Are there any non-party member romances?

Guest om nom nom

Guest om nom nom

I was wondering if there are any of these sorts of mods.

Just like a regular romance mod, but with a non-party character. Someone CHARNAME can visit as and when s/he returns to that person's location, with the romance advancing if a given amount of time has passed.

If not, has anybody ever considered such a mod? Seems to me that a romance with somebody who's not an adventurer and has to be seperated from CHARNAME a lot of the time could be interesting.

It would also open up much more diverse characters - nobility, commoners, merchants etc...

I meant something like a 'proper' romance, as you see with the default BioWare party members.

Ribald from Romantic Encounters is just such a romance.

I was hoping to write one for a female NPC, either via RE or somewhere else; I've yet to see if it works, though.

Tried it, not really what I was looking for (though I enjoyed it).

I meant something like a 'proper' romance, as you see with the default BioWare party members.

I'm sorry it was not what you were looking for. It's true, Ribald is more similar to a normal romance than the other encounters, meaning there are "lovetalks" and there is some development over the time (if you make the right decisions), but it's nowhere near a "proper" romance (i.e. about 25 LTs or more), but very short in comparison and not as deep as you might have hoped for.

I actually thought about adding more content to it - more banters with Jaheira; new banters with Mazzy, because she knows Ribald, too, and maybe some conflict for a jealous <Charname>; more lovetalks; and a final talk with Jaheira after the actual last lovetalk with Ribald, some kind of outlook (yes, I love Jaheira) - but then I decided against it. I thought it was ok as it was and everything I tried to add made it worse somehow. I'm not sure if anyone has actually tried Ribald or if anyone who has tried him likes him, because the encounter is rather long and not as spicy, refreshing and new as the other encounters.

Edit:

I'm also not sure if RE is the right platform for a longer encounter. Not that I mind, I would love to see longer encounters added to it, but from the comments you guys posted I think people rather expect/want shorter, but sexier encounters.

I actually thought about adding more content to it - more banters with Jaheira; new banters with Mazzy, because she knows Ribald, too, and maybe some conflict for a jealous <Charname>; more lovetalks; and a final talk with Jaheira after the actual last lovetalk with Ribald, some kind of outlook (yes, I love Jaheira) - but then I decided against it. I thought it was ok as it was and everything I tried to add made it worse somehow. I'm not sure if anyone has actually tried Ribald or if anyone who has tried him likes him, because the encounter is rather long and not as spicy, refreshing and new as the other encounters.

I quite liked the Ribald romance. It was surprising and interesting. I also enjoyed Jaheira's reaction and would have liked to see another banter from her after the last lovetalk from Ribald. (I also love Jaheira. :) )

I'm also not sure if RE is the right platform for a longer encounter. Not that I mind, I would love to see longer encounters added to it, but from the comments you guys posted I think people rather expect/want shorter, but sexier encounters.

Ah, who the hell cares what people expect! It's what we want that counts. After all, we're players, too, so if longer encounters make sense to us(or just to the author of the encounter, which is all there is to it, really), it should be all right.

I think Ribald fits RE perfectly - it is a Romantic Encounter and much more, all in one.

I thought of calling RE Romantic Sequences back in the day, but the word 'sequence' gives me headache, both as a mathematician and a piano player(both lousy, by the way). It's Encounters. 'Long or short', as the mod's description says.

Thanks, ladies! :)

I didn't mean to say there should be only short encounters in RE, not at all. Most mods, be it "proper" romance mods or quest mods or whatever, have too little content for my taste, and most Romantic Encounters left me craving for more *cough*, but from the reactions of players to RE, I just gathered that the majority prefers less talk, more action. That doesn't mean the authors can't write what they want, of course. I'd be happy if you wrote an extensive stay-at-home romance or any other long encounter for RE! :)

I'm sorry it was not what you were looking for.

Please don't misunderstand - it was playing RE and wanting more of the same that got me wondering if there were any mods like this.

Taking advantage of horny merchants daughters is all very fun, but the relative absence of longer relationships (Ribald excepted) was something that I thought was a missed opportunity.

I was originally just going to ask in the RE forum, but I figured that if those sorts of long romances had been intended there would be threads about them.

It would be nice though *hint*

Taking advantage of horny merchants daughters is all very fun, but the relative absence of longer relationships (Ribald excepted) was something that I thought was a missed opportunity.

I know. I liked NWN1 romance with Aarin Gend a good deal, so I wondered if I could pull off something like that. Not with Aran or Renal, obviously, but it's a good idea for the future.

(Hint: "Are there any _more_ non-party member romances" and "I enjoyed Romantic Encounters" in the first post would've spared you: "Grr! We have Ribald!" part. :) Thank you for the feedback.)

Archived