Questions

* Shadows, Shadow Fiends, Elementals, and Vampires are all susceptible to backstab. Given the usual interpretation of it (basically striking vital areas of the victim's body), and seeing that some monsters (dragons, beholders, golems) are already immune to it, shouldn't that extend to those creatures I mentioned? (I'm less sure in regards to vampires and shadow fiends, but I think a case can still be made in their case).

* When dealing with Xzar, after you return to him with the bird, Lucette kills him. However, if you speak to her shortly after she's polymorphed, she'll begin with her normal dialogue that goes after killing Xzar and then vanish, without actually killing him (he repeats the 'you're not Montaron' dialogue when talked to). As Xzar getting killed is what's intended, perhaps making this a cutscene like the one with Sanik's murder in Brynnlaw is in order?

* Shadows, Shadow Fiends, Elementals, and Vampires are all susceptible to backstab. Given the usual interpretation of it (basically striking vital areas of the victim's body), and seeing that some monsters (dragons, beholders, golems) are already immune to it, shouldn't that extend to those creatures I mentioned? (I'm less sure in regards to vampires and shadow fiends, but I think a case can still be made in their case).

Unless we can find some inclination that the developers intended this (as opposed to a justification from P&P) then probably not. The only reason why we might extend golem immunities is because those are present--but scattered--among the various golems in the game.

* When dealing with Xzar, after you return to him with the bird, Lucette kills him. However, if you speak to her shortly after she's polymorphed, she'll begin with her normal dialogue that goes after killing Xzar and then vanish, without actually killing him (he repeats the 'you're not Montaron' dialogue when talked to). As Xzar getting killed is what's intended, perhaps making this a cutscene like the one with Sanik's murder in Brynnlaw is in order?

We can probably get away with bracketing her scripted sequence with interrupts.

Unless we can find some inclination that the developers intended this (as opposed to a justification from P&P) then probably not. The only reason why we might extend golem immunities is because those are present--but scattered--among the various golems in the game.

Actually, there's little justification for that in P&P. Neither of those specifically mentions immunity to Backstab IIRC. I mentioned it because since most of the others monsters either have no vital spots or these are not accesible, I thought the same could be applied to shadows and the others. Using another example, the fact that Elementals aren't supposed to be subject to vorpal decapitation is listed as a bug, so unless there's something in their game files that I'm not aware of (which is in fact very possible), it only makes sense that they shouldn't have a vital spot which a thief could attack for multiple damage. This can be applied to the other monsters, with a varying degree of justification, IMO (I could see Vampires and Shadow Fiends being subject to vorpal attacks, but not Shadows).

The "Outstanding Bugs" thread is culled from player reports in the now-hidden Baldurdash forum over at ShS - not everything that's been listed there has passed muster.

I never saw the appropriate threads in that forum, so I apologise if I bring a point already mentioned. But seeing it in the 'Pending Fixes' section, I thought it was considered seriously enough and as such worthy of being mentioned for discussion regarding this topic.

Lucette:

// don't interrupt lucette when she's kiling xzar
COPY_EXISTING ~harpass1.bcs~ ~override~
 DECOMPILE_BCS_TO_BAF
REPLACE_TEXTUALLY ~FaceObject("Lyros")~ ~SetInterrupt(FALSE) DialogInterrupt(FALSE) FaceObject("Lyros")~
REPLACE_TEXTUALLY ~StartDialog\(ue\)?NoSet(Player1)~ ~DialogInterrupt(TRUE) SetInterrupt(TRUE) StartDialogueNoSet(Player1)~
 COMPILE_BAF_TO_BCS
 BUT_ONLY_IF_IT_CHANGES

But seeing it in the 'Pending Fixes' section, I thought it was considered seriously enough and as such worthy of being mentioned for discussion regarding this topic.
I think it's worthy enough for an OBC at least. I'd install it.

Archived