Viconia vs Shar-Teel

Domi

whicjh lady would you pick?  

22 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Well, Viconia always outvoted Shar in the previous polls, but if you take into account Dan's guideline of Viconia for BG1 not being spiritually redeeming (like Viconia's BG2 was) but rather a De'Vir always pays her debts and would get what she needs by any means she can... would Shar's be still less interesting option for you?

Is this regarding a possible romance with one of the two ladies for this mod? Or just... a simple poll without any deeper meaning? :groucho:

Anyways, I chose "neither". I am not quite sure if I agree with the huge amount of planned romances for the mod... it's coming close to the point where most characters will be romanceable. While I would not mind to have an evil romance option for both male and female PC (currently the good and neutral NPC's dominate by large), I think there should be a point where you just have to draw the line and say "no more" to the romances.

Guest Guest

If anything, Shar-Teel, it's like romancing a tall, beardless, female Korgan, and with shorter temper... actually I dunno about the shorter temper... Korgan DID kill a load of his ex-party members for being annoying... infact, she's nothing like Korgan, lol.

But, yeah, Shar-Teel all the way.

Is this regarding a possible romance with one of the two ladies for this mod? Or just... a simple poll without any deeper meaning? :groucho:

Anyways, I chose "neither". I am not quite sure if I agree with the huge amount of planned romances for the mod... it's coming close to the point where most characters will be romanceable. While I would not mind to have an evil romance option for both male and female PC (currently the good and neutral NPC's dominate by large), I think there should be a point where you just have to draw the line and say "no more" to the romances.

Well, I do not think that more romances is a bad thing, especially since they are an optional install. To me the main point so they will be all different and addressed a different player needs. Also, keep in mind that planned romance is not a developped romance. Some of "planned" ones might not be realized.

Does this poll have deeper meaning? I do not know yet. It takes a lot of time to gather people's opinions and even longer to find a writer. We do lack an evil option for a male PC, and I am trying to see which one is the preference.

Currently female options are well covered:

Pure good: Ajantis

between good and neutral: Coran

Evil: Xzar

Possible: neutral - Xan, evil - Eldoth

so yes - pretty much no real need for more romances there.

male's are worse off:

Pure good: Dynaheir

between good and neutral: Branwen, Imoen

and evil? no real luck.

Guest Abelmir

Taking into consideration that there is an official Viconia-romance in Baldur's Gate 2, in which the dialogue never implies any former romantical relationship between her and PLAYCHAR, such romance would not fit well into the overall storyline. For continuity's sake I strongly vote for Shar-Teel.

I say Shar-Teel from a freedom point of view. Viconia should still be the same Drow you meet in BG2, albeit less experienced with life on the surface. As a writer, I would feel more comfortable working with Shar-Teel; she won't be back (except as part of a mod), and you can do what you like with her. Not that I will be writing, but still . . .

Also, I see no reason for love to "redeem" anybody.

male's are worse off:

Pure good: Dynaheir

between good and neutral: Branwen, Imoen

and evil? no real luck.

Yes, I also noticed that. However, if we're looking for a good candidate for an evil male PC to romance, I would pick neither Shar, nor Viconia. I would go for Safana (yes, I realize what her Czarina says about that). To me, while she is supposedly neutral, I think she has definite leanings towards evil. She would make a great evil romance, plus she does have better looks than Shar. Ughh.

Yet it often does that. Not always, and it's definitely not a 100% safe cure, absolutely not. In some cases, love, passion, are what makes a person to step on the dark path instead.

I like the idea of love as a catalyst for redemption and I think it is very credible in itself, but I would also admit that it is often overused and over-simplified.

Guest Guest

Well, Theodur, if you don't like the portrait for Shar-Teel from BG1, you could always nick the one they are using for the Shar-Teel mod for BG2, it's better looking and has a bit of a Xena quality to it.

Yet it often does that. Not always, and it's definitely not a 100% safe cure, absolutely not. In some cases, love, passion, are what makes a person to step on the dark path instead.

In fiction, yes. :groucho:

In the real world, no. Do some reading on the experience of those in abusive relationships, and those married to alcoholics and victims of addiction. Recovery, when it does occur, requires an internal locus of control. The support of loved ones tends to have a neutral or negative effect on the recovery process, despite the natural wish to believe that this were otherwise.

I see a romance with Shar-Teel as involving lots of initial violence (physical and emotional), followed by some tenderness and physical intimacy, and then followed by even more violence. There is no redemption for that character to be found in love.

Of course, it is a fiction-based game, so if people want the classic redemption storyline then go for it. ???

Yes, I also noticed that. However, if we're looking for a good candidate for an evil male PC to romance, I would pick neither Shar, nor Viconia. I would go for Safana (yes, I realize what her Czarina says about that). To me, while she is supposedly neutral, I think she has definite leanings towards evil. She would make a great evil romance, plus she does have better looks than Shar. Ughh.

I am afraid that Kiki's position on Safana's romance is exactly opposite to yours, Theodur. She thinks that the only possibility for romance comes through Safana's quest, which makes her a deper character (and my impression was that a "goodier" one as well); I also doubt that Kiki views Safana as at all evil - at least seeing her writing for Safana - mercenary - yes, non-commital and selfish, but not evil.

Niether. You'd be restricted too much with Viconia, & I can't see Shar shacking up with a male PC either.

Female PC however...

Both Shar-Teel's Czars agreed that it won't be a good idea to have Shar-Teel as a lesbian, because it would be extremely (and badly) cliche. Shar-Teel in her currnt set of dialogues will make a pass at the evil male PC and will spend a night with him already (Kish' texts).

Archived