New Restrictions to BG1 and BG2 Items

Salk

Hello people!

I would like to get your attention and answer the question above, in case you have any advice.

Perhaps you have always thought that a specific item was unfairly usable by anyone while instead it just did fit a specific race. Or even you have felt that it should never be seen worn by a female or a male.

If you have any suggestion and can motivate it, please just do it.

In the BG1 and BG2 games, there are many item restrictions to classes but almost no restrictions to races and genders.

It would be nice to rebalance this situation introducing different restrictions to few specific items to become part of the Item Revisions mod by Demivrgvs.

I thank you all for your future contributions! :D

Well, I start by suggesting to make the Cloak of Bravery only usable by evil-aligned characters.
Done.

Cloak of Sewers usable by Paladins. :D
And done. :D I've "secretly" implemented it in IR, but for some reason I haven't posted it.
Also Ring of Human Influence usable by Barbarians, no thanks.
Well...theoretically you're right, though I'm not sure if it has to be implemented.

The Circlet of Netheril, first it's made of Bronze Ioun Stone, and which can be used by bards, but CoN(helm28) can't.

The Metaspell Influence Amulet is usable by Monks. :D

The Unholy Reaver needs to have some more allowances, and perhaps remove the fifth it already has :D , which are, 1)Chaotic 2)Evil 3)Fighter-mage-thief 4)Paladin 5)Half-orc. Human could be good option, and half-elf & elf. Nothing more is really needed. (Fallen Paladins/Elvish Chaotic Evil Fighter-mage-thiefs)

Black Razor(miscbc), Good allowance need to be removed.

The Circlet of Netheril, first it's made of Bronze Ioun Stone, and which can be used by bards, but CoN(helm28) can't.
IR's Bronze ioun Stone is not usable by Bards anymore. :p
The Metaspell Influence Amulet is usable by Monks. :D
That was clearly a bug (Amulet of Power has the same one without Fix Pack). Anyway both have correct usability flags now.
The Unholy Reaver needs to have some more allowances, and perhaps remove the fifth it already has :D , which are, 1)Chaotic 2)Evil 3)Fighter-mage-thief 4)Paladin 5)Half-orc. Human could be good option, and half-elf & elf. Nothing more is really needed. (Fallen Paladins/Elvish Chaotic Evil Fighter-mage-thiefs)
I had completely forgotten about the Unholy Reaver...
Black Razor(miscbc), Good allowance need to be removed.
The problem here is that it must be usable in order to allow a character to "fail" the test and became evil. :D
The problem here is that it must be usable in order to allow a character to "fail" the test and became evil. :D

I haven't gotten to that stage of the game in a long time, but could you modify it to give a "mini black razor"? (And no, not a short sword)

The party could receive a "dummy" sword kind of like the Human Flesh armor before you add the Silver Dragon Blood and all that to make the "real" armor. When you actually kill the guy with it (That's what you're supposed to do for the evil path, right?), have a script take the dummy sword and give them the real sword.

Roleplay wise, the character has to prove their true evil intent before they can access its true power. Or something...

Just a thought. It might be too far outside the scope of what you have planned.

For an additional item restriction, the Elven Chainmail should probably be restricted to just humans, elves and half elves.

Likewise, Crom Faeyr might be restricted from elves and half-orcs as a very dwarven weapon.

The party could receive a "dummy" sword kind of like the Human Flesh armor before you add the Silver Dragon Blood and all that to make the "real" armor. When you actually kill the guy with it (That's what you're supposed to do for the evil path, right?), have a script take the dummy sword and give them the real sword.
Yeah, it's doable but I'm not sure it's within the scope of Item Revisions.
For an additional item restriction, the Elven Chainmail should probably be restricted to just humans, elves and half elves.
I haven't thought about this sub-optimal solution and I think it's very good. I didn't suggested to restric them to elves and half elves because generally such a change isn't welcome at all...but allowing humans too seems reasonable and leaves out only a bunch of races that really shoudn't wear elven chain mail (dwarven, half orcs, halflings, gnomes).
Likewise, Crom Faeyr might be restricted from elves and half-orcs as a very dwarven weapon.
Again, I agree with you, but I can already hear complains like "no! Viconia can't use Crom Fayer anymore?! No no no!". Restricting midly and even highly enchanted items is generally doable if there's a good reason, but when you touch artifact level ones there's generally a bad response. :D

I understand that this is far outside the scope of the mod, but I always found it strange that any suit of armor could be worn by any race. I'm talking size here. I'm sorry, but a suit of human sized plate mail won't fit a halfling fighter without a trip to Cromwell, no matter how many extra holes you cut in the straps. Know what I mean?

Also, I'd like a mod that prevents short races from using pole weapons and larger launchers. I'm sorry, but a halfling really can't draw a longbow. The armspan is too short. And a <5' tall creature cannot use an 8' halberd. The balance would just not work.

I understand that this is far outside the scope of the mod, but I always found it strange that any suit of armor could be worn by any race. I'm talking size here. I'm sorry, but a suit of human sized plate mail won't fit a halfling fighter without a trip to Cromwell, no matter how many extra holes you cut in the straps. Know what I mean?
You're perfectly right (the most hilarious one is Yaga Shura's armor being wearable by an halfing! :D ), but unfortunately it's beyond my goals. :D A mod that allows Cromwell to modify every single armor in the game to fit the desired size would be a very interesting roleplaying mod, but it's a lot of work and probably most players wouldn't bother themselves with a mod that forces several trips to Cromwell.
Also, I'd like a mod that prevents short races from using pole weapons and larger launchers. I'm sorry, but a halfling really can't draw a longbow. The armspan is too short. And a <5' tall creature cannot use an 8' halberd. The balance would just not work.
Yeah, I have to do this one! Nice suggestion, thanks. :p

I am really glad to see many interesting suggestions.

Berelind is very right expressing her concerns about equipment that should not fit some races. A mod that would take care of this would be installed by me even if it ends up with penalizing (like for all restrictions) the gameplay. But I prefer a game where things around me make sense (in the limits of a balanced gameplay of course).

BigRob is also right about Crom Faeyr but I guess it might really lead to infinite protests. This does not stop any of us to set our own restrictions though it'd be so much better to find them already as part of Item Revisions.

Echon introduced in his revolutionary Fields of the Dead many exceptional ideas: one of them was to create set of armours that fit different races (IIRC it's actually two: medium or small) by making them available at different stores. The magical/unique armours found on enemies would be offering the enemy's size of course while for those you can buy or forge I guess things would become more complicated.

Archived