Familiars (Workroom)

Demivrgvs

Out of curiousity (why the heck one would made CTDing mod) I've killed a guy with that. There was no crash, imagine that.

I believe it's an animation issue, wherein there's no animation available for certain creatures killed by magic fire, so the game CTDs when it tries to fetch it. I vaguely recall skeletons being one of the creatures lacking the animation... though as always I'm just speculating wildly.

On the subject of the Faerie Dragon, are we looking at spells or innates?
Innates, itt's better o use one or another, not both, but they both work the same way, but as you don't have a familiar spell book, it's better to just use the innate spells.

And the magic fire damage type. You know, in my recent play (which still awaits to be resumed) I've run into a mod made thing that dealt said magic fire (could be cold as well, but I think that was fire). Out of curiousity (why the heck one would made CTDing mod) I've killed a guy with that. There was no crash, imagine that.
I know the mod... just don't remember it. If I remember correctly the mod actually patched the Magic Fire and Ice damage kill animations so they didn't crash the game to desktop anymore. (Was it 'The Fields of the Dead' mod?)
If I remember correctly the mod actually patched the Magic Fire and Ice damage kill animations so they didn't crash the game to desktop anymore. (Was it 'The Fields of the Dead' mod?)

I don't know what mod you're remembering... But I know that SpellPackB5 does this.

May I suggest to not post entire pages of off-topic material? :p

Regarding the Faeri Dragon, I've slightly corrected it (Salk was right about INT), and I do think we should opt for innates instead of actual classes.

Sorry if I have almost no time to mod these days...I'll be back! :p

Well, now six months have passed since the latest discussion done on this subject and with v3 now really at the door, I think we should be back to focus on the Find Familiar spell.

Taking a look at the opening topic I do realize that it is for me unconceivable to have Familiars not grant extra Hit Points to the caster.

How many of you do feel the same about it?

If we are the majority, I am quite sure Demi will take this into consideration as he has always done so far.

Also, I see that only the Good familiars have a more or less defined table yet thus we are pretty much behind.

So... where were we? :party:

I'm neutral about the extra HP to the caster, it doesn't really matters to me - without it, anyway, the familiar should be interesting enough to keep the spell up anyway. I really hate the con malus on familiar death tho.

Instead, I'd like the option to choose the familiar, maybe by making the spell start a dialog, listing all possible choices.

Whether there is an hp bonus sounds equally fine to me :party: . Furthermore, mage being able to dismiss and re-summon a different familiar in a another few days would add spice to both adventure and tactics.

About wing buffet:

Imo a dragon can buffet, because while doing so its enormous weight and strong claws pin its body onto the ground so that the dragon itself won't move, instead the air will.

Now think about pseudodragon: the strength of buffet wind is determined by the strength of wings and claws. Without steadily standing on the ground, the buffet would actually blow itself away, thus I don't think "a small knockback effect on a single target" fits the actual situation.

So far the majority is neutral about the extra HP to the caster and contrary to the Con penalty at the death of the Familiar.
We already discussed the "extra hit points" feature here, and I'm really against it.

The "permanent CON penalty" feature is simply annoying imo, I agree with most players here. At the same time though I think a penalty to those who decide to use their familiars as cannon fodder is appropriate, but I'd simply go with a "x points of damage to the caster" when a familiar dies. Within SR/KR I think I'll let the caster summon a familiar once/day.

Furthermore, mage being able to dismiss and re-summon a different familiar in a another few days would add spice to both adventure and tactics.
I still haven't decided how this should work, though being able to summon different familiars seems a little too convenient to me.

About wing buffet:

Imo a dragon can buffet, because while doing so its enormous weight and strong claws pin its body onto the ground so that the dragon itself won't move, instead the air will.

Now think about pseudodragon: the strength of buffet wind is determined by the strength of wings and claws. Without steadily standing on the ground, the buffet would actually blow itself away, thus I don't think "a small knockback effect on a single target" fits the actual situation.

I agree with you.

P.S I've a small but noticeable change in mind but I don't know if it belongs to SR: removing Find Familiar from wizard/sorcerer spell selection screen and removing FF's scrolls from game, while making it an innate ability available at 1st level. This is surely how I'll handle druid's animal companions within KR, and I won't give familiars to bards.

We already discussed the "extra hit points" feature here, and I'm really against it.
If it wasn't clear yet, so am I, against it.

The "permanent CON penalty" feature is simply annoying imo, I agree with most players here. At the same time though I think a penalty to those who decide to use their familiars as cannon fodder is appropriate, but I'd simply go with a "x points of damage to the caster" when a familiar dies. Within SR/KR I think I'll let the caster summon a familiar once/day.

...This is surely how I'll handle druid's animal companions within KR, and I won't give familiars to bards.

Well, as it's not permanent Constitution penalty, but more like temporary state as it can be cured(with restoration spells)... but, I have no doubt that the Current hit point penalty would be much worse for me, I do not object it. As long as it has some limitations(5 or 10 hit points max), and no I do not wish it to increase in levels as that absurd.

Shall the Rangers have pets too, eventually? In higher levels... and the kits could also have different possibilities. Yes, they need few, and like demons more is always better!

Archived