Can you check the revised belt of trollish fortitude

lac

When I equip it on characters with highish constitutions, it keeps their current hp the same, but raises the total.

All well and good. But when Aerie (con 9) or Xan (con 7) try it on, they just lose 16 hp. Which just killed Xan,

by the way. :-(

Thanks very much,

Laura

I'll look into it as soon as I get back to Italy. The former "issue" is intentional, else you would be able to use the belt to cure the wearer just re-equipping it multiple times. The latter issue its probably caused by that very thing, I'll try to find a way to make it works in a smoother way.

I'll look into it as soon as I get back to Italy. The former "issue" is intentional, else you would be able to use the belt to cure the wearer just re-equipping it multiple times. The latter issue its probably caused by that very thing, I'll try to find a way to make it works in a smoother way.

I just checked this out... raising someone's constitution to a level where they'd receive extra HP as a result will cause them to gain that much current HP as well as increase their maximum HP. Lowering someone's constitution to a level where they'd receive less HP than their previous score provides will lower only their maximum HP and not their current HP. This can't be countered with a HP decrement, as there is no guarantee the increased constitution they'd receive would give them increased HP.

Perhaps the belt should be changed to give a straight HP increase.

I don't understand. Since you know the current con of any belt-wearer, you know what he had

before he put on a belt. So you know whether this belt should give him extra hp while wearing it,

something you had to calculate when he put it on. Same test -- if you didn't give him any when

he put it on, you shouldn't take away any when he takes it off. Similarly, if you did give him some,

then whatever you calculated should be exactly what you take off.

Am I missing something here?

Since you know the current con of any belt-wearer, you know what he had before he put on a belt.

I don't believe we do. We're not using scripts for any of this stuff, and I don't think this can be determined outside of that. Anyone know otherwise?

As pointed out by Jarno replacing a CON bonus with HP bonus isn't the same, and not only from a roleplaying point of view:

- above CON 19 characters gain a slightly regeneration rate

- not all classes can benefit from CON > 16

- characters with low CON benefit less from the a constituion increase than a HP increase

I'm not saying that a CON bonus is better than a HP one, but they are quite different imo.

Until I discover a smoother way to implement it, I think the current status isn't so bad. Just like barbarians lose hit points when the CON bonuses from rage expire, if you remove the belt from a character you are effectively stripping him/her away of her constitution, "hurting" him/her in the process.

Until I discover a smoother way to implement it, I think the current status isn't so bad. Just like barbarians lose hit points when the CON bonuses from rage expire, if you remove the belt from a character you are effectively stripping him/her away of her constitution, "hurting" him/her in the process.

Except that is not what is happening. It's not taking off the belt that is nailing the low constitution chars for a 16 pt

penalty, but putting it on that is doing so. Taking off the belt does nothing.

It's not taking off the belt that is nailing the low constitution chars for a 16 pt penalty, but putting it on that is doing so. Taking off the belt does nothing.
Sorry you're right. I haven't slept till saturday night and it seems I should really get some sleep. I'll think about it...suggestions are welcome.

I still think a fixed HP bonus is a good idea and mostly, it would not come with annoying bugs.

It's enough to grant also a small regeneration bonus and all are happy.

One advantage of this is that even non fighter classes might benefit of this item.

There are more problems with the belt.

I currently have it on Valgyar, who as a level 11 stalker normally has 114 hp, but has 132 max

when equipping the belt. You put it on and heal him up to 132 points. Then you save the

game. When you reload it, he only has 114 points and you have to heal him up again.

If he had fewer than 16 pts when you saved, it does not kill him, though. I just checked.

Archived