Spells: PnP Tables

Salk

I agree with Miloch. Generally I prefer to install as few mods as possible, and that's the reason I try to add as much features as I can in my works, but in this case I don't think it would be a good solution. Most players (including me) would still use Tweak Pack anyway with SR, reducing the advantages of having such component within SR to pratically none imo.

I agree with Miloch. Generally I prefer to install as few mods as possible, and that's the reason I try to add as much features as I can in my works, but in this case I don't think it would be a good solution. Most players (including me) would still use Tweak Pack anyway with SR, reducing the advantages of having such component within SR to pratically none imo.

I think there's also a case to be made for avoiding redundancy. If there's a fully functional component of mod A that does X, creating a component of mod B that also does X is going to make life more complicated for compatibility.

I think there's also a case to be made for avoiding redundancy. If there's a fully functional component of mod A that does X, creating a component of mod B that also does X is going to make life more complicated for compatibility.
I don't completely agree. Including all possible tweaks in Tweak Pack would mean a lot of "redundancy" considering how many fully functional tweaks mods exist, but I still would prefer it without doubts.

I do like SCS also because it covers all aspects of "improved AI", so that I don't have to worry about all others AI enhancing mods like Tactics, Improved Battles, ... (wasn't Tactic's Improved Bodhi fully functional?). Thus for example I would welcome a merging of Slightly Improved Iliych within SCS.

What I wouldn't like is what unfortunately Improved Anvil does, "including" too many things and pratically becoming incompatible with everything else, but a mod that fully covers one aspect of the game is better than many mods that altogether do the same thing imo.

I don't completely agree. Including all possible tweaks in Tweak Pack would mean a lot of "redundancy" considering how many fully functional tweaks mods exist, but I still would prefer it without doubts.

Sure: it was an "other things being equal" point. There was a bewildering landscape of tweak mods out there, and some level of consolidation was sensible; that one is an example where compatibility is doubtless improved on, in fact.

I do like SCS also because it covers all aspects of "improved AI", so that I don't have to worry about all others AI enhancing mods like Tactics, Improved Battles, ... (wasn't Tactic's Improved Bodhi fully functional?).

Good case in point. SCS Bodhi is closely based on Tactics Bodhi but differs in quite a lot of small ways: the script is rewritten from the ground up, for instance, and the coding is much more modern and compatibility friendly (Tactics is about six(?) years old, after all). The reason I included it was that I'm enough of a fan of Tactics Bodhi that I couldn't think of a way to write my own Bodhi that was any better, but I still wanted something more integrated into SCS.

Thus for example I would welcome a merging of Slightly Improved Iliych within SCS.

I'm not that familiar with SII. One of these days I'll either (a) write my own improved version; (b) ask permission to write my version heavily based on SII, or © decide SII is fine as it stands. What I don't see as worthwhile is just dumping the code for SII wholesale into SCS.

What I wouldn't like is what unfortunately Improved Anvil does, "including" too many things and pratically becoming incompatible with everything else, but a mod that fully covers one aspect of the game is better than many mods that altogether do the same thing imo.

I'd be interested in hearing the reasons. In the particular case you give, I can actually think of some quite good reasons: writing modern AI is a pretty interconnected business. (Standardising Detectable Spells helps a bit). At the other extreme (sorry to pick on you, Salk!) I can't see any good reasons to take the chunk of Tweak Pack that changes the spell tables and incorporate it into SR.

Let me put it this way. If there are two mods (Tweak Pack and SCS2, say) that are fairly large, fairly well-advertised, and fairly well-maintained, I don't see much gain in mirroring part of one mod in another. Outright mergers are a different matter; there I think there's a trade-off. On the one hand, it's easier to manage compatibility problems in one package, and there's a (slight) convenience advantage for the end user. On the other hand, it can make maintenance a lot more cumbersome (this is a major reason why I keep SCS and SCS2 separate) and can leave end users with unnecessary cruft.

Including all possible tweaks in Tweak Pack would mean a lot of "redundancy" considering how many fully functional tweaks mods exist, but I still would prefer it without doubts.
I have agreed with this in the past too, but there are other reasons against such consolidation (and let's face it, Tweaks is a rather monstrously large mod as it is).
I do know that I often come with silly suggestions (sometimes I even have good ones). It's because I am an enthusiast... :fish:

Salk, I've never known any of your suggestions to be silly. You simply do what our teachers preached to us all for years: Ask a question! Don't feel that it is foolish - many of your classmates have the same questions but are too shy/fearful to ask.

Archived