Icewind Dale II

-JR-

Guest Guest_PetrusOctavianus_*
Why are there no mods for Icewind Dale II? Is it hard to mod, or just less popular?
What are we? Invisible... perhaps, and then there is the fact that the games ruleset is totally bogus, but that's my opinion.

The game should be as easy to modify as the other IE games, and the editors support it too, so in my mind, the rule set is the thing to blame.

The most annoying thing about ICW2, and which made to quit playing it, was the combat. Enemy meleers would head straight for the mage, and with no grid and no opportunity attack rules it was virtually impossible for fighters to block the enemies, making battles chaotic and frustrating. Even a tiny gap between to warriors were big Ogres able to squease by in their quest for Mage Goo...

Too bad, since the maps were more tactical in nature than than those of BG1-2 and ICW 1. :-(

Yeah, it might be harder on the harder difficulty levels as their damage output is way off, but I generally used the 'block-run-away-artillery-bash' tactics worked well for me, which in simple terms tells to block an entrance to the mage until his spell is launched, and then run away from the explosion with the 'bash' feat-ed barbarians(the best meat shield in the game), as they can get away with proper targeting and still get most of the monsters dead... of course that's gets to be boring.

And yes, the no attack of opportunity is a rule screw up for the engine...

so in my mind, the rule set is the thing to blame.
:)

While I have not played IWD2 in some time now, I like its ruleset more than IWD1/BG's.

I was never able to wrap my head around the THAC0 and AC decreaseing as a bonus (e.x.:-2 bonus to THAC0). IWD2's was all consistent, and later eased my introduction to D&D 3.5, which is what I've grown up in, though I have heard that 4.0 is promising.

Perhaps that would be and idea for a next engine: use 4.0 rules.

let's just see if that has wings :) !

While I have not played IWD2 in some time now, I like its ruleset more than IWD1/BG's.

I was never able to wrap my head around the THAC0 and AC decreaseing as a bonus (e.x.:-2 bonus to THAC0). IWD2's was all consistent, and later eased my introduction to D&D 3.5, which is what I've grown up in, though I have heard that 4.0 is promising.

Perhaps that would be and idea for a next engine: use 4.0 rules.

let's just see if that has wings :) !

I liked the older rules. The system itself was more unique and characters were more unique. 4.0 is more like any other RPG and characters are more generic.

The one tactic that is both very brave and very foolish that I used very often: Panic.

This means that the enemy is on all sides, and seeing no other way out and all your guys have high reflex saves/HP/are warriors, you drop a fireball on top of your party and watch the enemy DIE!!!!!!!!!! :D:):) !!!!!! (sorry, got carried away ;) ). Afterwords the fighters just mop up the mess and you continue onwards.

And while the significance of weapon damage types has gone down, weapons still have special properties that give incentive to use them. I know they exist in PnP, but idk if they have been thought to be implemented in and IE games.

Archived