Statues in the house of Felonius Gist

berelinde

After the statues in the house of Felonius Gist are unpetrified, they all retain the name "Statue." This is annoying, as it makes it tough to identify which you're talking to.

Can we give them their proper names?

Toss me the .cre file references, and I'll code it up in the tp2.

(By the way, have you actually made fixes to your files? If you have, please send 'em my way before I start going back over the threads and checking stuff.

And b - is it you or Jastey that is supposed to send along the credits? I want to set it up and send it by CamDawg when we can).

Sure. It will have to wait until I get home from work, naturally. I'm going to try moving the passback from the end to the beginning of Brevlik's interjection, though, and test it before I send it. I have a feeling that will solve that particular problem, too.

I was going to send you teh credits. That'll have to wait until tonight, too.

Actually, I don't know if I made myself clear enough about the statues. I don't want to change the names associated with the CRE from "Statue" to "Whatever," but I do want them to have their names change after they are freed. That would probably require a change by extending the top of their scripts.

Unless it's too much work, of course. In that case, I'm not sure. That's getting into the realm of "developer intent." Maybe you're not supposed to know which is which.

Different set of developers. I meant the BG1 NPC developers. It's a bit outside the scope of the original project.

Or maybe not. There are all kinds of bugfixes in there already. It's really funny looking to see the person continue to be named as "Statue" after he's introduced himself.

That is actually one of the things I really really like about the game Temple of Elemental Evil, actually, heh. Every NPC is "Villager" or "Man" or "Woman" or whatever is only obvious from a distance until they introduce themselves, at which point their label changes to their actual name. That was really really well done.

Qwinn

Hmm. That is a decision to make. It's possible to set the name at one value, the proper name of the NPC, and the tooltip at a different value. So you could have it show "Statue" when you put the pointer over the NPC, but the name would show up in the dialogue window.

But these statues were "acquired" by a mage who may very well have known the names of his opponents, and may have put the statues on labeled plinths before selling them to an art collector. "And here, Mr. Gist, we have a work called Faizah Tin. I think it a good representation of a mage with considerable, yet sadly inadequate talent, don't you?"

OK, so I'm grasping at straws, here, but I'd kind of like to be able to identify which one is Achen Dell without having to remember that he's the one on the right end. Naturally, I started on the left.

These are the CRE references. I'll leave it to you, cmorgan, whether you want to set SAY NAME2 to ~Name~ or leave it at ~Statue~.

%tutu_var%ACHEN.cre Achen Dell

%tutu_var%CAILAN.cre Cailan

%tutu_var%FAIZAH.cre Faizah Tin

%tutu_var%RANCE.cre Rance

%tutu_var%VAIL.cre Vail

/* Berelinde's Statue Naming Fixes */
 COPY_EXISTING ~%tutu_var%achen.cre~  ~override~
SAY NAME2 ~Achen Dell~
 BUT_ONLY_IF_IT_CHANGES

COPY_EXISTING ~%tutu_var%cailan.cre~  ~override~
SAY NAME2 ~Cailan~
 BUT_ONLY_IF_IT_CHANGES

COPY_EXISTING ~%tutu_var%faizah.cre~  ~override~
SAY NAME2 ~Faizah Tin~
 BUT_ONLY_IF_IT_CHANGES

COPY_EXISTING ~%tutu_var%rance.cre~  ~override~
SAY NAME2 ~Rance~
 BUT_ONLY_IF_IT_CHANGES

COPY_EXISTING ~%tutu_var%vail.cre~  ~override~
SAY NAME2 ~Vail~
 BUT_ONLY_IF_IT_CHANGES

So let it be written, so let it be done. Just think of me as Yul Brunner (10 Commandments), with hair.

OOps. Forgot .tra.

Added to setup.tra, so:

/* berelinde's Statue Naming Fixes */
 COPY_EXISTING ~%tutu_var%achen.cre~  ~override~
SAY NAME2 @1118 // ~Achen Dell~
 BUT_ONLY_IF_IT_CHANGES

COPY_EXISTING ~%tutu_var%cailan.cre~  ~override~
SAY NAME2 @1119 // ~Cailan~
 BUT_ONLY_IF_IT_CHANGES

COPY_EXISTING ~%tutu_var%faizah.cre~  ~override~
SAY NAME2 @1120 // ~Faizah Tin~
 BUT_ONLY_IF_IT_CHANGES

COPY_EXISTING ~%tutu_var%rance.cre~  ~override~
SAY NAME2 @1121 // ~Rance~
 BUT_ONLY_IF_IT_CHANGES

COPY_EXISTING ~%tutu_var%vail.cre~  ~override~
SAY NAME2 @1122 // ~Vail~
 BUT_ONLY_IF_IT_CHANGES

On to Journal entries (as much as I can) then checking playtester threads in playtester workroom.

Archived