Bertram is cheating

PetrusOctavianus

Bertram, being the big bad wolf among the thugs in the house in Beregost is able to cast several spells in one round. Fair enough at the start of combat, to represent pre-buffing, but not in the middle of combat.

His script is long enough to give me a head-ache, but I see lots of ForceSpell commands.

And how come Bertram can cast Animate Dead successfully when there are no dead bodies in the room?

Sorry, but I just hate "cheating" and different rules for PCs and NPCs...

Bertram, being the big bad wolf among the thugs in the house in Beregost is able to cast several spells in one round. Fair enough at the start of combat, to represent pre-buffing, but not in the middle of combat.

His script is long enough to give me a head-ache, but I see lots of ForceSpell commands.

And how come Bertram can cast Animate Dead successfully when there are no dead bodies in the room?

Bertram's script is based on one of the ones in SCS, iirc. I don't know what modifications Berelinde's made (she has carte blanche to do what she likes with it), but if she hasn't modified it much then he shouldn't be casting more than once per round.

If you're spotting ForceSpells, which ones? There should be lots, but they should basically all be prep spells.

Animate Dead doesn't require dead bodies in BG, for players or for enemies.

Heh. I don't know enough about AI scripting to have changed much. All I did, pretty much, was take out the blocks that applied to levels other than Bertram's and rename the variables, I think. I also substituted a few spells to better suit his spellbook, as a cleric of Velsharoon, and took away access to potions.

I'm pretty sure he isn't casting more than once per round, apart from initial buffs and initial summons, like SCS. I'll check it out, though.

Thanks for the report. Unfortunately, RL obligations are preventing me from doing more than stealing peeks at the forums when I'm supposed to be working, so it might take a few days to give you a definitive answer.

Heh. I don't know enough about AI scripting to have changed much. All I did, pretty much, was take out the blocks that applied to levels other than Bertram's and rename the variables, I think. I also substituted a few spells to better suit his spellbook, as a cleric of Velsharoon, and took away access to potions.

I'm pretty sure he isn't casting more than once per round, apart from initial buffs and initial summons, like SCS. I'll check it out, though.

Thanks for the report. Unfortunately, RL obligations are preventing me from doing more than stealing peeks at the forums when I'm supposed to be working, so it might take a few days to give you a definitive answer.

The script is so long and complicated for me to find the mid-batte buffs there, but I noticed that other characters, like Mulahey, re-cast their buffs if rendered unconscious (from Command spell) in the first round. So it's possible that is what happened to Bertram.

Another weird thing is that the gang was not in the house the first time we entered, before talking to Gavin. After talking to Gavin and turning him down we decided to go back to try to open a couple of chests since Imoen had increased her lock picking skill. Now the gang and their mistress were in the house.

Every enemy mage in an IE game cheats with illegal spellcasting. So this just increases Gavin's immersion factor. Well done, Berelinde! :D:)

(It just dawned on me that this could be read as intentionally cruel or mocking when it's not meant that way at all. I really enjoyed Gavin and think you did a great job.)

Guest berelinde_as_guest
Another weird thing is that the gang was not in the house the first time we entered, before talking to Gavin. After talking to Gavin and turning him down we decided to go back to try to open a couple of chests since Imoen had increased her lock picking skill. Now the gang and their mistress were in the house.

That's right. If you have not yet been to the Beregost Temple area, the gang won't be in the house. That's because I have no way of knowing whether a player is using Tutu v4 or EasyTutu or BGT. EasyTutu and BGT assign area scripts to building interiors, but Tutu v4 does not. So I can't spawn the creatures directly inside the building. I need to spawn them outside and move them. But the encounter takes place in Beregost, which, as everyone knows, has way too much script-wise going on for me to want to add anything to it. So, since I can't spawn them in the building and I can't spawn them in Beregost, I spawn them in the Beregost Temple. You know that slight pause you got when you entered the area for the first time? That was the creatures spawning.

Short version: Everything is working.

Guest berelinde_as_guest

That's right. If you have not yet been to the Beregost Temple area, the gang won't be in the house. That's because I have no way of knowing whether a player is using Tutu v4 or EasyTutu or BGT. EasyTutu and BGT assign area scripts to building interiors, but Tutu v4 does not. So I can't spawn the creatures directly inside the building. I need to spawn them outside and move them. But the encounter takes place in Beregost, which, as everyone knows, has way too much script-wise going on for me to want to add anything to it. So, since I can't spawn them in the building and I can't spawn them in Beregost, I spawn them in the Beregost Temple. You know that slight pause you got when you entered the area for the first time? That was the creatures spawning.

Short version: Everything is working.

Every enemy mage in an IE game cheats with illegal spellcasting. So this just increases Gavin's immersion factor. Well done, Berelinde! :):D

I hope mine don't, actually (if you don't count pre-battle buffing). I'm waiting for more details on what Bertram actually does.

That's right. If you have not yet been to the Beregost Temple area, the gang won't be in the house. That's because I have no way of knowing whether a player is using Tutu v4 or EasyTutu or BGT. EasyTutu and BGT assign area scripts to building interiors, but Tutu v4 does not.

Can't you just add an area script in the TP2?

/* Tutu Area Script Assignment Patching: All Areas Script ID'd */

ACTION_IF FILE_EXISTS_IN_GAME ~FW0100.are~ THEN BEGIN

INCLUDE ~BG1NPC\LIB\tutu_area_script_assign.tph~

END

if you want it, b - or just snag Ascension64's UB stuff. He does an "on the fly" code that only hits exactly what you want, if you don't want to just patch all of Tutu v4 vanilla areas to have their scripts assigned :)

Oh, I know how to do it already, if I wanted to do it that way. The thing is, I don't want to. The way I have it now ensures the most compatibility. Granted, BG1 isn't the modding playground that BG2 is, but I'd like to avoid problems like the Crooked Crane. You know, mod A changes it one way, mod B changes it a different way, and poof! Mod A and mod B are incompatible. Finch does the same thing, more or less, but Bons spawns Finch in Beregost itself.

Thanks, though!

Archived