Detectable spells versions?

Jarno Mikkola

So as I see others WeiDU.logs a lot in their BWP Installs, I notice that...

~SETUP-SCS.TP2~ #0 #10 // Detectable Spells: v10

~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #1000 // Detectable spells and effects (required for most other components): v8

So, I have to ask, which of them is the newer one? :)

As I assume the component needs to be installed just once, and it should be the newer one always. ->So perhaps the component should actually say the Detectable Spells version number, so they can be compared, not the mod version number that it's attached to. As in this case the SCS was v10, and SCSII was v8, and that's what the components had their end... this is still important even when the RR(if I remember it correctly) doesn't carry that component anymore.

Well, VERSION ~v#~ is a tp2 level function that flags all components in the mod with the version number of the overall mod - it means several good things for modders (like being able to tell at a glance that someone is using v7 when they should be upgrading to v9, or identifying in that particular version what is going wrong because it was fixed in the next version so they can go back and fnd out what they did to fix it, not to mention not needing to worry about IF_EVAL difficulties, not having to go edit .tra references about version #, etc.). So that :v8 is set up for identifying the version number for an entire mod as a whole, not the component parts.

In this case, I guess the best thing you could do is identify the date of the Detectable Spells version in the .tra.

this is still important even when the RR(if I remember it correctly) doesn't carry that component anymore.

Actually, it does, but I don't have a separate component for Detectable Spells as they are integrated into various parts of Rogue Rebalancing and installed as needed.

For reference, the RR version of DS is identical to the core DS package which ships with SCSII. However, it should be noted that SCSII has some other DS related stuff which doesn't belong into the core package (i.e. item enchantment marking).

Yeah, DS isn't a user-level component which users can choose; it's a big macro which modders can call from appropriate places in their mods. SCS calls it from its "detectable spells" component (but, as Avenger_RR notes, it's not the only thing in that component); RR calls it from its new-encounter components.

On the plus side, users don't need to worry about this. DS (at least, the one which I modified from the Cam/Nythrun/TheBigg/somebody_I've_forgotten version) is compatible with itself in a pretty friendly way, so multiple versions can be installed harmlessly. (That's precisely so that modders can call it without worrying about other mods.)

Archived