BG2 on Ubuntu and ipod Touch

Guest Goddard

Guest Goddard

I am running ubuntu and I want to get BG2 working so I can play online....I was also wondering if anyone got BG2 working on the ipod Touch

I beg for PSP homebrew version. Got 333Mhz processor, 32mb RAM (I'm not sure, but I think yes - talking about PSP 1000 FAT) and flash storage cards up to 16GB. This could be priceless, because Final Fantasy games are fine but... there's nothing other like Infinity. :(

According to Wikipedia, the Touch and the N800 are pretty comparable... At least until you get to screen size. The N800 has a maximum resolution of 800x480, while the Touch has a max of 480x320. Can GemRB run at that resolution?

Someone would have to write a new GUI, probably - the normal game GUIs don't go any smaller than 640x480. It's the same problem for other smartphones.. this is all moddable via scripting and CHU files, though, so I think it's possible.

Edit: Indeed, if you try running BG2 under GemRB at 480x320, it errors out at the first window with the error that the CHU file requires 640x480 resolution. We could try adding some kind of zooming hack, but that would need someone to code it. :(

Unfortunately, I think the PSP would be too much of a challenge. GemRB needs a lot more RAM (even 64MB is probably not enough), the resolution problem is even worse and you have input to worry about too.

That's sad - but I remember to play on config like this in original BG2... but kheh, GemRB isn't normal BG2. :( Also there was Baldur's Gate for PSX, but ended its live at beta stage - PSP don't have any troubles at launching games from PS1. So I've thought that there's chance. Sad :D

256M would be enough for sure.

And you are right, gemrb will surely need more memory. It is an 5 in 1 game engine :(

Maybe it could be stripped down (no music, no movies and removing other rarely used features), but 32M seems a bit small.

We would need to implement partial tileset caching for example.

When we look on system requirements for Baldur's Gate (166 MHz CPU, 16 MB RAM, 2 MB video card RAM, 4X CD-ROM drive, DirectX 5.0, 300 MB available hard disk space, Windows 95) we can see the psp version i theoretically possible. With ScummVM we can play The Curse of Monkey Island or Discworld 2 on psp therefore I think that playing BG is (if people making GemRB try hard) practically possible!

When we look on system requirements for Baldur's Gate (166 MHz CPU, 16 MB RAM, 2 MB video card RAM, 4X CD-ROM drive, DirectX 5.0, 300 MB available hard disk space, Windows 95) we can see the psp version i theoretically possible. With ScummVM we can play The Curse of Monkey Island or Discworld 2 on psp therefore I think that playing BG is (if people making GemRB try hard) practically possible!

640x480 resolution was a system requirement for Baldur's Gate, and it really doesn't work with anything less. If some modder were to spend a lot of time on it, perhaps it would be possible to make a GUI mod which worked in lower resolution (you'd have to make a completely new UI), but that is not anything the GemRB team are going to work on, we are just writing the engine.

The original BG2 might fit into that small memory, but we didn't really optimise it for memory size. GemRB is much more than BG2, it contains all of the Infinity Engine variants, many times using a more generic solution (no hardcoded stuff, but this takes up some additional code). Platform independency is also taking up space (for example, all our code needs an endian swapper of each and every dword/word).

Actually, I can imagine, that someone picking up GemRB's source, axing off the unneeded parts, could squeeze it into a 16 or 32M machine. But this is nowhere near our primary goal, by the time we would manage this, most of our potential users would have thrown away their stone-aged devices :)

Archived