Detectable spells (again)

DavidW

I've noticed a couple of minor changes in the latest Detectable Spells package which ships with SCSII v6 (mostly SPWISH17.SPL related stuff).

David, could you update the stand-alone package and possibly clarify the changes a bit further? Thanks in advance! :crazyeyes:

(Racks brains...)

As I recall, I haven't altered the code at all - I've just added another spell to the CDDETECT file. Does that sound right?

The idea of the coding of the new DS is that it can deal peaceably with different mods using different DS tables, at least up to a point, so I don't think this should be an issue... but sure, I can post the new version even so.

As I recall, I haven't altered the code at all - I've just added another spell to the CDDETECT file. Does that sound right?

According to Total Commander, these are the files which were changed from the last version of DS:

cddetect.2da - appended
dw#detect.2da - appended
oldds_files.2da - file removed (?)
setup-DS.tp2 - several content changes

P.S.

There's an empty text file in your DS folder called "New Text Document.txt". :crazyeyes:

According to Total Commander, these are the files which were changed from the last version of DS:

cddetect.2da - appended
dw#detect.2da - appended
oldds_files.2da - file removed (?)
setup-DS.tp2 - several content changes

P.S.

There's an empty text file in your DS folder called "New Text Document.txt". :crazyeyes:

I'm afraid the only thing I have notes about is adding detection of the Wish Improved Alacrity/Timestop to the package. If there are other things, I'm not sure what they are; possibly false positives?

I'm afraid the only thing I have notes about is adding detection of the Wish Improved Alacrity/Timestop to the package.

So, it would be enough to just put the updated cddetect.2da and dw#detect.2da into my own DS folder, right?

If there are other things, I'm not sure what they are; possibly false positives?

Just wondering, what was the purpose of the removed oldds_files.2da? Wasn't that used for updating old versions of DS or something?

I'm afraid the only thing I have notes about is adding detection of the Wish Improved Alacrity/Timestop to the package.

So, it would be enough to just put the updated cddetect.2da and dw#detect.2da into my own DS folder, right?

Right

If there are other things, I'm not sure what they are; possibly false positives?

Just wondering, what was the purpose of the removed oldds_files.2da? Wasn't that used for updating old versions of DS or something?

IIRC, I used to have one combined list of old DS files. Then I split it up so as to do Kelsey and Ascension separately (in anticipation that an updated version of one or the other might be released). I think there's now oldds_asc and oldds_kelsey or something.

A note about Time Stop: Because I feel it doesn't warrant an extra slot, I have decided to have the spell change the specifics of the character to 25 for the duration.

I see no reason to spend an extra slot - it's not like opponents will go up to you and detect if you are under a timestop - they can't.

-Galactygon

An extra line under an OR() would do the trick nicely:

Specifics(LastSeenBy(Myself)),25)

What I meant was, if the Specifics are used for something else (such as identifying who is a Cowled Wizard), it doesn't matter if the Specifics change for the duration of a timestop.

The only case I can imagine this one not working 100% perfectly, is when several creatures are pitted against each other, and at least two of them are immune to time stop, with both of them heavily relying on specifics at once. It's not like this will happen every day.

-Galactygon

I've got a question. Why does antimagic have to set the target's detectabliness to zero? Is it not going to remove it anyway?

Pass. (I didn't by and large write the code for DS, I just revamped it a bit). I'm not 100% sure how the remove-spell-defence opcodes work, and it might indeed be that we don't need this extra detail. Something to look at at some point.

Stripped Ruby Ray and Pierce Magic of their 'set Dness to 0' effects and they've brought Spell Turning down just fine, including ST's proficiency. Good news. Even better, I believe that in case of multiple active protections the 'set Dness to 0' could have actually cause a little mess, making a target to appear having no other protections left, while in truth only one would have been dispelled.

Archived