Familiars (Workroom)

Demivrgvs

Just wanted to say that yes, the current familiars are very overpowered within BG1. I made them ages ago (something like 5-6 years ago) when SR was not compatible with BG1, and in general they were never supposed to exist within BG1. There's a huge work in progress to remake them, but don't hold your breath, because it's not at the top of my priority list and I have very little time to mod since I started a new work few months ago. :(

Till then, I can only suggest to not use them within BG1 if you want to be "fair". :D

Is there any possibility to make a type of summoned creature depend on the location where you cast the spell? I believe that BG locations have markers at least for 'cities' (for resting and all), and if random encounters weren't written manually, there's much more than that (i.e. you usually encounter ogres in the mountains, spiders in Cloakwood etc).

It could be cat/rat for cities, rat/duergar imp for dungeons, pseudodragon/ferret for woods etc.

The point is, this would make a description more accurate (there might be even need to add 10% failure since it states that sometimes no creature responds) and add more flexibility/nonlinearity to mages, not to mention that for now finding a scroll equals finding familiar forevermore.

First of all, I apologise if this has been addressed already.

I was looking at the latest SR patch notes where it says certain familiars (rabbit/cat/ferret) can now disarm traps? At the moment, I have only used the rabbit and have found that although he/she can still detect traps, the option to disarm them is not highlighted. Is this supposed to happen or am I doing something wrong?

I'm not sure if it had been mentioned or not, but would it be at all possible to have permanent Animal Companions for Druids & Rangers? I think that would be an excellent addition to that class. Maybe flying creatures, or a panther that can level up on it own or something like that. Like an innate ability of the class to summon and dispel that companion whenever necessary.

I'm not sure if it had been mentioned or not, but would it be at all possible to have permanent Animal Companions for Druids & Rangers? I think that would be an excellent addition to that class. Maybe flying creatures, or a panther that can level up on it own or something like that. Like an innate ability of the class to summon and dispel that companion whenever necessary.
Sorry for taking so long to reply, I had very few time to check the forums lately. Anyway, animals companions are indeed on my to do list for Kit Revisions, but when it comes to Rangers I'm planning it only for the Beast Master.

Archived