers amnd conditions on it which probably did not expire, and you bypassed them via setting the Global directly. Nothing wrong with that :)

Player 1's class to be bard (or at least that's how I understood the line in question: "IF ~Class(Player1,BARD)~ THEN REPLY @68 DO ~SetGlobal("P#KivanLoveTalk","GLOBAL",5)~ GOTO KIPC3.4").

That one I have *NO* idea about. As far as I know, the condition should prevent anyone but the bards from seeing it. A WeiDU Ninja is probably better suited to figure out this puzzle.

You do need to delete the Weidu.log iirc still, Kulyok. If the order of mods changes, keeping it can lead to artefacts in dialogue.tlk.

Yes, this too, certainly. I just meant that uninstalling mods isn't necessary, since you could just delete backup directories.

That one I have *NO* idea about. As far as I know, the condition should prevent anyone but the bards from seeing it. A WeiDU Ninja is probably better suited to figure out this puzzle.

... or this should be IESDP update material.

Archived