Evilness

Bri

So how will Del react to evil PCs? If I recall correctly, in the Bioware three, being evil had little to no effect on the conversations, and in the Tashia mod, you had no chance if you were evil. Since I always use Chaotic Evil PCs, I guess I wish to know if you would make special diologues for evil characters, or if Del will not romance evil at all. Sorry if you already covered this elsewhere and my stupid self didn't see it. And no, I am not asking for a corruption.

Heh, this hasn't been answered before, but I will do so.

Del won't necessarily have a problem with evil characters unless they're out and out, "massacre everything in sight".  She won't necessarily try to redeem you, but she doesn't like stupidity either.  This will factor more in reputation, though, and not alignment (I mean, a Lawful Good Paladin at Reputation 2 committed acts even Genghis Khan would envy).

(So, for example, Tashia desires a reputation of 10 or 11...Delainy won't do that).

I...may...make special dialogues for evil characters, but turning Del evil won't be an option at this point.  (Hmm...alignment specific dialogues...not a bad idea).  Heh, I already planned, much like I did with Tashia, class specific dialogues.

Note that this doesn't mean that Del will put up with any abuse either (nor will she dish it out...though there will be some dialogues where you can be angry with her, and it won't end the romance.  That always ticked me off with the romances, the fact that you weren't allowed to show much in the way of irritation, since it could end the romance then and there...)

Heh, this hasn't been answered before, but I will do so.

Del won't necessarily have a problem with evil characters unless they're out and out, "massacre everything in sight".  She won't necessarily try to redeem you, but she doesn't like stupidity either.  This will factor more in reputation, though, and not alignment (I mean, a Lawful Good Paladin at Reputation 2 committed acts even Genghis Khan would envy).

(So, for example, Tashia desires a reputation of 10 or 11...Delainy won't do that).

I...may...make special dialogues for evil characters, but turning Del evil won't be an option at this point.  (Hmm...alignment specific dialogues...not a bad idea).  Heh, I already planned, much like I did with Tashia, class specific dialogues.

Note that this doesn't mean that Del will put up with any abuse either (nor will she dish it out...though there will be some dialogues where you can be angry with her, and it won't end the romance.  That always ticked me off with the romances, the fact that you weren't allowed to show much in the way of irritation, since it could end the romance then and there...)

I am pleased, I guess. I assumed you would ignore evil specific dialogue because not many people seem to use evil characters. And I suppose its better that way; BGII seems set up for good PCs, as being evil has few benefits (I like to keep a high Rep despite my evil alignment because things are too expensive otherwise, and stealing has a high rate of failure). And about the irritation thing, that ticked me off too! One wrong move, and Boom! Romance over with no chance at recovery. It is good to see that you will not follow the BGII trend in this respect.

Well, I am definitely not one of those who assume "evil" people are incapable of love (and in fact, I don't care to play with alignments per se.  I mean, if there is a paladin, there is a code he follows...but one can play a "good paladin" but be insufferably arrogant and worthy of a boot to the head).

However, the number of dialogues for evil/good/neutral won't be all that large (the majority will be the same throughout).  Probably just one or two differences.  And as I said, she would be willing to romance an evil person...as long as they weren't a psychopathic killer for example (then she would turn on that individual).  (And note, being evil doesn't mean stupid...and really, being evil doesn't mean one can't have a good reputation either.)

Now, I won't deny that there will be a few responses where if you choose wrong, that it won't end the romance (but these will be extreme cases), but in general, I don't necessarily see that happening.  As stated, there will be room for disagreement.

Also, no one will be forced to court Del, either of course.  They can choose to stay compatriots with her and leave it at that.

Will there be some things you can do that will make her turn on you, as with Aerie/Jaheira/LG Anomen?  Like poisoning the druid grove, agreeing to work for Firkraag, attacking Valygar for the Cowled Wizards, or handing Adalon's eggs over to the Lesser Demon Lord.

Will there be some things you can do that will make her turn on you, as with Aerie/Jaheira/LG Anomen?  Like poisoning the druid grove, agreeing to work for Firkraag, attacking Valygar for the Cowled Wizards, or handing Adalon's eggs over to the Lesser Demon Lord.

Yes, there will be some actions that will cause her to turn.

Not necessarily killing Valygar, but poisoning the druid grove would be a definite yes.

Some actions won't be against her mindset (though she is Neutral Good...she does have also a more wolf-like mindset as well).

So, killing an individual out of hand wouldn't necessarily necessitate her turning on you but a greater atrocity could.

Will there be some things you can do that will make her turn on you, as with Aerie/Jaheira/LG Anomen?  Like poisoning the druid grove, agreeing to work for Firkraag, attacking Valygar for the Cowled Wizards, or handing Adalon's eggs over to the Lesser Demon Lord.

Yes, there will be some actions that will cause her to turn.

Not necessarily killing Valygar, but poisoning the druid grove would be a definite yes.

Some actions won't be against her mindset (though she is Neutral Good...she does have also a more wolf-like mindset as well).

So, killing an individual out of hand wouldn't necessarily necessitate her turning on you but a greater atrocity could.

oh good...i can still sell valygar's body for the 3rd ring of ram...whew!!! :D

Well, I am definitely not one of those who assume "evil" people are incapable of love (and in fact, I don't care to play with alignments per se.  I mean, if there is a paladin, there is a code he follows...but one can play a "good paladin" but be insufferably arrogant and worthy of a boot to the head).

Doesn't that sound like someone we know :D

To make things a bit easier on yourself, rather than linking certain dialogues to the character's alignment, you could link them to the dialogue choices that indicate alignment. It sounds like that's what you're going to do anyway, but I thought I'd make the suggestion, just in case. :D

Well, I did say that there will be 2 romance tracks (assuming that my creativity lasts)  I mean, if both tracks start looking like each other after the first initial dialogues, I will scrap it...

Otherwise, though, if it is just one track, linking to just alignments makes more sense at the moment...

I *never* play as an evil PC (I have Dungeon Keeper for this :D ), and for that matter I never play neutral, as well. I just can't bring myself to commit any less than moral acts. I guess I've been playing as the Avatar of the Eight Virtues for too long.

IMO I don't think Del has a high tolerance for evil at all. She did, after all, help the PC and his party escape the werewolf isle and it's less than tolerant denizens. My two cents.

Uriel

Heh, well Uriel, as I said, I will try to make it so that those who prefer one or the other won't feel left out, though I will admit that I don't know if I will be able to pull off evil dialogues per se.  On the other hand, I will have it so that Del will comment on it...and tolerate it to some extent...within reason...

But that part is still in the back of my mind as I polish off the NPC banters.

Archived