INSANE amount of high rolls in modded game?

Gay Lord

Hey all !

I'm playing with Easy Tutu, and a few other mods. I've started playing again after a few years. I've noticed that random rolls for things in the game seem to be the highest possible an inordinate amount of the time. I don't remember it being like this when I played last.

Monsters seem to be rolling 20s fairly often, and frequently on the first round of combat. What's more, the crits seem to not only be for max damage every single time, they sometimes seem to be for more than possible (saying that without knowing the stats of monsters). Unless I'm mistaken, I thought crits only did double damage, not double max damage. Normal damage rolls for both monsters and me also frequently are for max damage.

Hit point gains on levelup are often max, and other effects often seem to be max. While it's possible this is from a mod I've installed, I would think a mod would make all rolls max, not just some, if it was going to go that route. I don't remember any of the mods saying they did this.

Is this just a consequence of the "random" number generator? Is it my own faulty perceptions at work, only noticing exceptional rolls and so thinking they are uncommon when they really aren't? I remember a similar problem with Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil (someone even wrote a funny story about it).

Since I only play hardcore, this is all quite distressing, as I've already started over a few times after being critted for insane damage. While I don't see the damage done to me, knowing that they took out my fully healed char in one hit tells me they're doing a lot, and I've seen their numbers when taking out my allies.

Is this common? Do you guys see top rolls very often, or is it just me?

In that case, it is probably one of these two things:

Is this just a consequence of the "random" number generator? Is it my own faulty perceptions at work, only noticing exceptional rolls and so thinking they are uncommon when they really aren't?
It is practically impossible to generate truly "random" numbers on a computer, but I suspect it's more of the latter, in that there are so many rolls you probably only notice the extraordinary ones.
It is practically impossible to generate truly "random" numbers on a computer, but I suspect it's more of the latter, in that there are so many rolls you probably only notice the extraordinary ones.

Aye, you can check system clock and generate an infinite amount of "near-to-random" numbers thanks to modulo, still, it's not truely random.

Enemies in SCS have quite high damage outcome thanks to potions of strenght and raised levels. Item Revision improves damages dealt with bludgeoning weapons. Also there exists Borsook's MixMod which grants bonuses to damage/thaco/AC etc. Are you using any of these?

I'm using Item Revisions, yes. After my last death and startover, I added SCS. Now, the extreme rolls seem to have gone down actually. Now combats only occasionally open with 20s and max damage, while still common on crits, isn't as common on normal hits.

However Monty the assassin is doing more damage on a backstab than he's supposed to, and I still can't figure out how.

Does anybody know if any of the mods, like SCS maybe, give all opponents weapon specialization in their attacks, or maybe +2 damage somehow? I'm just trying to figure out how kobolds are critting with shortbows for 16 damage, or gibberlings are critting for 20. Monty the first level assassin also seems to be backstabbing for triple damage.

Does anybody know if any of the mods, like SCS maybe, give all opponents weapon specialization in their attacks, or maybe +2 damage somehow? I'm just trying to figure out how kobolds are critting with shortbows for 16 damage, or gibberlings are critting for 20. Monty the first level assassin also seems to be backstabbing for triple damage.

I've seen Gibberlings do as much as 12 damage without getting criticals. Looking in NI I can't find out *why* they do so much damage, though. :)

Well, the kobold commandos cheat, as we know. They have special undroppable arrows that do 1d6 damage + 1d6 fire damage +2 (multiply all that for criticals). If you don't like that, install the Realistic Kobold Commandos component from the Aurora mod (link in my signature). As for the gibberlings, I don't see any special reason either they should do more than 1d8 slashing damage (except for criticals).

Well, the kobold commandos cheat, as we know. They have special undroppable arrows that do 1d6 damage + 1d6 fire damage +2 (multiply all that for criticals). If you don't like that, install the Realistic Kobold Commandos component from the Aurora mod (link in my signature). As for the gibberlings, I don't see any special reason either they should do more than 1d8 slashing damage (except for criticals).

I'm using SCS which reduces elemental arrow damage to 1d3 (although apparently only for dropped arrows; the arrows the commandos shoot still do 1d6). However, what is the +2 you mention from? Is this only for commandos, because it seems all kobolds have this +2 on their arrow damage.

I'm using SCS which reduces elemental arrow damage to 1d3 (although apparently only for dropped arrows; the arrows the commandos shoot still do 1d6). However, what is the +2 you mention from? Is this only for commandos, because it seems all kobolds have this +2 on their arrow damage.
Only commandos have the arowkc.itm IIRC which is the cheated arrow. The +2 is its hit/damage bonus. So apart from having a better chance to hit, the little suckers can do 14 base damage with those things, even before other bonuses for crits. Not sure if missile users get that +4 bonus against other missile users. That seems pretty stupid (but doesn't mean it isn't true).

SCS doesn't change the kobold arrows btw, because DavidW is a fan of horrifically challenging kobolds.

Archived