A Cry for Help From a Desperate Man

Unithralith

From IESDP:

WAV files should be 22050 Hz, 16 bit and mono.
This is what I was thinking of earlier, but couldn't remember. Make sure your audio files match these settings and then see if they'll play in the game...

As I eluded to, but Ardanis made more articulate, look for an @20000 in your files. If you've got one then weidu is thinking that you have a tra file.

A .tra file is a text file used to list the text strings used both in the game by the mod and during the installation of the mod. It is useful when you wish to make a mod that will be translated into other languages. It is not required to make one to create a mod.

That's all useful information, thanks guys.

Anyways, after some fiddling I got my sound to work, but the ogg decoder I used seems to add a little "click" at the beginning and end of each file once they are installed. I checked the original .oggs and .wavs and they are perfectly fine; only the installed ones "click". Why would that be, and how could I fix that?

As an aside, I don't have any files or lines of code that have any reference to "@20000". It isn't bothering me too much though, as from the sounds of it it is non-essential, and WEIDU just skips over it anyways.

Thanks again for all the help.

It is possible that something isn't getting properly evaluated and is being converted into @20000. Check your SETs and SPRINTs. If you use a SET instead of a SPRINT, the text value would be converted into some weird value...

Without doing an actual overview of your files, I couldn't pin point what is causing it. Just cause it seems to be a minor error, doesn't mean that it is okay to leave alone. That minor error might be a warning that something is way off inside one of your files.

Weidu doesn't know what you are doing and spits out the first valid error it finds. Example: It can't tell that you forgot a "~". It just knows that when it reaches the next "~" there is no valid command that it is expecting to find...

Don't know what program you use to do your tp2 creating, but I find ConText to be very helpful. One, there are highlighters available (from one of these IE game forums). Two, you can have line numbers on the side to help you locate errors spit out by weidu. Three, it's free.

It is possible that something isn't getting properly evaluated and is being converted into @20000. Check your SETs and SPRINTs. If you use a SET instead of a SPRINT, the text value would be converted into some weird value...

Without doing an actual overview of your files, I couldn't pin point what is causing it. Just cause it seems to be a minor error, doesn't mean that it is okay to leave alone. That minor error might be a warning that something is way off inside one of your files.

Weidu doesn't know what you are doing and spits out the first valid error it finds. Example: It can't tell that you forgot a "~". It just knows that when it reaches the next "~" there is no valid command that it is expecting to find...

Don't know what program you use to do your tp2 creating, but I find ConText to be very helpful. One, there are highlighters available (from one of these IE game forums). Two, you can have line numbers on the side to help you locate errors spit out by weidu. Three, it's free.

Cool, I'll look into that.

On the sound issue, is there any real necessity that I use ogg files at all, or could I just use .wav files? I understand that would make the download size a bit bigger, but is that really much of an issue?

Perhaps I'm just using a shitty decoder. What ones do you use?

Point taken. Any ideas how I could stop my oggdec from adding those insufferable clicking sounds then?

You mean "clicks" at the end and/or beginning of the sound file? Use Audacity (or similar audio editing program) to cut them out. Open the file in the program and you see a graphic display of a sound wave. You should cut it right where the sound wave crosses the zero line. (If I remember correctly.)

Point taken. Any ideas how I could stop my oggdec from adding those insufferable clicking sounds then?

You mean "clicks" at the end and/or beginning of the sound file? Use Audacity (or similar audio editing program) to cut them out. Open the file in the program and you see a graphic display of a sound wave. You should cut it right where the sound wave crosses the zero line. (If I remember correctly.)

Yes, the clicks are at the very beginning and very end of the sound files. The perplexing thing is that I already cut the originals down to be the appropriate length, and there are no clicks. The clicks seem to be added on by my oggdec. I'm definitely no guru on there matters, but if I edit those post-conversion wave files, if it were installed on a different machine it would still click, wouldn't it?

Ok, here is a rapidshare link to one of my sound files. Note the distinctive "clicks" at beginning and end. As I mentioned before, my original ones are fine; only the ones modified by oggdec do that.

http://rapidshare.com/files/271144897/WR_Ill22.wav.html

Oh, and could this line of code from my Setup file be responsible for my @20000 error?

SET_2DA_ENTRY 0 2 3 ~WR#BLANK.MUS~

I copied the line from Ace's guide, but I was never completely sure what it was for.

Thanks again for all the help.

Ok, here is a rapidshare link to one of my sound files. Note the distinctive "clicks" at beginning and end. As I mentioned before, my original ones are fine; only the ones modified by oggdec do that.

Can you upload the original .ogg as well? There are definitely clicks in the .wav.

Here is the original:

http://rapidshare.com/files/271167074/WR_Ill22.ogg.html

Can you upload the original .ogg as well? There are definitely clicks in the .wav.

Here is the original:

http://rapidshare.com/files/271167074/WR_Ill22.ogg.html

The .ogg has clicks, too, so it's probably not that oggdec is introducing them, but that you need to clean up the .ogg files ahead of time.

Audacity can do this, plus it's free and also has an easy-to-use noise removal feature that will help to eliminate background noise and static from your files (just be sure to include a second or two without any talking in each recording so it can isolate what needs to be removed).

Archived