GemRB needs a logo

lynx

I really like the last one, it looks pretty professional, so I took the liberty of recolouring it and adding another variation of it more suited to really small sizes like 16x16.

Windows icon sizes; 256, 48, 32, and 16:

logo04_square_256_0001_Blue.pnglogo04_square_48_0001_Blue.pnglogo04_square_32_0001_Blue.pnglogo04_smallsquare_16_0001_Blue.png

Three variations and six colours:

logo04_0001_Blue.png

logo04_0002_Turqoise.png

logo04_square_0003_Green.pnglogo04_square_0004_Yellow.png

logo04_smallsquare_0005_Purple.pnglogo04_smallsquare_0006_Pink.png

Yeah, I think Sam's design is overall the best. The coloring is easy to tweak too and if we use Dakk's idea, we have a winner. I'll run it by the other devs. :)

edit: so far, 3/3 votes for it. :p

Cogs are problematic for such a simple logo due to their detail. I don't see how they could be combined without that effect, albeit there is space at e or the upper part of g.

In the last post I hit the limit on how many images I can add to a single post, so this post is for yet another edit of Sam's logo idea: blue gem and red square.

I think the "e" would be the best place for a cogwheel. But, like lynx, I have trouble seeing how.

logo04_red-blue.png

It's not about the maximum, but the minimum. If the user has opted for small icons, then declarative support of bigger ones by the system is of no use to her.

On the contrary, a larger icon can always be scaled down (at least Windows and Mac OS X do that). Smaller sizes are only of use when the larger version does not scale well or the system cannot use it at all (such as Windows 2000 or 98 that cannot reference the 48x48 or 96x96 images, and Windows XP and 2003 that cannot reference the 256x256 ones, so the exe or ico need to contain at least 32x32, 96x96, and 256x256 to be fully usable by all the important Windows versions). Of course, I don't know how Gnome, KDE, other Unix desktop managers and various available file managers handle icons, but I assume there's no common way since there are a multitude of different graphical interfaces that each seem to do things in their own way.

Then there's also the (probably lesser, and definitely later) matter of different colour depths. All the logos so far work best if the icon can use 8-bit transparency, something not possible in Windows 2000, Me, and 98, as those only support binary transparency (full and none, for each pixel). Even the last logo with its clean lines use 8-bit transparency between the fully opaque black and the full transparency outside it, and need to be rerendered for a 24 or 8-bit icon on Windows 2000 and 98 so that it doesn't contain white halos where the original is partially transparent (and the whole gem in my idea is slightly transparent).

Sorry, I've gone off tangent, but I'll leave this where it is - the icon specifics is a matter to be handled later, and probably doesn't even need much discussion. I would of course be happy to help with creating complete icon sets for Windows and Mac OS X.

Guest Guest

You could just slip one in underneath the E. Since the shape is so familiar, it can be very simple.

cogrb4.png

It would require cleaning up at lower sizes, but it's still fairly recognizable at 12.5%.

Guest mina86

I like the second one better, as it has less detail that can misscale. Good job! Do you have it available in a vector format?

Personally, I'd go for the first one. When scaling down, the cog could be removed altogether -- no one expects small size logos to have the same amount of details as the big logos, so the small logos could use the second design and big logos the first.

Also, adding another cog under "g" could look nice as well. Of course the two cogs would be joint.

Right, I've completely forgotten to post the later vector versions I've made here, only linked them in the IRC channel some time ago.

whole logo, 4 versions (I think the 8-cog version was the most popular one)

"rb" only, for a "square" design (like icons)

gem only (the one inside the b), for very small squares where the "rb" may be too blurry (16*16 icons, for example)

Guest Guest

The 8-cog version is definitely superior to my initial 9-cog version (which was an extremely quick and lazy cut-and-paste job to begin with).

I still think the "outer cog" version has a certain appeal, though...

Archived