Beholder Ray Burn Through

Drelnza

During install I chose to not give beholders any chance of burning through wizards' defenses. Protected by Spell Deflection no rays get through for a while, however after a few seconds they do make it through, depending on how many beholders there are. Is this intentional behaviour?

Loving SCSII, who needs new games for Christmas! :)

Yes, as if they are firing rays, your Spell Deflection will be exhausted.

Icen

Thanks...so is this a vanilla feature then?

If it is indeed the case that the rays eventually burn through anyway, I think it would be a nice point to be added to the readme just for completeness sake: even if you don't install the 30% chance of rays burning through, there is still a small chance of it happening anyway.

I am not sure if my Spell Deflection was actually cancelled or whether a ray just bypassed the protection...will carry out some tests....

Guest Incantatar
Yes, as if they are firing rays, your Spell Deflection will be exhausted.

Icen

Thanks...so is this a vanilla feature then?

If it is indeed the case that the rays eventually burn through anyway, I think it would be a nice point to be added to the readme just for completeness sake: even if you don't install the 30% chance of rays burning through, there is still a small chance of it happening anyway.

I am not sure if my Spell Deflection was actually cancelled or whether a ray just bypassed the protection...will carry out some tests....

I'm pretty sure the rays count as spells in that matter and Spell Deflection gets depleted after a certain amount of spell levels (it's in the spell description).

I'm pretty sure the rays count as spells in that matter and Spell Deflection gets depleted after a certain amount of spell levels (it's in the spell description).
Yeah, the original Spell Deflection and Spell Turning do almost the same thing, just using different opcodes. (one regenerates lost spells, the other returns the spell to the original target) up to a certain spell level maximum.

I don't even think why the beholders would need anything different -is it cause their spells are originally cast at level zero, hmm.

And if the original poster used the D0QuestPack, the beholders are already corrected, or so I assume.

Beholder's rays have the same spell level of the respective spells they simulate. Thus the slowing ray is a 3rd lvl spell, the disintegrating ray is a 6th lvl spell, and so on.

Vanilla's Death Ray was supposed to be of 5th lvl, but the most importan opcode has 'power lvl 0' which means it bypasses any spell protection a la Dispel Magic. SCSII seems to use a custom Death Ray with 'power lvl 7'.

Long story short, these rays will probably tear down any Spell Deflection/Reflection quite soon considering they fire them as a vulcan machinegun.

My playtesting experience is that exhaustion of spell deflection by beholder eyestalks is pretty glitchy - hence the "burn through" component. If exhaustion worked in a glitch-free way, I wouldn't include that component.

@Demi: do Vulcans make especially good machine guns?

Archived