Masterwork Weapons

Shaitan

Hi!

Does anybody know how this part will work with the same from SCSII (are they excatly the same or do they differ somehow)?

Cheers

I wouldn't recommend using them together - they are trying to do a similar thing, but they differ slightly, so just take whichever you like best.

The version from SCS affects a slightly different set of weapons than IR's version, and it names and describes the weapons differently. I'd probably recommend the version from SCS simply because this is not one of my favourite components to maintain. If I were going to update it, I'd want to give it a big overhaul (+0, Masterwork, and +1 weapons co-existing in the world).

So what is the plan for masterwork weapons with IR V3 ?

+1 damage and +1 thac0, price?

Does make all + 1 magical weapons into masterwork means no more +1 plain magical weapons ?

What is the plan for BG1. Masterwork will be affected by Iron plague? (maybe allow player to decide with a component like SCS's one ?)

So what is the plan for masterwork weapons with IR V3 ?

+1 damage and +1 thac0, price?

Masterwork weapons have not +1 dmg as per PnP, and they cost half as much as +1 weapons.

Does make all + 1 magical weapons into masterwork means no more +1 plain magical weapons ?
Yes, that's probably why Mike doesn't like this component much. Making masterwork and +1 items co-exist would indeed be a great solution, but imo not feasible, because we'd need tons of unique bams for them.

My alternative solution back then was to turn +2 weapons into +1 ones, and +3 ones (which really shouldn't exist in the form of common items) into +2 ones. I think David had a similar idea even before me, but ended up discarding it because he felt it nerfed the AI too much.

Within V3 there might be another solution actually, ignore masterwork weapon component. :beer: Jokes aside, the main reason such component was created is that in a vanilla game magical weapons were pretty much everywhere, but this aspect may now be handled within Ardanis's huge re-allocating component.

It may be possible that Masterwork Weapons component was also used by SCS to make Protection from Normal Weapons, but I don't want to speak on David's behalf.

What is the plan for BG1. Masterwork will be affected by Iron plague? (maybe allow player to decide with a component like SCS's one ?)
I don't know...I think they shouldn't be affected by it, else they wouldn't be considered a masterwork items.
Thanks for reply.

About ignore masterwork component : I think a large amount of ennemies use +1 plain magical weapons in BG2 and TOB so I would go for an masterwork weapons installation

Agree

Well, by "ignore" I meant "leave it untouched" because we don't have a better way to implement it, or the time to do that. Players are still free to play as they wish (I'm not sure myself if it's better to use it or not), just like I allow them to do things I really wouldn't want to let them do: play without armor DEX penalties. :beer:

That being said, are you sure ToB enemies use +1 weapons? I actually thought they use +2 and +3 ones (I'll check it), and that the main issue with turning +2 weapons into +1 was that charname is immune to +1 weapons in ToB.

That being said, are you sure ToB enemies use +1 weapons? I actually thought they use +2 and +3 ones (I'll check it), and that the main issue with turning +2 weapons into +1 was that charname is immune to +1 weapons in ToB.

Would that be so bad? The immunity is only for taking the good choice on the Fear Tear, getting a little use out of it wouldn't be a given. And after all it is only immunity for one character, and only against some melee enemies.

Would that be so bad? The immunity is only for taking the good choice on the Fear Tear, getting a little use out of it wouldn't be a given. And after all it is only immunity for one character, and only against some melee enemies.

I think it would be good, myself. In all my playthroughs through ToB (quite a few by now), I can't recall a single instance where that immunity to +1 weapons was actually useful.

If I am not wrong some ennemy in TOB use +1 weapons (Guards in Saradush) but yes most got +2 or +3.

Mercenaries in Amkethran also get +1 weapons. (and a +3 chain mail)

Soldiers of Yagashura army get normal weapons.

And I also find that immunity to normal or +1 weapons is not really usefull . The real threat in TOB rarely come from humanoid ennemy. Maybe it's more usefull if main character is a Tank maybe.

I think it would be good, myself. In all my playthroughs through ToB (quite a few by now), I can't recall a single instance where that immunity to +1 weapons was actually useful.
Well I'm not against it being useful, I was only worried about it being too useful in case +2 weapons are turned into +1. Anyway, unless Mike is really into it I suppose there will be no change for V3, which may be good because before deciding I'd really like to see if Ardanis work can somewhat make masterwork weapons "redundant".
Well I'm not against it being useful, I was only worried about it being too useful in case +2 weapons are turned into +1. Anyway, unless Mike is really into it I suppose there will be no change for V3, which may be good because before deciding I'd really like to see if Ardanis work can somewhat make masterwork weapons "redundant".
So basically, you want about half the enemy opponents to be re-equipped? I'll try to wrap my mind around then.
So basically, you want about half the enemy opponents to be re-equipped? I'll try to wrap my mind around then.

No, actually I was just saying I'd like to see if the revised stores are enough to lessen the "magic weapons are everywhere" feel.

Archived